Author Topic: Horizon league tournament  (Read 4699 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon league tournament
« on: February 25, 2023, 08:30:24 AM »
It is at the Farmers Arena.  Home of IUPUI.  WATCH out especially for Fort Wayne.   Didn't realize that.  Home town fans will be there.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon league tournament
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2023, 01:12:14 PM »
IUPUI would have to win 2 road games to get to play there.  Right now PFW is a 9 seed and has a shot at an 8 seed so they would have to win at least 1 if not possibly 2 road games to get there. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 06:28:21 PM »
Home game this Thursday. Double header with the women who start at 530 and then the guys after. Come out and support both folks! All reserved seating is already sold out. Should be a great crowd!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2023, 07:02:17 PM »
Wear red everyone!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 12:37:50 PM »
Time to get it started tonight. 

Detroit is a 5.5-point favorite at home against PFW.  The winner of this is most likely YSU's opponent Thursday.  Detroit beat PFW both time this season.  Detroit beat them by 9 the first time and 33 the second time.  You never know what Detroit team shows up.  PFW has underachieved all year as they have a lot of returning players from last year's 21-12 team that tied for the Horizon League regular season championship.  YSU struggles with them and even though Detroit has Davis and it's hard to beat a team 3 times in one year, I think I'd rather see Detroit win.

Wright State is a 21.5-point favorite at home against Green Bay.  Wright St beat them by 32 and 31 points already this year.  I don't see anyway GB can pull off an upset, but they have been playing better of late so I'll be surprised if WSU beats them that bad again.  GB has beat Milwaukee, played YSU competitive for almost the entire first half, was beating CSU into the 2nd half before losing by 11, lost to Detroit by 5, and had 2 other losses of 15 points & under.  I feel like WSU is the team outside of the top 4 that could go on run in the tourney.     

Robert Morris is a 14.5-point favorite at home against IUPUI.  That line seems high.  RMU won by 7 at home the first game and lost to them by 6 last week on the road.  IUPUI seems to beat the spread a lot and despite their 5-26 record they play pretty competitively.  RMU can beat anyone but also can lose to anyone.  I'm glad YSU can't play them on Thursday.  Let's hope for the IUPUI upset in this one.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 09:15:35 PM »
Detroit it is. Davis had 38, 8 and 8 tonight. Gonna be a tough matchup!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 09:25:08 PM »
I think Davis can set the all-time scoring record against us.   Just saying!!   Game will be a tough one.  Hard to beat a team 3x in a season.  Very tough.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »
Looks like IUPUI gave all RMU can handle at RMU.  RMU won but only by 3

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 09:47:58 PM »
Davis needs just 25 points against us.  So we need the same kind of defense against him like we did last time out when he scored only 15.  Going to be tough one. Yes it is.  I would have rather have played PFW. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 10:17:28 PM »
Detroit matches up well against PFW and beat them all 3 games pretty convincingly.  YSU doesn't & struggles with them so that's why I'd rather play Detroit.  YSU has won 3 straight against Detroit & 6 of the last 8.  I'm guessing we're going to see a lot of Myles Hunter as he his length with the double team gave Davis fits in the last game. 

I was really hoping IUPUI could pull off the upset, and they had a chance.  They made a big comeback in the closing mins, tied it up with 10 seconds to go but RMU hit a 3 with 2 seconds to go.  IUPUI's desperation 3 hit from beyond halfcourt hit the rim.  IUPUI sure played better than their record for most of the year especially the 2nd half of the season.  They were in so many games and either couldn't close them out or ran out of steam.  I'm betting they win more games next year. 

Green Bay played Wright State a lot better than the first 2 games.  They lost by 20 but the game was between 8-13 most of the way.

So no upsets in the first round

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2023, 10:18:52 PM »
It's tournament time!  You got to play who is front of you!

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2023, 07:17:33 AM »
1. I’m a big Pete Maravich fan so it pains me to see Davis will likely break his record (albeit needing a 5th year) but against us specifically.

2. This game scares me. Winning 3 against same team in one year is tough and they have been playing well as of late. This will be a tough one. We MUST come ready to play.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2023, 07:41:06 AM »
Need 6k in stands wearing all red.  What's up with the attendance as of late seems like more in stands than announced and Calhoun made a comment that we are having issues tracking attendance.   Hummmm

Offline Commissioner

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2023, 10:51:51 AM »
Home game this Thursday. Double header with the women who start at 530 and then the guys after. Come out and support both folks! All reserved seating is already sold out. Should be a great crowd!

Give me the scoop, Penguins. I'm a Titan fan down in SE Ohio. I've been to Beeghly several times for UDM/YSU games, but tickets--as is always the case in the Horizon League--were never an issue. Want to be at this one to be there when Davis breaks the scoring record. Anyway, what's the story--is there unreserved seating available at game time? I don't want to drive 2 hours for no reason.

And congratulations on a fine season. Calhoun was a perfect hire for YSU and I think the success can be sustained.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2023, 01:13:55 PM »

Give me the scoop, Penguins. I'm a Titan fan down in SE Ohio. I've been to Beeghly several times for UDM/YSU games, but tickets--as is always the case in the Horizon League--were never an issue. Want to be at this one to be there when Davis breaks the scoring record. Anyway, what's the story--is there unreserved seating available at game time? I don't want to drive 2 hours for no reason.

And congratulations on a fine season. Calhoun was a perfect hire for YSU and I think the success can be sustained.

I think that you would be safe to make the drive. Just to be sure you could buy a ticket online by going to www.ysusports.com.