Author Topic: WIU week  (Read 2765 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
WIU week
« on: October 19, 2022, 06:57:06 AM »
What do we know about this 0-6 team?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: WIU week
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2022, 10:31:41 AM »
They have a new coach.  That quarterback who torched us in our second half meltdown last year is gone. They now have instability at qb with several contestants trying to earn the position.

Looking only at the statistics from the conference games, WIU has a slightly worse defense than us (444 ypg for them; 425 for us.)  The good thing for us going into this game is the fact that their offense stinks, scoring only 11.3 ppg and gaining only 231 ypg. And they can't stop the run, yielding over 200 ypg.

Now that we have a balanced offense, this game should not be competitive. There can be no excuses for losing this game or the next game at home to a nearly as weak South Dakota team.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2022, 03:08:08 PM »
100% agree Wick! But, anything can happen which is why the games are played. Here's hoping a convincing penguins victory the next two weeks!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 03:08:54 PM by The YO Show »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 07:57:54 AM »
Per the Vindy

YOUNGSTOWN — Even as Youngstown State readies for a winless Western Illinois team that’s been outscored by an average of 39.5-13.17, there’s no shortage of motivation.

But given the recent series history with the Leathernecks, that should come as no surprise.

In Doug Phillips’ debut season as YSU head coach, the Penguins led WIU 24-13 in the third quarter before falling 27-24 in Macomb.

Last year, the Penguins topped that by building a 35-7 lead on the Leathernecks before falling 38-35 at home.

“Trust me, it doesn’t sit well,” Phillips said. “Those are games I can never give back to Youngstown State and the history of Youngstown State. So do I dwell on it? No, but trust me, there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think of those times where we were winning a football game and didn’t finish.”

Then, too, Youngstown State (3-3, 1-2 Missouri Valley) still hasn’t turned in a complete performance itself, leaving the Penguins with plenty of things to focus on as they seek consecutive MVFC victories for the first time since Phillips took over.

“They’re trying to figure things out, and we are (too),” Phillips said. “We have enough ourselves to figure out. We’re going to get ready for the schemes that we’re going to see defensively and offensively, but there’s certain things we have to make sure we make another jump this week in ourselves and make sure we’re ready to execute come Saturday.”

That begins on the defensive side of the ball, where YSU struggled last week against Indiana State, which hung a season-high 42 points on the Penguins.

Phillips says YSU gave up too many explosive plays and struggled to stop the Sycamores’ run game, which are priorities this week.

“Was it fundamentals? Was it lack of focus? Those are the things we went out in (Tuesday’s) practice … and that was the focus. That’s always going to be the focus: stop the run, limit the explosives,” Phillips said.

And, as he pointed out, Western does feature some talent, particularly at receiver. Graduate transfer Naseim Brantley has a league-high 29 receptions for 566 yards and six touchdowns so far.

That’s been the highlight of a Leatherneck offense that hasn’t generated any run game and is still trying to situate itself at quarterback.

Through last weekend, WIU’s 68.2 yards per game rank it fourth-to-last in the FCS in terms of rushing offense. That should play well to YSU’s strength, last week notwithstanding, as the Penguins have defended the run mostly well this year.

Meanwhile, under center, Western has trotted out three quarterbacks at various points this season, though last week only Clay Bruno and Henry Ogala took snaps.

Bruno is more of a dual-threat style, while Phillips noted Ogala has great throwing power.

“I saw a ball in the air for 65 yards (from Ogala),” he said. “And (Bruno) is probably a little more agile, kind of like North Dakota (quarterback Quincy Vaughn) and can make you miss and throw the ball well.”

Bruno went 6-of-16 for 81 yards last week against Southern Illinois, while Ogala was 7-of-19 for 63 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

Nick Davenport also has gotten playing time here and there, though hasn’t seen the field since Week 3 against Southern Utah.

“Regardless of who they’re playing at quarterback, we have to make sure that we’re able to line up, play fast, play fundamentally sound and play the Youngstown type of football we’re starting to grow accustomed to,” Phillips added.

On the other side, Phillips likely wouldn’t mind getting accustomed to the way the YSU offense is performing.

Since Mitch Davidson assumed full-time quarterbacking duties, the Penguins have scored at least 30 points in each of their games. That’s come in large part because of the offense’s ability to spread the ball to various playmakers.

Davidson has thrown for at least 220 yards in both starts, and has completed passes to at least five different players in each.

Tailback Dra Rushton says Davidson is growing more comfortable with each snap.

“It just comes with more experience, more playing time and getting to know the guys more,” Rushton said. “Everyone’s doing their job. We just try to do everything for each other, make everyone comfortable, make everyone feel like they have their place and they can do what they’re going at doing.”

That’s allowed the Penguins to become much more balanced offensively, rather than relying on tailback Jaleel McLaughlin to generate the lion’s share of yardage and scoring. To his credit, McLaughlin is second in the FCS in rushing yardage with 856 yards, and has seven touchdowns.

“I hope that makes it a little more difficult to just zero in on us,” Phillips said of the balance. “Last year, teams could just go zero on us and blitz to stop (McLaughlin). Right now there’s players on that field that I don’t think you could just focus on stopping (McLaughlin). They still have to stop (him), but we have the ability to at least get the ball out to other players.”

The Penguin offense should be licking its chops, as Western enters at 109th in the FCS in rush defense (215.7 yards per game) and 103rd in pass defense (273.8 yards per game).

Defensive back JJ Ross does have two interceptions for WIU, though the Leathernecks have struggled to generate turnovers as a whole.

PREDICTION

The Penguins will turn in a complete performance.

Youngstown State wins, 42-10.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 01:13:00 PM »
I see this as a big game and measuring stick for our year. MD has done well, but needs to get better for us to win out and hopefully get to the playoffs. The defense need a pass rush and better play from the linebackers. If that can happen I think we can win out. If not too bad. I felt that MD was needed all along to get our pass game going. But he lost valuable playing time early in the season. Hope he can catch up along with the rest of the team. Today needs to be a solid win with improvement in our weaknesses. We will see. May be a stretch, but I think it can happen like it did with Hunter Wells a few years ago.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 04:13:32 PM »
The penguin on the helmet looks stupid...

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 05:13:00 PM »
Our biggest problem is we do not have an offensive coordinator!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 06:20:17 PM »
Fire the offensive coordinator now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 07:06:11 PM »
Fire the defensive coordinator too!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 07:15:17 PM »
Fire the offensive coordinator now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

agree

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2022, 07:15:44 PM »
Fire the defensive coordinator too!
agree

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2022, 08:15:35 PM »
The penguin on the helmet looks stupid...

I agree
  I want the Athletics Y back.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »
Our offensive and defensive play calling is sure questionable! On 3rd down both offensively and defensively we lost the battle of play calling for the most part. We are not good enough to win with questionable calls. Too predictable. We were missing number 2 and 23 on defense which hurt. I think they both went out last week with concussions. MD suffered some drops during the game which hurt. I think he should have run on the 1st field goal and had some poor throws, but after all that came back at the end. Hard to evaluate a grade for him today. Hope for major improvement next week on O and D. South Dakota won today against Southern Illinois who were undefeated in the league till today so next week will not be easy. This keeps it interesting.

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2022, 09:33:01 PM »
I’m kind of a fan of the Pete helmets lol 🤷🏻‍♂️ :-X :-X🤐