Author Topic: Illinois St vs Youngstown St. Game day thread  (Read 9660 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois St vs Youngstown St. Game day thread
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2022, 08:26:55 PM »
Big win!!   I think we will be ranked or getting votes to be ranked.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2022, 08:37:48 PM »
The last 2 weeks help define a culture and are steps in the right direction.  Us older fans were spoiled during the Tressel era and then we fell back to mediocrity the past 22 years other than the 2 playoff seasons.  Do I expect another Tressel era?  Nope.  But all I ask is we are competitive and have a chance to make the playoffs more than twice in 22 years.  Winning is contagious they say.  But crap so is losing in my book.  These next few weeks will define what we are.  November was always the Tressel eras best month.  If we win out would be an amazing thing for the program the fans and breathe some new life into  football program and spark some interest
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2022, 09:21:18 PM »
The last 2 weeks help define a culture and are steps in the right direction.  Us older fans were spoiled during the Tressel era and then we fell back to mediocrity the past 22 years other than the 2 playoff seasons.  Do I expect another Tressel era?  Nope.  But all I ask is we are competitive and have a chance to make the playoffs more than twice in 22 years.  Winning is contagious they say.  But crap so is losing in my book.  These next few weeks will define what we are.  November was always the Tressel eras best month.  If we win out would be an amazing thing for the program the fans and breathe some new life into  football program and spark some interest
Amen to that!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2022, 10:09:26 PM »
To put this accomplishment into perspective, Ohio State played in the same vicious wind in Chicago and scored only 21 points against lowly Northwestern. That makes our drive into that wind in the closing minute even more impressive.

A special Penguin thank you to the Illinois State player that was called for holding as they attempted to run out the clock.  If not for your generous gift, we would have got the ball back with about 26 seconds left instead of 66.

Since we won I will bring this up.  As several mentioned during the game, that was a pathetic technical broadcast. Illinois State University should be ashamed to hire such an obviously incompetent production crew.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2022, 10:14:48 PM »
Is this a signature win?  Not sure but it was possibly important and it was a 4th quarter championship style drive.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2022, 10:45:05 PM »
Last drive, into the wind mind you, no time-outs, 8 plays 80 yards 56 seconds!

Not saying that we are top 5 yet but you just have to be impressed with the last three games. The 2 games in Illinois both came down to against the odd drives, but we showed composure, did not panic and got the win. Credit to the players but also to the staff, maybe DP is on to something.

Not there yet but heading in the right direction.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2022, 11:24:58 PM »
Still not sold on this coaching but we'll see. Imagine if they would've started the QB who could actually throw from the beginning of the season...

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2022, 11:47:18 PM »
Still not sold on this coaching but we'll see. Imagine if they would've started the QB who could actually throw from the beginning of the season...

Absolutely. 3 losses, 1 obviously to top 10 Kentucky team at the time which I think we could’ve made interesting if Davidson starts.

Same with NDSU and the ND was a game we were up in the second half. So our 3 losses weren’t terrible. Next 2 games will be very telling.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2022, 08:10:14 AM »
One other thing I would like to note is that this YSU team is physical as hell.  The strength coach needs some props.  We just haven't seen this in so many years.  Someone on here said it reminded them of Tressel teams.  I agree with that statement.  We have a long way to go to become contenders, but we are much,much better than last year.  We need 2 more monster recruiting classes.  Need to fix the corners, get another QB and RB and deepen the lines.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2022, 09:17:51 AM »
To put this accomplishment into perspective, Ohio State played in the same vicious wind in Chicago and scored only 21 points against lowly Northwestern. That makes our drive into that wind in the closing minute even more impressive.

A special Penguin thank you to the Illinois State player that was called for holding as they attempted to run out the clock.  If not for your generous gift, we would have got the ball back with about 26 seconds left instead of 66.

Since we won I will bring this up.  As several mentioned during the game, that was a pathetic technical broadcast. Illinois State University should be ashamed to hire such an obviously incompetent production crew.

Actually you brought a very good point. Ohio states weaknesses are glaring and they played against a good coach. That was a much bigger factor than the wind. Same thing with Youngstown State as impressed as I was with that final drive you cannot ignore the fact that we went half the second quarter and almost the entire second half Without any kind of drive and almost no first downs. The only third down we converted the entire game was that catch in the Endzone. We have a lot of work to do if we pull off these next two games it will be very difficult for the selection committee to keep us out of the postseason
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 09:21:31 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2022, 09:19:38 AM »
Why the Nazi censorship that can help people?  Whomever deleted those posts suffers from cognitive dissonance.  It's not political, they are facts people are facing and has an impact on the game and the fans.  Whatever loser.

It has no impact on the game whatsoever. Who do you think you’re fooling other that many dumb people? There’s a general BS section down at the bottom of the board put it there absolutely nothing and I mean absolutely nothing but YSU sports goes in this board. Nothing else

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2022, 01:44:37 PM »
There is a thread for sports and a thread for non-sports, everyone should be happy about that.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2022, 01:49:56 PM »
Yep back to sports Go YSU!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2022, 05:09:07 PM »
Unbelievable win again! But luck follows better teams and seems to go against weaker team. We know about both sides of that equation. MD can make some outstanding throws when the protection is good and he sets his feet and at times has trouble with blitzes and strong pressure. But so do most all QBs. Our O line disappointed me on Saturday, but are way better this year than last. Blitz pick up is shaky and number 8 is not big enough to provide a strong extra hand. And when we go empty backfield we are inviting a blitz and strong pressure. Still need more growth there. On D our D line seems good, but we sure fell for the QB option around the ends. Not sure who's responsibility it is, but they missed it often. Our pass rush is ok and coverage is at times also, but we have trouble with tall receivers and our shorter D backs in coverage. We need a few more of number 2 in the D backfield to cover the taller receivers. And our zone coverage is mostly not that great. But we do enough to win and the players don't give up. The coaches are building as can be seen with our results later in the year. Sure wish we had MD as the starter all year to get the experience he needs. But he has done great under a tough situation. Now we need to clean up some of the errors and get two more good showings and wins.