Author Topic: Men's basketball vs IPFW  (Read 1448 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's basketball vs IPFW
« on: January 01, 2023, 09:56:06 AM »
FT Wayne brought their A game and YSU did not.  Props to IPFW and their pt guard controlled the game for them.

Don't like Duane on the point and thought McBride should have played to move Duane over off the ball.  That's a lot of stress & energy to run the point when he's needed for his offensive out put.  Also,Brice would of been the best defender with his speed and strength on FW point guard.   Coach knows a lot more than I do so he must see something I don't.

Robert Morris comes to Beeghly on Thursday and hopefully our guys can protect the home floor.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 09:57:20 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's basketball vs IPFW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:22:50 AM »
This is turning into a rerun of a bad movie. Plenty of hype and then unfulfilled expectations. Sure we have gifted offensive players, but the bottom line is we are a team with a 2-2 record in a low major league and we can't defend anybody.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 11:26:58 AM »
I wasn't able to be there in person but watched the replay.  It was one of those games I just kept waiting for YSU to get going and thought if they could get over the hump and take the lead they'd be ok.  YSU finally went on that 13-0 run in the 2nd half and I thought there it is they are in control now up 8.  Then gave up an 11-0 right after that and that was it as YSU never recovered. 

If you would have said before the game, YSU would be +9 at the FT line, +6 on the boards, 2 less turnovers, and would take 11 more shots than PFW, I would have said that easily be a recipe for victory.  I couldn't believe how many point blank shots and layups YSU missed- that and them hitting 12 3PT was the difference.  Adrian Nelson had 15 rebounds and was 5-6 at the FT line but just 1-8 shooting.  For as strong and solid as he is, I'm surprised he doesn't finish better at times.

YSU seems to struggle when they can't get out and run and have to run a half court offense.  There's times YSU just seems so out of sync. 

As deep as this team I thought was, it really only had 5 points from Lovelace and 2 from Hunter off the bench.  I too was surprised McBride didn't play more (9 mins).  I know Dunn hasn't contributed a lot this year, but I was surprised he saw no PT after scoring 20 last year at PFW against a lot of the same players. 

Still no Covington.  I know Shemar missed those 2 days of practice from being snowed in, but he never played after getting the start for Cohill, who apparently violated some team policy.  Shemar was out after the first stoppage 3 mins into the game.

I know we're only 4 games into league play, but YSU is basically 3 games behind NKU already as they are 4-0 and beat YSU. That game last night is a game you really need to win if you are going to compete for a league championship.  That's now 3 straight they've lost to PFW. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 12:46:53 PM »
Can't win big games if you can't play any defense and this team doesn't have that toughness yet to get a stop when they have to.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 03:00:11 PM »
Missing too many easy layups and short jump shots.
I agree with the comments that Cohill has spent too much energy running the point. At times, he just dribbled too much.
Hunter is a good defender, but he can’t shoot the ball consistently.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 06:27:09 PM »
I agree that Cohill should not be bringing the ball up court.  he gets trapped and has a turnover issue if he is trapped.   It was a game we could have won and should have won now making RMU game important to win.  We cannot win it then who knows where we are heading.   Does it seem that our team seems to not take warmups seriously that worry about dunking more than actual shooting and dribbling.  Other teams that have beaten us dunk in pre-game warmups less and they practice fundamentals.  Anyone catch that?  Thoughts anyone?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 07:28:45 PM »
YSU is a team made up of misfits and scorers.  All u can do is hope that they get hot at the right time.  Enjoy the ride cause without the portal this team and program are alot different.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 10:32:04 PM »
Our men's team is the transfers. Much of the time our 5 players on the floor are all transfers. We are able to recruit transfers of much higher ability on average than players out of high school. It is the new reality in much of college athletics at our level. I never thought we could gain the transfer talent we have brought in, but it has worked so far for us. We now need to reevaluate our entire program to meet this new reality with easy transfer, NIL, etc. Need simpler O and D so new players can fit in easily since now we have great players individually, but not so much as a team. This is the new world of mid major college athletics for us in my opinion and we need to take advantage of it the best we can.