Author Topic: Coach Phillips  (Read 1899 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Coach Phillips
« on: January 06, 2023, 09:28:30 AM »
Heard a rumor. Not sure if it is true. DP turned down a $700,000 offer from Fickell at Wisconsin to go coach up there. Not sure if the position that was offered but I can’t see him being a position coach. Maybe some administrative position. He did work with him when he was at UC so there may be some truth to it.

Go Guins.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Phillips
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 10:23:32 AM »
I would have took the money!  But glad he didn’t
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2023, 10:28:28 AM »
So you can't see Phillips being a position coach at Wisconsin but you can see him being a head coach here?

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2023, 01:20:05 PM »
Never heard that?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2023, 07:55:01 PM »
So you can't see Phillips being a position coach at Wisconsin but you can see him being a head coach here?
[/quote

Correct!  I think he can lead men and a program which he has proven as we have gone from 1-7, 3-7 to 7-4 from a program that Penislini left us nothing in recruits and with sanctions.  I don’t see him as tight ends coach at Wisconsin. But if that is your goal in life then fine. Go be an obscure coach in a struggling program or try to challenge yourself to bring a program back to prominence. Great leaders surround themselves with successful people. Tressel was a great leader of men and players and coaches who would run through a wall for him who went on to be successful coaches and men. Same at OSU. Some people have it. Some don’t. Heacock was a great position coach and defensive coordinator. His head coaching skills were deficient and his personality was his downfall. I think DP has a good demeanor as a head coach. Very personable.  I grade our head coaches by the play on the field by the players. They had heart this year. Never quit and bought into the program.  They could have easily quit on those three games that we rallied and won. We saw that way too much with Wolford and Penislini.  Very few are leaving in the portal which tells me they like the system and talking to a senior who just graduated- he loved him as a coach and mentor. Can’t ask for much more. Will it lead to us beating UNI and SDSU next year, I don’t know. But I like our prospects with him. He may need to look at play calling and how to handle the offense but I think we are in a good position right now for the amount of money we pay our assistants.

Go Guins!! 
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2023, 10:09:06 AM »
Heard a rumor. Not sure if it is true. DP turned down a $700,000 offer from Fickell at Wisconsin to go coach up there. Not sure if the position that was offered but I can’t see him being a position coach. Maybe some administrative position. He did work with him when he was at UC so there may be some truth to it.

Go Guins.

He was the running backs coach at UC before he came here wasn’t he?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
Phillips spent a considerable portion of his career in the field of education. Although everybody wants to be financially comfortable, educators have other priorities besides seeking maximum compensation.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2023, 12:02:07 PM »
Another way to look at it, he has built up a pretty good pension in the State of Ohio retirement system. I am not sure if the future years in Wisconsin system can transferred back to Ohio.
There are people who always want to be in charge, and money is only secondary. I have known people I worked with who wanted promotion without the additional $$$.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »
Regardless of what happened let's hope Phillips has signed a viable QB and RB out of the portal.  They need depth and experience at both positions. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2023, 02:10:58 PM »
If it is true, nice to know that people want our coach so he must be doing something right.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 04:05:34 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne