Author Topic: Men's Basketball Home Opener against UTM  (Read 3755 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Men's Basketball Home Opener against UTM
« on: November 09, 2022, 12:24:12 PM »
YSU is an 8 to 9 point favorite.

UTM was 8-22 last year ending the season losing their last 7 and are coming off a 22-point loss to Pitt on Monday night. 

They have 3 seniors and a graduate student, Parker Stewart, who started his career at Pitt then went to UTM followed up by Indiana and now back at UTM.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Men's Basketball Home Opener against UTM
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 03:50:27 PM »
Penguins need to play a complete game as we know they lost intensity the 2nd half againt Canisius.  Need to cut down on the turnovers.   Very excited about this group and probably need to temper my enthusiasm.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 03:56:25 PM »
Penguins need to play a complete game as we know they lost intensity the 2nd half againt Canisius.  Need to cut down on the turnovers.   Very excited about this group and probably need to temper my enthusiasm.

Agree 100%

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2022, 07:59:27 PM »
37 to 29 us.   UTM looks good.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2022, 08:46:08 PM »
These home jerseys look so cheap.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2022, 09:01:01 PM »
Not bad for a team that's still learning to play together.  Need to clean up the transition defense.   Cohill was Cohill tonight and frosh Lovelace is exceeding my expectations.  Brandon Rush looks like a scoring machine off the bench.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2022, 09:05:36 PM »
We won like we should have.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2022, 09:06:17 PM »
Want to say Tenn- Martin was picked to finish 3rd in the OVC.  They have the preseason conference player of the year and a transfer that started for the Hooisers last season.  Quality win.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »
Other than settling for too many 3's in the first half which kept it close until late in the half, and giving up too many easy baskets the second half, I  thought it was a pretty complete game.

Green was outstanding the 2nd half and has played 2 really good games.  Nelson adds a lot of size that we've been lacking in recent years.  Lovelace was really impressive...hard to believe he's a freshman. 

The talent level on this team is something else.  If they can jell and play like a team and not get complacent, this could be a special year.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 07:11:01 AM »
Now we have to set out sights on Notre Dame this Sunday and then a quick turnaround to play an 11am game on Tuesday.   That's less than 2 days form Notre Dame,  hopefully not a let down.   Need a big school crowd for that game

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2022, 11:21:13 AM »
     Let's not permit enthusiasm to supplant rational thinking.  A bit of reason and logic may help manage expectations. 

Canisius is ranked 301 of 363 Division 1 teams by Saragin.  UT Martin is ranked 317 of 363.   Defeating the 317th ranked team at home is not exactly a quality win. 

We may want to give this team an opportunity to earn respect before bestowing it summarily.   

YSU has climbed into the 215th position (the 41st percentile).  We have a ways to go.  Let's see what Sunday brings.     

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2022, 01:43:44 PM »
chezmustache Telling me that a my beautiful wife looks equiavlant to a rottwieler.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2022, 02:25:12 PM »
IMO, YSU ‘s 215 rating is not indicative of how good or bad we are. It’s because we have beaten two teams only ranked 301 and 317.
We will have to wait till after the ND game to gauge how we are. Does anyone remember how we were ranked at the end of last year? I think this team is better than the team of last year.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 08:11:23 AM »
I think MudClods and Mustache are right on. Neither is saying how good/bad we are, just that we need to see how we play against someone real. We do not look like a single unit out there.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 11:29:26 AM »
But we beat both handily.   Canisius wasn't even that close until the end and same with win over UTM.   I think we got a good shot at upsetting ND Sunday.   They lost lost to Radford last nite.