Author Topic: ILS Week  (Read 2543 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
ILS Week
« on: November 01, 2022, 01:43:48 PM »
ILS had played well against both NDSU and especially UNI. In like opponents they have played close games as well.

-They are a heavier pa$$ing team, but the defense seems balanced.
-They really pa$$ in the red zone, which scares me.  Their opponents are average 82% TD in the red-zone. We can score on these guys if we can move the ball down field.
_they average on INT (made) per game.
-They are converting on only 47% of their 3rd-down, but hold opposition to 39% (impressive). They are giving up over75% of their opponents 4th-downs. We should look to keep the ball a bit more this week.
- They have 6 rushers that seen action every game this season (one of those is the QB).
 A weakness of ours.
-Carr is their all-around player on offense, but interestingly, they have 13 different players that have scored at least one TD. This combined with the number of back again scares me. Both White and Wright can catch out of the backfield.
- Vandenburgh has had 8 sacks and 12 TFL's in 7 games. Looks mean.

In conference play, they rank 8th in offense, but 3rd in defense. Guins are 2nd in offense and 5th on defense.
Wenkers is their top rusher at 409 yards, but again the have depth. Of course nobody touches Jaleel.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 03:15:33 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: ILS Week
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 07:11:38 PM »
Well, a tough test here for the penguins, but if they hold strong I think they have a good chance at a win!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 08:17:12 PM »
Well, a tough test here for the penguins, but if they hold strong I think they have a good chance at a win!

Heard that the weather in Normal is going be nothing like it will be in Ytown. 30-40 mph winds and 56°. Favors the run game. Need to establish the run and control the ball. Take the wind in the 4th quarter and hang on!!

Go Guins!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSU98

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 10:13:19 PM »
The Last 3 wins of ours have combined record of 3-21. Not sold quite yet on this coaching staff. This will be a good test to see where we are as a program

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 10:52:52 PM »
Brock Spack is a good coach.  He's taken them to the national championship game and the semifinal.  He's probably got the HC experience as an advantage.  However, his teams never did as well with the zone read as others for whatever reason. We are probably underdogs because we are going to be the away team and it's going to be windy as hell.  This mean the OL will be playing in a phone booth and it will come down to whomever blocks better on the OL.  Without the passing threat our kids just aren't there yet.....but they continue to improve.  Maybe they will show us something and get an unexpected win on the road. 

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 02:33:04 PM »
This is a big week for us. The previous 3 game wins were against the lower teams in our conference. Have we grown to be able to compete with the middle of the league teams? This will be a good measuring stick in my mind. I think the change to MD made the difference in our team in many ways. The O is better because the other teams D can't just focus on number 8. If they do like much of last week MD can hurt them. And I think our younger players are getting better and we are fresh at games end because of all the substitutions. I watched ILS play NDSU and in my opinion they are about like us in overall ability. Their QB can run and pass, but is not particularly outstanding at either. Their D is similar in my opinion. Good but not great. So we will see if we can match up with a mid-level team in our conference on the road. Remember last year’s win in the last game of the year on the road was the first for us on the road in a few years. Can we do that for the second time this year against a mid-level team? It will be interesting to see if we are indeed making progress to getting good again and if this coaching staff is doing a good job contrary to what many say on this board.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 05:26:31 PM »

Heard that the weather in Normal is going be nothing like it will be in Ytown. 30-40 mph winds and 56°. Favors the run game. Need to establish the run and control the ball. Take the wind in the 4th quarter and hang on!!

Go Guins!!

If the passing game would be greatly affected because of the 30-40 miles wind and we have to fall back to the run game, would we be more effective if we go back to having Crenshaw as QB since he is better runner.
I thought I just put it out to see what you guys think.
I still think MD can read the defense better than Crenshaw.
Any opinions?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 07:03:11 PM »

Go Guins!!

If the pa$$ing game would be greatly affected because of the 30-40 miles wind and we have to fall back to the run game, would we be more effective if we go back to having Crenshaw as QB since he is better runner.
I thought I just put it out to see what you guys think.
I still think MD can read the defense better than Crenshaw.
Any opinions?

I agree

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 09:00:23 PM »
I think we are better off with MD even in the wind. Short passes will still be there and that threat makes number 8 much more effective. With Crenshaw in at QB if all he does is run, they will catch on quickly. If he passes poorly all we have is what we had before MD. It did seem like Crenshaw ran the ball with more authority Saturday than he did before MD. I guess the coaches need to make those choices. I hope they are up to it.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2022, 05:37:54 AM »
I think we are better off with MD even in the wind. Short pa$$es will still be there and that threat makes number 8 much more effective. With Crenshaw in at QB if all he does is run, they will catch on quickly. If he pa$$es poorly all we have is what we had before MD. It did seem like Crenshaw ran the ball with more authority Saturday than he did before MD. I guess the coaches need to make those choices. I hope they are up to it.

Yes, I hope the coaches are up to it also. However, in the past, they didn’t make the right decision quick enough. Everyone (almost) on this board knew Crenshaw was not effective, and yet they started him for all those earlier games. If MD would have started the season, he would have more experience under his belt. He might even be able to win one more prior league games.
At this point, he clearly is a better QB for this team.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2022, 10:27:48 AM »
Well it is gameday! So let's go penguins!