Author Topic: Dan Rivers local media radio questions why we are in MVFC? His Facebook post.  (Read 7593 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
So basically the excuse is where and how? I have posted a previous thread on schools that are trying to find a where and how?  One of the AD’s said yes it’s a bold plan to move up.  But you need to think bold to get it done.
I have said maybe we need to create our own conference. Yes it would take time. But wtf.  We wasted 25years in a league that is  not a great fit geographically and for recruiting.  Wolford said this time after time.  Instead of playing 2 bs teams a year play an extra money game.  Or let’s be a bigger fish in a different conference. Instead of being the Vanderbilt or Missouri of our conference.  We will never get past North Dakota 0r the other Dakota.  At least not consistently.  You guys all keep making fun of The MAC but I don’t see them wanting to drop down to play in the SEC of FCS they know it’s a losing proposition exposure and money wise.

Been thinking about your last comment recently, look at all the former top FCS teams that have studied it and decided that it was best to move up to FBS. Over that same time frame how many FBS schools decided that they would be better off moving "down" to FCS?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 03:37:00 PM by YSUGO »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
So basically the excuse is where and how? I have posted a previous thread on schools that are trying to find a where and how?  One of the AD’s said yes it’s a bold plan to move up.  But you need to think bold to get it done.
I have said maybe we need to create our own conference. Yes it would take time. But wtf.  We wasted 25years in a league that is a great fit geographically and for recruiting.  Wolford said this time after time.  Instead of playing 2 bs teams a year play an extra money game.  Or let’s be a bigger fish in a different conference. Instead of being the Vanderbilt or Missouri of our conference.  We will never get past North Dakota 0r the other Dakota.  At least not consistently.  You guys all keep making fun of The MAC but I don’t see them wanting to drop down to play in the SEC of FCS they know it’s a losing proposition exposure and money wise.

yes but they get 2.3 mil to play OSU once every 5-years, we get $500 to $600k. and just about any other program will not match that. WVU sure did not. we have only made more that $200k twice against Pitt. Time to be practical. Move up or don't. I say No Way. OSU has to pay more, nobody wants to play them. Or GA, or Alabama, etc. 

We focus on unattainable goals and ignore winning the conference ... which is BY FAR the most obtainable goal we can aspire toward.Think about this. If we had to truly pay a coach the caliber of Pelini, we would be bankrupt. Tressel has been a thing of the past (athletically) for many years now.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
Move to the MAC. Save tremendously on travel year in and year out. Actually compete for a conference championship. Generate excitement by establishing rivalries w/ Akron, KSU, etc.
 Play two power 5 programs a year for additional money.

Hell, I'd come see YSU play Akron and Kent each year rather than Southern Illinois and Indiana St for crying out loud. I'd imagine others would as well. The FCS is a poor product. Get on board like everyone else and get to the FBS. Bull**** we cant do it. Don't tell me YSU cant join the MAC but UMASS can move up and now you have teams like Austin Peay, Dixie St (UT Tech),  and Tarleton St going FBS. Give me a break

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Move to the MAC. Save tremendously on travel year in and year out. Actually compete for a conference championship. Generate excitement by establishing rivalries w/ Akron, KSU, etc.
 Play two power 5 programs a year for additional money.

Hell, I'd come see YSU play Akron and Kent each year rather than Southern Illinois and Indiana St for crying out loud. I'd imagine others would as well. The FCS is a poor product. Get on board like everyone else and get to the FBS. Bull**** we cant do it. Don't tell me YSU cant join the MAC but UMa$$ can move up and now you have teams like Austin Peay, Dixie St (UT Tech),  and Tarleton St going FBS. Give me a break

I posted the financial figures on another thread. We would have to increase our athletic budget by 8.5 million to tie BG, the Ohio MAC school with the lowest budget.  To reach financial parity with schools like Akron, Ohio, and Toledo, we would have to DOUBLE our athletic budget. How exactly is that supposed to happen?  How is receiving 2 million more from big time football guarantees equal 8.5 or 15 million dollars?  Furthermore, do you know how many fans Ohio MAC schools draw? Nobody in this state cares about the MAC.  They just sit in front of their tvs and watch the professional team in Columbus.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
The valley was home too. 2 of the richest people in the world.  Denise DeBartolo York @ 3.5 billion and her brother at 2.3 Billion.  There are your benefactors.  Rename the stadium whatever get it done
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Akron "fans" don't go see Akron play, why would we want to see Akron play? Youngstown drew crowds as high as 10000  at Rayen stadium playing teams like St Norbert, Susquehanna and Southern Connecticut. What is this obsession with the so called big time? Schools like Akron are a joke in FBS. And the funniest part is the high price they pay each year to be someone's patsy.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Funny how Marshall, APPY STATE Boise St.  Aren’t anybodys patsy.   That’s why I loved Wolfy.  He felt and wanted that challenge and he knew we really weren’t a great fit in the Missouri Valley from rivals to recruiting.  Being in this conference and watching us play teams other than Dakotas and northern Iowa is like watching paint dry.  There is no fan recognition and any recognizable players or coach’s. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Akron "fans" don't go see Akron play, why would we want to see Akron play? Youngstown drew crowds as high as 10000  at Rayen stadium playing teams like St Norbert, Susquehanna and Southern Connecticut. What is this obsession with the so called big time? Schools like Akron are a joke in FBS. And the funniest part is the high price they pay each year to be someone's patsy.

Yes, good old Rayen Stadium, actually had my car broken into during a 1 o'clock game there. I for one would love to go to a home game against the zits. Used to go to the games at the Rubber bowl back in the day and there were no zits fans at the games back then either.

I am not obsessed with going FBS, my interest is to be playing in a league with regional schools that interest me. If that means going to FBS then so be it. If we can do it staying in FCS then so be it.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Funny how Marshall, APPY STATE Boise St.  Aren’t anybodys patsy.   That’s why I loved Wolfy.  He felt and wanted that challenge and he knew we really weren’t a great fit in the Missouri Valley from rivals to recruiting.  Being in this conference and watching us play teams other than Dakotas and northern Iowa is like watching paint dry.  There is no fan recognition and any recognizable players or coach’s.

Hard to get pumped up for Missouri St.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Akron games were fun, also Kent and Cincinnati. But hardly worth athletic budget increase to 25 or 35k. I watched Toledo and Liberty in the fix your roof Boca bowl. It was pathetic, zero fan interest, the stands were empty. Perhaps you and I would love to see YSU play Akron regularly but we can't assume others would, especially Akron "fans".

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
This thing does go in circles. I would love to see YSU in the MAC for natural rivalries and such----but I do think it makes sense for the program to see how BCS football really sorts itself out in the next few years. I would love to see division I football split into three divisions-----the semi-pro football division, a lower tier BCS (which YSU could aspire to), and then the FCS. As I stated earlier in this thread, it is downright ridiculous to pretend conferences like the MAC are competing in the same sport as Alabama, OSU, etc. These schools are just throwing away money on substandard products that no one is watching anyway.

I was talking to a buddy and we were saying you can do some soccer like relegation thing between the divisions too.

Anyway, it seems silly to me to invest more money in this program for a move to FCS when it feels like there is a bigger shake up coming to the sport. The UCLA/USC thing to the Big Ten is just so weird that it really calls for some serious global thinking about where college sports are going

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Correction 25 or 35k x 1000.