Author Topic: YSU VS OAKLAND  (Read 3959 times)

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU VS OAKLAND
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
Coach Roselli struggled his last four seasons. He went 9-15 in the MCC his last three seasons in Division II and 5-11 in the OVC(8-18 overall) his last season. That was our first season in Division I. Mike Rice brought 7-1 Ricky Tunstall, a future NBA 8th Round Draft pick, with him from Duquesne. He helped led YSU to 18-11 overall and 9-5 in OVC and 19-11 and 9-5 in OVC in his two seasons. Rice was 75-67 overall and 35-35 in the OVC.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2023, 07:15:12 PM »
Youngstown needs to fill Beeghley to the rafters.  These two teams deserve the support!   

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2023, 07:19:47 PM »
Youngstown needs to fill Beeghley to the rafters.  These two teams deserve the support!

100%

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2023, 09:14:00 AM »
Just finished watching the replay.  Who would have ever imagined YSU would turn the ball over 21 times, Cohill only scores 2 and they beat Oakland on the road by 15!? I knew Oakland would come out fired up the 2nd half & I was pretty nervous when Oakland got it down to 6. YSU looked deflated.  Great timeout by Coach as that stopped the bleeding and YSU got back in control.  YSU takes care of the ball a little better and they win by probably 25-30.

Rush and McBride are just playing lights out.  Hard to believe McBride didn't even want to start for much of the early season now he's a big reason why they are playing like they are.  He was really struggling shooting the 3 and was like 20% or so.  He's now 10-17 in the last 3 games and has upped his average to nearly 39%.

Nelson and Green are playing so confident.  They are around a double-double every night.  Green seems like he keeps getting better and better and played all 40 mins- usually don't see that.

Tough 2 games for Cohill. I said he didn't look himself at Detroit and that carried over to Saturday.  I feel like the game against Green Bay will be a good one to get him out of his funk. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
I wonder if Cohill’s issues are the result of the changes on offense to handle the double teamed on him.
As a result, he was playing out of synchronization while Rush and McBride are taking over the scoring. He became the one who would set up the scoring for others. I am not sure he used to play this role in early season
I also noticed that he didn’t drive to the basket as much.
This is team basketball at its best.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2023, 09:45:57 AM »
Green Bay is last and getting blown out most games.   We cannot take them lightly.  I repeat we cannot take them lightly.   Seems like they are double teaming Cohill and it is backfiring on the opposing team.   All it takes is too look ahead to Milwaukee.  We cannot get beat by a very lesser team.   With us tied for 1st with Milwaukee and Nku it is imperative that we win this weekend to take sole possession of 1st.   Milwaukee lost to Wright State at home last night in ot.    Look out for Wright St.   We have them along with NKU.   so lots of wins possible if we play the way we did last 2 games.  Seems like Ysu plays better on the road than at home.   What happened to Lovelace this weekend?  He didn't get much playing time.   

BushwoodCC

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2023, 03:20:45 PM »
Green Bay is last and getting blown out most games.   We cannot take them lightly.  I repeat we cannot take them lightly.   Seems like they are double teaming Cohill and it is backfiring on the opposing team.   All it takes is too look ahead to Milwaukee.  We cannot get beat by a very lesser team.   With us tied for 1st with Milwaukee and Nku it is imperative that we win this weekend to take sole possession of 1st.   Milwaukee lost to Wright State at home last night in ot.    Look out for Wright St.   We have them along with NKU.   so lots of wins possible if we play the way we did last 2 games.  Seems like Ysu plays better on the road than at home.   What happened to Lovelace this weekend?  He didn't get much playing time.
Lovelace is a tremendous player for a freshman. It says a lot about this team that he did not have the significant minutes this weekend that he previously had. We have great players that collectively are really starting to shine as a team!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2023, 05:47:05 PM »
The minutes from the bench have been fewer as of late.  Covington got the most at Oakland and the others were around 3 minutes.   Big road games seems to mean big minutes for the starters.

Still would like to see Lovelace's minutes up a little more.  He never hurts us when he's playing and bring some intangibles like defense,blocks and is a great finisher.   Will Dunn played a nice game off the bench at Detroit.

Wondering how Chris Shelton would do playing meaningful minutes.  I would think he could add some shooting against a zone but Cohill,Rush,and now McBride are providing that.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2023, 07:08:08 PM »
I personally think Lovelace and Shelton should get more minutes off bench.  Lovelace may transfer if not getting minutes with this transfer portal so much a big deal now.   Just saying

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2023, 08:04:17 PM »
I hope Lovelace gets more playing time too. He played with lots of energy. Hopefully, he will stay put since all the starters are gone after this season.
Of course, coach might bring in 5 new starters thru the portal next year. Lol

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2023, 08:41:03 AM »
3 verbals from HS ranks next year.  one is 7-3 Gabriel Dynes from Kentucky.  seems like a project at best.  the other two are around 6-4.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2023, 08:41:44 AM »
Initially they were going to redshirt Lovelace so I'm thinking he wasn't expecting much PT this year anyways.  Obviously anything can happen these days, but I'd be surprised if he'd transfer next season when I'm sure he'd be basically guaranteed to start. 

Shelton can obviously get hot from 3, but he doesn't seem to have a lot of speed and I don't think is a great defender.  He has good size, but doesn't seem like he wants to do much other than shoot 3's when he has played the last 2 seasons.  He was one I thought may transfer this season knowing his PT would decrease.  Coach seems to always give him praise. 

Still haven't heard any update on Shemar's status. 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2023, 05:04:25 PM »
3 verbals from HS ranks next year.  one is 7-3 Gabriel Dynes from Kentucky.  seems like a project at best.  the other two are around 6-4.

I watched a full game of Gabriel Dynes and hopefully he takes a red shirt year to get stronger.   His skill were not bad but he needs both weight an strength.    Blocks a lot of shot or alterd them.  Showed good hands and touch around the hoop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsDmJSdAUCs