Author Topic: Do we make the Playoffs? Schedule is favorable  (Read 4134 times)

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Do we make the Playoffs? Schedule is favorable
« on: October 23, 2022, 02:46:32 PM »
If we go 3-1 we are in I would think. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Do we make the Playoffs? Schedule is favorable
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 03:25:01 PM »
We are a pathetic road team, barely "beating" a terrible Western Illinois squad. I don't see us coming close to winning at Illinois State or Missouri State (unless the MSU transfers have completely quit.)

If we were improving each week, I might hold out some hope.  But we are not. Our defense is bad and gets worse every game.

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 03:53:23 PM »
If we go 3-1 we are in I would think.

Are you serious?  We are a half notch above putrid. If WIU wasn’t worse coached than us, we lose to
a team that couldn’t beat off. Even then, it took another screw up by our special teams in the form of a botched snap and placement, only to be saved by an inept WIU unit that allowed us to get a two point conversion. Playoffs?  This team wouldn’t be the favorites in Div IV, Region 13 of the OHSAA playoffs. Something has to give. Massive changes are needed on the coaching staff. Massive. Huge. Giantlike.
Joe Cool

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »
No pipe dreams please! Not!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 05:06:31 PM »
Guys just was trying to make a point.  But Tressel teams were always about winning in November.  If you don’t win you don’t make it.  I remember in 2016 we looked horrible then Hunter saved our season. Anything is possible. 

We have the best back pound for pound in FCS.  Who knows!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 05:30:00 PM »
Guys just was trying to make a point.  But Tressel teams were always about winning in November.  If you don’t win you don’t make it.  I remember in 2016 we looked horrible then Hunter saved our season. Anything is possible. 

We have the best back pound for pound in FCS.  Who knows!

Yes, but in 2016 we had a very good defense. The lack of an effective quarterback was holding back the entire team. Then the return of a healthy Wells did indeed save the season.  This year no defense=no chance.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 06:21:25 PM »
Our defense is not good especially if we have to defend against a fast/guick running back, a tall receiver and /or a dual threat QB (as in the last two games). We actually did better against Kentucky and NDSU because they had power running backs (not fast or quick). The last two teams also had top rated receivers on each.
Our LBs and DBs also often misread the QB’s RPO and had difficulty in tackling the fast/quick running backs.
That’s my 2 cents worth.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 08:08:45 PM »
I agree with Double ET.   He makes some valid points.  So no playoffs.  We will win maybe 1 or 2 games the rest of the season.   Then its time to evaluate the ENTIRE COACHING STAFF IN MY OPINION

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 08:36:22 PM »
We need another year of recruiting before we can fire anyone. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 08:45:05 PM »
Why another year?  Do you honestly think we are ready to compete with the current roster and staff?  I can't see where the staff is developing players.  2022 is by far the weakest schedule that we've had in years.  Like I mentioned before, take away the portal players and we are BAD!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 07:56:57 AM »
Another year means more miserable play.  Fire him.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2022, 08:07:59 AM »
Why another year?  Do you honestly think we are ready to compete with the current roster and staff?  I can't see where the staff is developing players.  2022 is by far the weakest schedule that we've had in years.  Like I mentioned before, take away the portal players and we are BAD!

They are young.  You can't start Freshman in this league.  A majority of the roster are undercla$$men.  We need another big year of recruiting.  We are never going to dominate teams like the Ohio State Buckeyes do.

Here's what I don't understand.....why isn't anyone giving the guy a real chance?  He lost an entire year to Covid.  He's had one hand tied behind his back due to Pelini recruiting violations that impacted him.  The other hand was tied by the AD when he wanted to turn over the entire roster in year 1 but wasn't permitted.  So in reality his first real recruiting year was this past season and he a$$embled an amazing cla$$.

Yes I agree the play calling and the dB play can be much better when defending the pa$$.  But what are you going to get with what we pay our people?

Youngstown State University average salary is 47 percent lower than USA average and median salary is 82 percent lower than USA median.  Who are you going to get?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 08:12:09 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2022, 08:18:32 AM »

Don't forget about this:

NEWS
Youngstown State hit with NCAA violations from Bo Pelini era
ZACH BARNETTAPR 20, 2021
Youngstown State has been slapped with a "failure to monitor" penalty for the Penguins' football program for a pair of violations that are at once forgivable and confounding.

First, the forgivable one.

A Youngstown State assistant had 41 impermissible contacts with a transfer recruit. The recruit in question played Division II football at the time and informed his Youngstown State contact he was in the Transfer Portal, and thus "legal" for YSU to recruit. The problem: Division II has no Transfer Portal.

"The prospect had previously requested that his athletics department compliance office add him to the Transfer Portal but did not understand that the school was not required to add him because Division II had not adopted the same transfer rules at that time," the NCAA's announcement reads. "The assistant coach was not provided with rules education or access to the Transfer Portal, and he did not check with the school to confirm the prospect’s transfer status."

Youngstown State needed written permission from the unnamed D2 school to recruit the transfer, and as a result each of the contacts that occurred over the course of the player's unofficial and official visits were impermissible.

And now the other.

Former head coach Bo Pelini and two unnamed assistants had 16 impermissible contacts with recruits and conduced impermissible evaluations of two prospects, the NCAA found.

The contacts were impermissible because the three coaches in question did not pass their NCAA-mandated recruiting certification tests for the 2019-20 academic year. "Though the school had sent multiple email reminders to the coaches who had not passed the required certification, the university and enforcement staff agreed that the school failed to monitor the football program because it did not have an adequate system in place to ensure coaches were properly certified prior to engaging in recruiting activities," the release said.

Pelini was not identified by name in the announcement, but the release said Youngstown State discovered the violations "when the now-former football head coach was hired by another school in January 2020."

Pelini is currently out of coaching, bought of a 3-year contract after 11 months as LSU's defensive coordinator.

As a result of the violations, Youngstown State has been hit with the following penalties:

-- A $5,000 fine
-- A 2-year probation
-- A reduction of three official visits for the 2021-22 academic year
-- A 2-week ban on unofficial visits in 2020-21
-- A 2-week ban on all recruiting communication in 2020-21
-- A reduction of three evaluation days in 2021-22
-- The assistant coach who impermissibly recruited the D2 player was suspended from all coaching for three preseason days and served a 2-week recruiting suspension in February of this year

Youngstown State went 1-6 this spring under first-year head coach Doug Phillips.

As always, stay tuned to The Scoop for the latest.

BY ZACH BARNETT

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2022, 08:38:24 AM »
I am in no way defending the coaching performances.  All I'm saying is that we haven't given Phillips a fair chance. 

And when he does find a good coach, he won't be able to retain them for very long due to the pay.  Therefore, I can see many changes to the assist coaching staff......a revolving door so to speak.

Phillips is going to have to try to find a coach that doesn't have name recognition but wants a chance to enter college football as a coach otherwise he will only get the lowest level re-treads that can't make it at any other level.  That's probably a bigger challenge than recruiting players.  But I give him credit on the strength and conditioning coach.  We get stronger as the games go on.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 07:41:09 AM »
He has been given a fair chance just like the rest of the FCS has since the spring of 2021.   So lets no use that as an excuse