Author Topic: YSU- Ohio  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU- Ohio
« on: December 11, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
Ohio 81 YSU 79

Cohill drilled a 3 Points shot with 1.9 seconds left to tie the game. Ohio inbounded the ball to their guy under the basket who put it in as the time ran out for the win. YSU trailed as much as 16 points in the second half before taking the lead.
Couldn’t hold it at the end, too bad

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU- Ohio
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 05:05:52 PM »
Usually you don't lose a game when the other team inbounds the ball fom half court with 1 second.   

OU brought a physcality that YSU had a tough time adjusting but hats off to the bobcats they were clicking.

Needed a better game from Nelson.    Brandon Rush should be starting.....     He brought some juice today.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 05:51:24 PM »
Usually you don't lose a game when the other team inbounds the ball fom half court with 1 second.   

OU brought a physcality that YSU had a tough time adjusting but hats off to the bobcats they were clicking.

Needed a better game from Nelson.    Brandon Rush should be starting.....     He brought some juice today.

I am not a basketball coach. But I failed to understand why, with 1 sec to go, why didn’t we double team the low post (by fronting the guy) so the couldn’t get a 2 foot shot off. I rather have them take a 20+ foot jump shot to beat us.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 05:58:04 PM »
Frustrating to say the least. Can't keep losing games late like that, especially at home... Defense has to be better.

Could tell coach was very upset post game. He even called out the lack of updates at Beeghly. Said it's embarrassing that we have the same bleachers from 50 years ago when we played OU here last time. He is 100% right.

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 06:02:31 PM »
Terrible first half and continued into the beginning of the 2nd half.  I thought it was over when YSU was down 16.  YSU was ate up inside so it's not surprising that's how they lost.  Too many 3's in the first half by YSU's bigs; Green, Nelson & Dunn were 0-5 and I don't think they were great looks either.  Credit YSU for fighting back and having a chance to win it.  Seemed like a lid was on the basket in the first half for YSU.  I thought the officiating was pretty poor too.

Coach seemed pretty disgusted in the post game press conference.  Said they haven't had good practices and that's what cost them the game; the first half was reflection of that.

After starting the season off scoring in double figures the first 8 games with 5 of them double digit rebounds, Nelson has scored 5, 8 & 5 with only 1 game at 10 rebounds.   Thought he really struggled today.

Hardly any PT today for Covington, Hunter, Mayes & Dunn. 

YSU is now 7-4 but had 2 games right there for the taking with NKU & now this one. 

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 06:26:38 PM »
Beeghly well past due for renovation. But we know Strollo won’t do a thing.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 06:33:21 PM »
The AD has been on the job for nearly 25 years and without Tressel the last 8 years imagine where we would be?  His failure to field a successful football and mens basketball team is the exact reason there's no money.  No attendance, No money.  The same thg is happening at Stambaugh Stadium too.  He and his wife have cushy jobs with big pensions thanks to his local ties.  No expectations or accountability.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 06:41:43 PM by goodnews »

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 06:47:47 PM »
Mud,your point about the bigs shooting 3s is spot on.   I want those guys inside battling instead of lauching 3s.

Yes,the bleachers need to  go like 25 years ago.   If you look at NKU or CSU arena ours looks like HS gym at least Beeghly can upgrade with permanent seats.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 06:53:27 PM »

I am not a basketball coach. But I failed to understand why, with 1 sec to go, why didn’t we double team the low post (by fronting the guy) so the couldn’t get a 2 foot shot off. I rather have them take a 20+ foot jump shot to beat us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmOPFOLknSc

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 07:51:40 PM »
You usually win if you win the rebounding battle and I think they out rebounded by 10.  I feel sometimes this team forgets that Defense and Rebounding are keys to getting a W. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
You usually win if you win the rebounding battle and I think they out rebounded by 10.  I feel sometimes this team forgets that Defense and Rebounding are keys to getting a W.

Calhoun is a vast improvement over Slocum. But he either does not know how to teach defense, or more likely, he is incapable of convincing his team to play defense. Until we exert maximum energy on the defensive side of the ball we will not contend in the Horizon League. It does not matter how many of our players excel at NBA style offensive moves.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 10:10:44 PM »
Calhouns comments and behavior was like no other post game presser.  Clearly, he is frustrated but didn't go into detail.  One has to wonder what he was told when taking the job and signing an extension.  He sounded like someone not content.  And captain obvious "Dana" seemed to strike a cord with his question about Beeghly.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 11:51:34 PM »
Given financial realities, any improvements in Beeghly must come from private donations. To their credit, the big money people in the community raised over 100 million in the latest funding campaign.  All of that is going to academic oriented things, as it should. It has been difficult but possible to squeeze more donations for the media center and additional loges at the stadium. When was the last time that a rich person gave a substantial donation targeted for basketball?  Monus? Blame Strollo if you want, and I am certainly not his fan, but we lack a patron who places much value on basketball.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2022, 06:20:34 AM »
There was set to be a renovation to create a new baseline loge area and re do all the seating in the arena but that got put on hold for one reason or another...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2022, 07:02:25 AM »
Say what you want about Slocum vs Calhoun. All I have to say is ... same results. In so many ways Calhoun is not as good as Slocum. OU is a middle-to-bottom MAC team. This one should not have been this close, let alone an "L".. Listening to the post-game it is clear that Calhoun will take the first larger college assistants job out of here.