Author Topic: Dan Rivers local media radio questions why we are in MVFC? His Facebook post.  (Read 7592 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Dan Rivers post local radio personality I’m sharing it

I wrote the following last night. The underwhelming response to my suggestion makes me wonder if YSU football is even relevant to the Youngstown Metro,

"Wearing the badge of courage that YSU belong to the SEC of the FCS is getting old. Jeff Sagarin has been serving bettors for 30 years and his rankings appear in the USA Today weekly.

Sagarin does not fully disclose how he arrives at his ranking of 261 Division 1 teams, a list YSU finished number 138. Sagarin does disclose that strength of schedule plays a large part in his rankings. I put stock in his findings because gamblers are the best barometer of wins and losses, and the gamblers love his sheet.

Back to number 138 for YSU in the Sagarin rankings. The following teams have made the FCS playoffs this year and finished below YSU in Sagarin. The teams are Delaware, Samford, Southeast Missouri State, Elon, Gardener Webb, New Hampshire, Fordham, St Francis, North Carolina Central, Eastern Kentucky, and Davidson which comes in number 238 a full 100 teams below YSU."

My original post asked the question, is it time to look for a new league in the East and stop playing in the Dakotas.

Dan Rivers
570 WKBN
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

NewsRadio 570 WKBN - Youngstown's News, Weather & Talk Station

Dan Rivers
Dan Rivers
Bio
Home

Dan Rivers
Why are the Penguins sitting at home?
Dec 1, 2022

Wearing the badge of courage that YSU belong to the SEC of the FCS is getting old. Jeff Sagarin has been serving bettors for 30 years and his rankings appear in the USA Today weekly.

Sagarin does not fully disclose how he arrives at his ranking of 261 Division 1 teams, a list YSU finished number 138. Sagarin does disclose that strength of schedule plays a large part in his rankings. I put stock in his findings because gamblers are the best barometer of wins and losses, and the gamblers love his sheet.

Back to number 138 for YSU in the Sagarin rankings. The following teams have made the FCS playoffs this year and finished below YSU in Sagarin. The teams are Delaware, Samford, Southeast Missouri State, Elon, Gardener Webb, New Hampshire, Fordham, St Francis, North Carolina Central, Eastern Kentucky, and Davidson which comes in number 238 a full 100 teams below YSU.

Look at the map, are we really a mid-western state? I think we lean East and Youngstown, Ohio is almost in Pennsylvania. I also think it's time to let North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Illinois and Missouri cut up the booty. I bet their fans feel the same about Ohio. 

We play in a league where only one game is drivable and that's nearly 7 hours to Tere Haute Indiana. How has the Gateway/MVC treated us since Jim Tressel went to Ohio State? I can remember two playoff appearances during Heacock, Wolford and Pelini. One was really ugly at Appy State. Yes, it would still be a long drive to Villanova Richmond or Towson, but you could make a mini vacation out of it. Lots a history in those states.

The only people going to North Dakota are on the team plane. We arguably have top 25 facilities, including an indoor football field and we are relegated to watching Delaware on TV in the second round, a team ranked below YSU in Sagarin.

The deck is stacked against YSU. Crazy travel to a league that will forever be dominated by North Dakota State and now South Dakota State. Indiana should pull out too.

Each year I attend games with great anticipation. The first game we have 15,000, by the last game you can count the fans in the stands. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring, Canfield Fair repeat. I am one Penguin Fan who realizes it won't likely get better. The Dakotas basically capture all the talent that didn't get a offer by Minnesota, Purdue, Northwestern, Nebraska Iowa, Iowa State, and other border states. Now that is bunch of linemen.

The MVC basically has games near them compared to YSU. We move an entire team into another time zone and usually are down two touchdowns before we realize what time it is. It's getting worse each year. The fans who remember the Tressel days are getting fewer, and they are not being replaced. It can be embarra$$ing to see a facility like Stambaugh Stadium mostly empty. 

While I am piling on, why is Doug Philips and the top rusher in college football in Jaleel Mcglauflin sitting at home and Davidson, St. Francis, Fordham, Eastern Kentucky, Elon, Samford, and Holy Cross are playing in the tournament. I tell you the deck is stacked and back to Sagarin, yes, his rankings have it right, Georgia, and Michigan. By the way we have a drivable game next year, out second game of the season is at Ohio State.

Dan Rivers

YSU 81

Sponsored Content

‘What didn’t you do to bury me?’ asks Meghan Markle on her ‘Archetypes’ season finale
‘What didn’t you do to bury me?’ asks Meghan Markle on her ‘Archetypes’ season finale
The Grio
Doctors Says Slimming Down After 50 Comes Down To This
Doctors Says Slimming Down After 50 Comes Down To This
Keto Health Lifestyle
Seniors Are Due A $900 Grocery Allowance This Saturday (Check If You Qualify)
Seniors Are Due A $900 Grocery Allowance This Saturday (Check If You Qualify)
Web Rates
Most U.S. iPhone Users Didn’t Know How To Instantly Remove Ads
Most U.S. iPhone Users Didn’t Know How To Instantly Remove Ads
Removing ads is the first step to speeding up your browsing, protecting your privacy and saving on data costs. Now, it’s easier than ever!
iPhone Security Savers
Florida Gov Will Cover The Cost To Install Solar If You Own A Home In These Zip Codes
Florida Gov Will Cover The Cost To Install Solar If You Own A Home In These Zip Codes
everyday-finance.com

1390 The Gambler
93.3 The Wolf
MIX 98.9
106.1 The Bull
Contact
Advertise on NewsRadio 570 WKBN
Download The Free iHeartRadio App
Find a Podcast
Youngstown's News, Weather & Talk Station
Sitemap
Contest Rules
Privacy Policy
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Terms of Use
AdChoicesAdChoices Logo
WKBN Public Inspection File
WKBN Political File
EEO Public File
Public File a$$istance
FCC Applications
© 2022 iHeartMedia, Inc.

Listen to NewsRadio 570 WKBN Live!
Enjoy this station as you read this article.

NewsRadio 570 WKBN - Youngstown's News, Weather & Talk Station
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 12:00:30 PM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Sorry struggled with the copy and paste
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
I really can’t find where he is wrong. Just read the names of the teams playing in the playoffs: Elon, Davidson, Gardner Webb, SFU

Teams that YSU would probably beat by 20+.

The MVFC is not doing is any favors. 7-4 in the best conference and we are still left out. No benefit to staying.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
No I agree with him  100%.  But what little media ytown has says little about anything
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
This argument is a bit circular in some points. Some of these teams that made the playoffs instead of YSU are automatic bids from weaker conferences. YSU has a higher ranking in the Sagarin thing because of SoS. If YSU was in a weaker conference, the SoS wouldn't be as high and, therefore, the ranking wouldn't be as high either. Now, was this year's team better than some of the automatic qualifiers? Sure. But, this would have been a back of the bracket team regardless.

As for leaving MVFC----the travel complaints are probably the most compelling argument to me. I am just not sure what the alternative conference would be. I keep expecting some reordering of D-I football and somehow we see us in the same division level as MAC schools or something, but with the expanded playoff coming, maybe that isn't realistic anymore. It just seems silly to pretend these some of these conferences are competing at the same level as the SEC and Big Ten.

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU should of been in the playoffs like und was.  you were just as good as them.
AQ's for dog$hit conferences should stop that would help.

YSU program when thriving is a great asset to the MVFC

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU is kind of in a geographical no man’s land for this level of college football. No regional rivalry. When my brother played in the late 90s we got excited for W Kentucky and Northern Iowa. But very few causal fans around town cared. A local YSU grad is highly unlikely to live or work with anyone from a MVFC school. That in my opinion is what feeds rivalries and interest. There are still plenty of locals that don’t even know YSU is division 1. And even less that are interested that Missouri State is coming to town. As a Nova guy we have Delaware and Towson as regional rivals. But even that interest is tepid. YSU in the CAA would be nice, but would the casual Youngstown fan care that Stony Brook was coming to town? And vice versa. YSU is now 25 years removed from national power status. The kids playing now weren’t even born when YSU had the glory days. Nova has some recognition because of basketball, not really for football. I really think that as the years go by the lower levels of college football are sadly becoming an afterthought with so much emphasis on the power teams and now NIL.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 11:56:57 AM by nova75 »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile

I keep expecting some reordering of D-I football and somehow we see us in the same division level as MAC schools or something, but with the expanded playoff coming, maybe that isn't realistic anymore. It just seems silly to pretend these some of these conferences are competing at the same level as the SEC and Big Ten.

I agree, I am shocked and surprised that FBS would consider giving an auto bid to leagues like the mac. Also giving up hope that we will ever be in a league with the regional teams that we should be playing.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
AQ's for dog$hit conferences should stop that would help.

That would be a step in the right direction.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
I don’t think the NCAA cares at all about the lower levels of college sports. No money to be made.

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
I don’t think the NCAA cares at all about the lower levels of college sports. No money to be made.

They care. The VAST majority of their membership is not division 1 FBS institutions. A plurality of them are d3 actually

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Honestly!  We should be playing Akron, Ohio Toledo,, Bowling Green, and Miami or some combination of one or two of those two teams, our money game, and them SFU, or Dayton, or another !-AA team.  Someone once said maybe an all-Ohio conference should be comprised of teams out of the MAC who cannot compete financially!  I dont know the answer!  But who knows what the future holds for us, or the MAC as other teams continue to move with pretention they can compete the Sun Belt, BiG, Conference USA, SEC, Or Big 12.  Maybe the anser is the AAC for a lot of these teams with CINCI, USF, and others moving on! 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
RS was on the Rivers show this morning for a few minutes. RS made the comment that he was happy to be in the MFC and Horizon.

He pointed out that between OH, MI WV and IN there are only 3 FCS schools. Us ISU blue and Dayton and Dayton is limited schollys.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
RS is unbelievable with that comment. Absolutely absurd.