Author Topic: other crowds  (Read 2240 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
other crowds
« on: December 10, 2022, 12:34:53 PM »
Watching a bit of the SDSU Holy Cross game may be less folks there then at our last game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: other crowds
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 08:53:50 PM »
SDSU drew only 6,549 fans, NDSU only 11,825, Montana st 14,367, Sac st. only 13,722  all no where near full capacity.   Can't blame the weather at NDSU as it is played in a dome.   Time of the year i guess where priorities are not football but shopping for christmas

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2022, 10:39:55 PM »
ESPN+ is killing attendance for non-big time college sports events, just as over-the-air television cut Major League baseball attendance in half during the 1950s. For a modest yearly fee, casual fans sit in the comfort of their living rooms and watch a seemingly endless variety of games in HD on their smart tvs. Unfortunately, the days of 5,000 in Beeghly and 15,000 in Stambaugh are over.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2022, 11:10:29 PM »
Let's hope Beeghly is somewhat packed tomorrow afternoon for the game against Ohio U.   But with football and holidays I don't see much more than 2k in stands.  Game is at 2pm.   I'll be there.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 09:34:33 AM »
FCS playoffs tend to not draw big attendance at most schools.  I think I read somewhere that if you make a deep run into the playoffs you can lose money.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 10:35:51 AM »
As YSUPride pointed out, big game today for Mens Basketball! Lets get what we can into Beeghly!

As far as SDSU yes it is competing against the holidays but I think it is also competing against the weather. It was 30 degrees at kickoff yesterday... it is currently 13 degrees there right now. Without a dome, I think this late in the year with that weather the casual fan is going to say I want to watch it from home on TV with ESPN+ or in this case, the game was on full blown ESPN. You all already mentioned the holidays but that plays a part too!

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 02:04:25 PM »
ESPN+ is killing attendance for non-big time college sports events, just as over-the-air television cut Major League baseball attendance in half during the 1950s. For a modest yearly fee, casual fans sit in the comfort of their living rooms and watch a seemingly endless variety of games in HD on their smart tvs. Unfortunately, the days of 5,000 in Beeghly and 15,000 in Stambaugh are over.

Don’t forget generally population decline in the Mahoning valley as well

Offline hof222

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2022, 11:29:00 AM »
i've been able to watch every play off game in fcs d2 and d3  either live or on replay. what i have seen is very disappointing crowds in all divisions especially d2. poor tackling at every level poor officiating and less use of replay on close calls bad play calls by coaches.watched some great games though.the mount union qb was 22 out of 25 at one point and finished 43 of 56. sacramento state ran 109 plays  738 total yards  and lost 66- 63.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2022, 12:05:15 PM »
Unfortunately, modern technology has allowed us to watch literally 99% of these games from the comfort of our own living room at a decent cost. I mean can you blame people for rather watching on a 60 inch HD clear picture TV than attending in person? I do understand in-person hits a little different and doesn’t quite compare. But logically speaking, it’s much more efficient to still plan things during your day and you can watch multiple games at once or even on your phone!
Top that with having to deal with crowds, drunk idiots, driving to and from game, exploding gas and food prices (thanks Pedo Joe), assuming you are tailgating with food. Even so the food and drink in game are asinine. You save the time money and hassle and can still enjoy the game.

Just the reality of it anymore.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2022, 10:46:55 AM »

I believe that you are correct. A solid winner will bring in more folks but don't look for sale outs in either sport. Have to make going to games as easy and enjoyable as possible.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2022, 07:26:08 AM »
i agree with Cimo7.   He hit the nail on the head with the younger crowd