Author Topic: YSU - RMU MBB  (Read 1664 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - RMU MBB
« on: January 05, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
YSU is a 7.5-point favorite tonight. 

Last year YSU lost both home games to RMU.  They are 7-8 this year and 2-2 in the league.  They beat Wright St by 21 at Wright St, they beat PFW by 5, lost to NKU by only 4 at NKU and lost CSU by 9.  Some of their other losses include Ohio St, Dayton & Marshall. 

I feel like this is an important game for YSU.  Need to bounce back after the PFW loss at home, can't lose another one at home if they are going to compete for a title.  Saturday should be a given against IUPUI.  Need to get to 4-2 before heading on the road for 4 straight. 

I'd like to see YSU get off to a strong start early.  That seems to be lacking this year.  YSU is only +46 in the first half compared to +119 in the second half. 

Coach said in his press conference on Wednesday that they are still looking for a 5th starter.  He mentioned Hunter, McBride, and Lovelace.  Not sure what the deal with Shemar is; he wasn't mentioned.  His mins have dropped.  I know Coach had said he missed 2 days of practice last week due to being stuck in Toronto in the snowstorm and that's why he didn't play much in the CSU game, but did start in the PFW for Cohill then only played the first 3 mins.  He also said Covington is going to play this weekend. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - RMU MBB
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 03:25:26 PM »
It will be another close game.  I think RMU is better than the record indicates and we typically struggle with RMU.
Look for another close game at Beeghly.   Hopefully we can pull this one out.  All road games left will be hard to win unless we play really good defense.  Hit 3 pointers and don't have Cohill bring the ball up.  Teams are a figuring us out and press is what they will do with ball pressure at half court on Cohill.  Just my thougts.
3RD home loss this early in the league will be devastating.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 03:26:47 PM »
We lost to RMU at home in the Horizon tournament last year        Got off to a bad start

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 06:40:22 PM »
Shemar is using a crutch so that explains that.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 08:38:27 PM »
We lost to RMU at home in the Horizon tournament last year        Got off to a bad start

They look to be off to a great finish
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 08:55:47 PM »
Solid bounce back win at home.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 09:34:03 PM »
The Guins looked good tonight!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2023, 09:43:14 PM »
I didn't like the start YSU got off to again.  It seemed like there was a lid on the rim again.  RMU was making some tough, contested shots and was controlling the boards.  After getting down 6, YSU closed the first half strong and was up 4 at halftime. 

Second half was like a different game as YSU took control and everything was falling.  YSU was up by as many as 29 and won by 22. 

Excellent defensive effort holding RMU to 56.  They only had 44 points with a little over 5 mins to go.  Coach said he thought it was his best defensive effort since he's been at YSU.

Big difference was YSU made 9 3's compared to just 1 by RMU and was YSU was +12 at the FT line.  Another key stat was YSU turned them over 15 which led to 18 points and YSU had just 6 turnovers that led to 5 points.

Was great to see Covington play and really contribute with 9 points, 3 rebounds & a steal. 

That was a good, much needed win. Now YSU needs to close out the homestand by taking care of business Saturday against IUPUI.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2023, 10:02:18 PM »
I missed the post game so coach says that was their best defense during his tenure ?

Team had only 5 turnovers tonight .   Like seeing Mcbride getting minutes.  Brice got better as the game went along.   Covington's play tonight was encouraging.  Is it me or does he look a little thicker this year ?  Garrett's coming off the achillies injury which is one of the worst to come back from.

Duane Cohill 23 pts on 9 of 12 shooting 7 assists 3 steals and only 1 turnover equates to an almost perfect performance.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2023, 10:33:53 PM »
Great win for Guins..   Don't take IUPUI LIGHTLY  SATURDAY.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2023, 11:01:18 PM »
I missed the post game so coach says that was their best defense during his tenure ?

Team had only 5 turnovers tonight .   Like seeing Mcbride getting minutes.  Brice got better as the game went along.   Covington's play tonight was encouraging.  Is it me or does he look a little thicker this year ?  Garrett's coming off the achillies injury which is one of the worst to come back from.

Duane Cohill 23 pts on 9 of 12 shooting 7 a$$ists 3 steals and only 1 turnover equates to an almost perfect performance.

Yes he said on both the radio and the press conference it was their best defensive effort he thought in his tenure.  The one game that came to my mind was the Milwaukee game a few years ago at Milwaukee. 

I thought the same thing on Covington's size.  I noticed him not looking at as quick, but don't remember him looking that big earlier in the season.

I really like McBride's play.  He has great intensity on defensive.  He struggles from 3-PT but is automatic at the FT line...44 of 45!