Author Topic: Detroit  (Read 2950 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Detroit
« on: January 28, 2023, 05:07:46 PM »
Big game.  2pm.   We normally are not very good in afternoon games so I hope we can bring back some of the excitement from Friday nite.  I am thinking somewhere between 2500 and 3k attendance.   Got to control Davis we cannot let him go off on us.  I look for a down to last possession type game.  Any thoughts????

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2023, 10:00:14 AM »
Detroit is a team you never know what you get.  The one constant is Davis.  He's going to get 25-30 points just don't want him going off for 40 and getting others more involved.  When they are make shots they are a dangerous team and can put up points and Davis can singlehandedly put them back in a game, but they can take themselves right out of games as well when they shoot to many 3's or contested shots.

I hope YSU can bring some intensity and it's not a dead atmosphere after Friday night and being a rainy Sunday with football on.  Can't have a letdown.  YSU can't afford to lose any games they should win.  Milwaukee was down 23 last night and came back and beat NKU by 1.  If YSU wins, they'll be tied for first.  CSU plays IUPUI so there could easily be a 4-way tie for first.  And the crazy thing is if YSU loses and Oakland beats RMU, they'd be tied for 4th.

The wild card team I worry about is Wright State.  They got off to a slow start this year, but have a great coach and some really good returning players like Calvin, Davis, Braun & Finke.  They've won 4 of the last 6 including sweeping Milwaukee to get to 6-6.  I'm afraid they could go on a run and/or be a dangerous team in the tourney.   

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2023, 11:10:23 AM »
So bottom line is we MUST WIN TODAY.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2023, 02:45:35 PM »
Going to be a tough one.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 02:49:37 PM »
YSU is getting dominated on the boards 24-12 at half. Missed so many points blank shots. Turned Detroit over 9 times & only scored 2 points. Held Detroit without any points the last 3:15 but couldn't cut into deficit.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 04:09:43 PM »
It must of been a heck of a party last friday night .   Guys had a lingering hangover the 1st half .  Couldn't make a shot 9 of 30 1st half.  Defense was slow too.   2nd half was a different team and really liked running another guy at Antoine Davis.

My player of the game was Adrian Nelson 18 points 11 rebounds and 3 of 3 from three.  Played his a$$ off.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 04:10:57 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 04:24:25 PM »
Nice bounce back in the second half. Keep it rolling boys!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 04:40:28 PM »
I was worried about a letdown after Friday night.  Give Coach a lot of credit for the adjustments in the 2nd half.  Really the defense played good the entire game and honestly kept them in it the first half even though YSU struggled rebounding the ball.  To hold Davis 10 points under his average & Detroit 10 points under their scoring average says a lot.  If you'd had said that before the game started, you'd think YSU would have won by 20+. 

DC was DC, but Nelson was a beast the 2nd half on the boards & hit 3 3's.  McBride's 2 3's were also huge.  Thought Myles Hunter played a nice game and even though he didn't score, Will Dunn, played well.  Green really struggled.

YSU gets their first ever season sweep against Oakland AND Detroit! CSU is on their way to going 9-3 so it looks like it's going to be a 4-way tie for 1st.  With Oakland losing today to RMU, there's finally some separation for the coveted top 4 spots as YSU now has a 2-game advantage over Oakland & the tiebreaker.   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2023, 04:53:21 PM »
S/O to the fans too. Another great crowd. This is really turning into a basketball school between the mens and womens programs. Great to see for the community!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2023, 05:06:18 PM »
S/O to the fans too. Another great crowd. This is really turning into a basketball school between the mens and womens programs. Great to see for the community!

Yes I thought it was a very good crowd...more than I expected for a rainy Sunday with the NFC championship game on.  I was worried people wouldn't come back after Friday night.  The crowd can certainly help in games like this.  It was tough to get into the game the first half.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2023, 08:50:27 PM »
Attendance was 3801 Friday yet today was 4100 yet no student section wasn't filled.   Hummmm.
Maybe paid attendance is what they go by.  lots of free tickets for friday game.   Good crowd for a Sunday non
the less. 

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 09:03:00 PM »
Attendance was 3801 Friday yet today was 4100 yet no student section wasn't filled.   Hummmm.
Maybe paid attendance is what they go by.  lots of free tickets for friday game.   Good crowd for a Sunday non
the less.

Yea I saw that too. No way there were more fans today than Friday. Has to be paid attendance. Either way, great to win both. Keep rolling! Important stretch upcoming!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 09:34:55 PM »
I"ll take it though

Offline penguin8797

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2023, 10:07:31 PM »
Local schools gave away a lot of free tickets. Went with my wife and grandkids. The kids were able to get 4 tickets each that they got at school.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2023, 08:46:53 AM »
So it is or not actual paid attendance?  I'm confused.  Much bigger crowd on Friday yet the announced crowd sunday was bigger.   Doesn't make sense to me.  oh well the fans are back.  YSU basketball is back so lets fill the arena rest of the year.