Author Topic: CSU vs NKU Horizon league championship  (Read 1876 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
CSU vs NKU Horizon league championship
« on: March 07, 2023, 04:26:21 PM »
I'm going with CSU and would not be surprised if NKU  wins (sound like a politician ).   CSU seems to be playing their best basketball late in the season and guys like Tae Williams and Drew Lowder are reallying playing at a higher level than earlier.    Chris Brandon of NKU played fantastic last night but I'm thinking CSU's Deante Johnson can match up well with him.

Enaruna of CSU and NKU's Warrick will get their points but Coach Horn of NKU has shown that he can really game plan.
Got of give coach Robinson of CSU a lot of credit for putting this team together after coach Gates left and took his best two players to Mizzou.  Robinson had an easier time than coach C did since 6 years ago players couldn't transfer in right away.    I know a lot of you don't really care since YSU lost but I would like to see a Horizon league team do something in the NCAA tournament.

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: CSU vs NKU Horizon league championship
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 05:51:20 PM »
I'm going with CSU too.  I have some personal ties to CSU and was hoping for a northeast Ohio championship showdown. Disappointed YSU couldn't get to the NCAA's to be sure, but it was great to have so many competitive and meaningful games and fans in the seats at Beeghly this year! 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 06:51:39 PM »
CSU
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 09:13:03 PM »
Once again NKU defense was suffocating where they turn you over or get their hands in the passing lanes that leads to steals.   Coach Horn has this team playing team basketball.  Too bad they're going to be a 16 seed.

I thought CSU overall athletes would get the job done as I thought with YSU.   Might be underestimating NKU's overall talent.

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 09:21:40 PM »
I have to honestly say that Northern Kentucky and Cleveland State were better than YSU. YSU was the best offensive team in the conference, but lacked the defense and rebounding that generally wins at tournament time. It was still a great year for YSU…one that stirred the greatest interest in our student body that I can remember.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2023, 11:08:39 PM »
Remember we have the NIT so our season is not over.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2023, 09:15:30 AM »
From a purely basketball perspective, it was fun having such a balanced conference and being in the mix. I generally don't like college basketball as much as the pros just due to quality of play. But----the tournament games were really fun and compelling. There wasn't a ton of daylight between the top 4 teams in the conference and the next tier down wasn't terrible.

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2023, 09:56:59 AM »
The Horizon is the 21st ranked conference but is hurt by Green Bay and IUPUI being two of the four lowest-rated teams in DI.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2023, 12:39:38 PM »
You can't take away from what the Penguins did this year but Northern Kentucky is relatively new to Division 1 and Cleveland State lost their coach and several players yet they still won 20 games and went to the tourney championship.  that hurts 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 12:40:19 PM by YSU1 »

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2023, 04:33:25 PM »
Unless we recruit some transfers we are not going to take a step back next year.  500 ball at best.  that is if we don't lose any talent and can get Rush to return.   I think we have 3 spots left   Better be from the portal.. think length coach Calhoun

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2023, 04:34:26 PM »
are not was supposed to be are

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2023, 07:40:28 PM »
Not certain of a guarantee to the NIT.  I was watching the MAC matchup between Kent and Akron, and the commentators indicated that second place in the MAC tournament does guarantee placement in the NIT tourney! What does that say about our tourney?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2023, 08:21:30 PM »
Automatically qualify for NIT because they give bids to regular season league winners that would fail to win the conference tournament.   That is what it is.  We deserve it.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2023, 12:42:10 PM »
Yes! We deserve it!  And should be in!  Hoping we win the whole damn thing actually!  I simply indicating what I heard the commentators say during the MAC broadcast!