Author Topic: Recruiting class  (Read 4134 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Recruiting class
« on: February 01, 2023, 06:07:06 PM »
Not impressed at all.  Hopefully we get some portal transfers

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting cla$$
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 06:08:23 PM »
Qb out of Springfield a 2 star player sounds promising.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 07:52:09 PM »
Wasn't that just the recruits for the 2nd part of signing day.  I thought they got a bunch back in December.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 10:02:44 PM »
Yes, this is the second batch of recruits.

Phillips' strategy to build strength on the lines is now quite clear.  He is recruiting tall linemen that weigh much less than 300 pounds.  He is confident that he can add bulk on those frames in the 2 plus years it will take for them to see the field. At the FCS level that makes sense.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 04:11:01 PM »
I think we missed the ball in recruiting local talent. The QB from South Range has real potential.  Great arm and can run.

BushwoodCC

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 04:17:05 PM »
I think we missed the ball in recruiting local talent. The QB from South Range has real potential.  Great arm and can run.
The solution to winning in 2023 isn't always going to be local talent. If local talent has MAC or decent FCS offers that is one thing, but if they don't there is a reason for it. Most of the local kids in this class are PWO's. Look at the numbers the Lowellville kid put up. Great for the HS Level vs D7 opposition, but against the big boys in the Dakotas, you tell me?

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 04:40:08 PM »
The plan is to get D1 FCS players on our roster.  The lineman have to meet a height requirement now.  Just like what Wolford recruited. I see us getting deeper here. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 05:57:38 PM »
It looks like the o-linemen YSU are recruiting is like the Iowa method were you get an undersized (weight) guy and red-shirt him and get the players in the weight room.  Iowa and other schools that can't get the 5 star 330 lb blue chip will take tight ends who have great foot work and make them into linemen.

As far as our local qb that put up monster numbers,you have to take in account that he is throwing to D7 wide outs and has D7 O-line blocking for him.   Maybe he's an exceptional talent at a small school ?

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 06:07:16 PM »
The solution to winning in 2023 isn't always going to be local talent. If local talent has MAC or decent FCS offers that is one thing, but if they don't there is a reason for it. Most of the local kids in this cla$$ are PWO's. Look at the numbers the Lowellville kid put up. Great for the HS Level vs D7 opposition, but against the big boys in the Dakotas, you tell me?

I guess only time will tell
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 06:37:13 AM »
The solution to winning in 2023 isn't always going to be local talent. If local talent has MAC or decent FCS offers that is one thing, but if they don't there is a reason for it. Most of the local kids in this cla$$ are PWO's. Look at the numbers the Lowellville kid put up. Great for the HS Level vs D7 opposition, but against the big boys in the Dakotas, you tell me?

Per 247 sports, that kid only had 1 FBS offer (Kent) and one FCS (Eastern Illinois)
Did we not even offer him?

Also curious where you guys see the "star" rankings for some of these kids. Most I see is on 247

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 02:37:33 PM »
Ciom 7. You may be looking at the QB from west branch who signed with Kent.  The QB from south range is Billy Skripac who may be choosing baseball over football.  Big loss for football.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 06:36:25 PM »
The QB for West Branch did Sign with Kent St. and had offer form E. illinois.  Why couldn't we offer him or did he just turn us down??

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 09:40:17 AM »
I'm of the mind set that QB recruiting with the guy from Springfield who put up prolific numbers and Vinny balone who also had great stats that we're fine.  also,Beu Brunguard has four years of eligibility.

Worried about the ones that we recruit work out more than the ones  we don't get.   No disrespect to the question since I too liked the kid from WB.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2023, 07:57:45 PM »
Ciom 7. You may be looking at the QB from west branch who signed with Kent.  The QB from south range is Billy Skripac who may be choosing baseball over football.  Big loss for football.

Supposed to be a hell of a pitcher right?

With him and the kid from Lowellville, have to take into account who they were playing against.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2023, 07:18:51 AM »
The QB for West Branch did Sign with Kent St. and had offer form E. illinois.  Why couldn't we offer him or did he just turn us down??

DeShields from WB was committed to Eastern Illinois then decommitted to sign with KSU