Author Topic: Men's Hoops vs GC  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
Men's Hoops vs GC
« on: November 15, 2022, 01:33:42 PM »
11a tip today. Beeghly looked crowded but realized it was kids day LOL. Either way, cool atmosphere.
96-68 Guins. Anyone watch or have any analysis?

Also saw Canisius took down the Bonnies (St. Bonaventure) who have been one of the top A-10 teams lately even tho they were picked to finish 10th this year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Hoops vs GC
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 02:47:12 PM »
11a tip today. Beeghly looked crowded but realized it was kids day LOL. Either way, cool atmosphere.

Also saw Canisius took down the Bonnies (St. Bonaventure) who have been one of the top A-10 teams lately even tho they were picked to finish 10th this year.

I watched the game early from the west coast. Obviously, we were a much better team. We started substituting in the bench players with 10 minutes to go. We still have some undesirable defensive players that let the other team went for a uncontested layups.
Lovelace is a real deal as a freshman.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 03:07:12 PM »

I watched the game early from the west coast. Obviously, we were a much better team. We started substituting in the bench players with 10 minutes to go. We still have some undesirable defensive players that let the other team went for a uncontested layups.
Lovelace is a real deal as a freshman.

Definitely would have preferred a lower score for the opposition. I figured a lot of minutes were logged for the bench guys.
I agree Lovelace seems to be an athletic freak who will be our next stud.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 03:35:24 PM »
Lovelace, Adrian Nelson are beasts!  Remember, we are only four games in, a lot of basketball left to round this team in a cohesive unit before league play!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »
played down to the opponents level.  Forced a lot of stuff that would not happen against a d1 team.  Too much reaching on D instead of moving their feet.     Good to see some of the back ups play.   Would like to see more of Josh Irwin.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
The kids seemed to have a great time, good to see so many of them there.

Nice to see so many players get to play so the final score did not matter to me.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:05 PM »
I wasn't able to attend but did watch it on ESPN+.  Most times these type of games are hard to take much from.  I expected YSU to handle them more than they did, but at that same time this was 41 hours after putting forth a big effort on the road at Notre Dame.  Give GC credit, they came ready to play and hung with YSU early. 

Some of the pros for YSU was everyone played and scored.  60 bench points was impressive.  John Lovelace 6-6 from the FT line.  Coach continues to speak so highly of him and it's going to be fun to watch him continue to get better.  Adrian Nelson put up 14 points in 16 mins.  I think he's going to be a force all year.  Thought Myles Hunter looked good off the bench hitting 5-6.  Coach did pull him out fast after he missed a 3 early.

Some of the cons; 16 turnovers is way too many especially to a team like this.  YSU only turned them over 3 more times.  Still too many un contested layups.  Defense is still struggling and is giving up 77/game.  I never would have imagined they would have put up 68 on YSU even with YSU playing everyone. 

Seems like Garrett Covington is still a bit rusty and has been getting a lot of fouls called on him. 

Will Dunn has definitely bulked up since last season but hasn't contributed much yet. 

Jacori Owens still looks very hesitant and awkward with the ball.   

I really like Brandon Rush.  He's averaging nearly 13 a game off the bench and just plays really smooth.  Has a nice 3-point stroke too.

Tommy Fryda dressed for his first game.  Guess he's a Boardman graduate. 

Up next is UC San Diego Saturday followed by Navy on Sunday.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2022, 08:00:25 AM »
UC San Diego beat Cal last night.   So not the easiest of opponents