Author Topic: New FBS Conference forming. But Hey! We play in the SEC of FCS!  (Read 5633 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: New FBS Conference forming. But Hey! We play in the SEC of FCS!
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2022, 07:14:16 PM »
Related to this thread. What exactly are the benefits of moving up to FBS for us? The only thing I can think of is better regional rivalries. It would be fun to play like 4 other Ohio teams per year, outside of that I don’t see the appeal

I can only speak for myself. I am a lot more excited when I watch us playing Ohio State, Michigan State, Pittsburgh than us playing Dayton, Robert Morris, Duquesne…

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2022, 07:57:41 AM »
Related to this thread. What exactly are the benefits of moving up to FBS for us? The only thing I can think of is better regional rivalries. It would be fun to play like 4 other Ohio teams per year, outside of that I don’t see the appeal

I can only speak for myself. I am a lot more excited when I watch us playing Ohio State, Michigan State, Pittsburgh than us playing Dayton, Robert Morris, Duquesne…

I have no problem playing Bobby, the Dukes or St Francis, better then when we used to play local D2 teams. They bring local interest and are FCS schools. Also have no problem playing P5 schools at least 1 a year.

My main interest is to be playing in a league with schools I am interested in. FBS or FCS not the main concern, just schools we can relate to.

mac schools in OH and MI are the logical choices, but the mac just does not want us.

About a move to FBS and why it never happened, I used to buy into the line that we just could not afford it, no longer. Too many schools have done it and done well. You cannot tell me that those schools do not have many of the same issues that YSU and the Ytown area have, population decline, job loses etc. More and more thinking that YSU just does not have the desire or leadership. I really hate thinking this and hope that I am wrong!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2022, 07:24:27 AM »
We are at a point where if we stay put we are losing TV money out the butt.   FBS gives more money to tv games than FCS anyways and we have a chance for a bowl,  just saying..  Plus when we play a big ten or Big 12 team instead of getting the measly amount we can receive more money as a paid out to playing them at their place.
That is the reason so many teams are considering moving up to FBS.  It's a MONEY THING.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 09:24:31 AM »
That is over 25 years ago and TV wasn't that big then.   Just saying we have to stop living in the past and get with the present and its all about TV revenue.  Not in 1995.  Just saying!!!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 09:32:59 AM »
Thank you Pete for sharing the link - brings back memories (and anger).  Just think what could have been had we been invited.  I will say this though, back then our athletic facilities were not good, other then Stambaugh. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 12:21:43 PM »
Lest we forget:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fjo_Rw2WAAAl0JH?format=jpg&name=medium

Go Guins!
Thank you for sharing the link.
Many subsequent analysis on why YSU was not invited to join MAC suggested that it had more to do with our inability to meet the budgetary requirements than the other member school (UA & KSU) blocking us.
We didn’t do our homework and we were hoping that was good enough. It wasn’t. Other schools (Buffalo) simply made a better business case and commitment.

As it turns out, we might not be able to sustain the financial pressure and dropped back down to FCS.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2022, 03:41:44 PM »
Watching bowl teams UTSA VS TROY and neither one of them have the facilities at time of going to FCS.  This can be said for UMASS ETC.   UMASS IS A JOKE OF FCS.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2022, 03:42:34 PM »
Nor did they win crap when they were in fcs.  No championships.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2022, 03:53:11 PM »
Florida international,  Florida Atlantic, coastal Carolina, UMass never won anything in the FCS PRIOR to moving to FBS.
Just food for thought.  We have 0 interest in FBS. SHAME ON STROLLO AND HIS DONORS.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2022, 04:21:13 PM »
What’s the appeal of being where we are at?  Explain that? 2 playoff appearances in 20 years  is that appealing to anybody playing in a league where in reality they could careless about us
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2022, 09:48:06 AM »
At this point i would rather have a bowl game in a warm climate than making the FCS playoffs.   
Anyone agree.  Better money too

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2022, 11:38:32 AM »
At this point i would rather have a bowl game in a warm climate than making the FCS playoffs.   

You do realize that these junk bowls require a school to agree to purchase x number of tickets before they issue their "invitation."  Northern G5 schools in which fans only buy a few hundred tickets to a meaningless game lose considerable amounts of money on these bowls. No matter; they are FBS!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2022, 12:37:44 PM »

You do realize that these junk bowls require a school to agree to purchase x number of tickets before they issue their "invitation."  Northern G5 schools in which fans only buy a few hundred tickets to a meaningless game lose considerable amounts of money on these bowls. No matter; they are FBS!

IMO, YSU just simply does not have the support from this financially conservative Board of trustees to recommend the university to go into FBS. Unless some big time $$$ donations, it is a non starter, not to mention that we have a strong faculty union who is absolutely against any additional expenditure in sport.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »
There is nothing wrong with dreaming, until your dreams are shattered by the intrusion of reality. Here is the yearly athletic spending for the state universities with the exception of the professional operation in Columbus.  Latest data I could find was from the 2017-2018 academic year.  Numbers are in millions of dollars.

11.9 Wright State
13.7 Cleveland State
15.9 Youngstown State
24.4 Bowling Green
30.0 Kent State
33.8 Toledo
34.9 Akron
35.9 Ohio
37.1 Miami
64.8 Cincinnati

« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 03:13:01 PM by Wick250 »