Author Topic: UND Game thread  (Read 10626 times)

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: UND Game thread
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2022, 08:49:33 PM »
MEDIOCRITY has overcome this program.  We lose and we think we have found our new QB?  Sadly, there isn't a D1 QB on the current roster.  Our remaining schedule includes 3 home and 3 away games.  Sadly, another losing season is in the cards.  All the while James Madison enters the top 25 in FBS.

Patience.  Did you hear what was said in the pregame show.  I was very surprised.  Any takers?

I missed the pregame show. What was said?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2022, 09:01:46 PM »
Let's keep this to the play opf the football team and not the crowd. 

Any takers?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2022, 06:59:42 AM »
They were interviewing former national championship players. They said Tressel called them in to interview Phillips.  The former players of championship teams selected him.  It wasn't what you would think......the AD picking based on the loge backer's etc.  If they interviewed Phillips, it's likely that they interviewed more than Phillips.  They were talking about how they know Phillips from the interviewing process and how they know that the kids love him.  They also discussed how it takes time to build championship level football.  From their perspective everything is heading in the right direction.  If I recall correctly, they discussed Harry DelGianis and several others being one of the people in the interview process.  I was so stunned to hear they used former players from championship teams that I sort of didn't hear some of the other parts because my mind immediately went to asking lots of questions like - interesting approach, why do it that way?- Did Tressel lose trust in Strollo"s ability to choose the coach etc.

So you have to be patient. They are trying to build it with even more challenges such as NIL and transfer portal.  Do you think NIL helps or hurts YSU?  I think Phillips has used the transfer portal correctly.

That small detail in the pregame show tells us a lot.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2022, 07:04:58 AM »
MEDIOCRITY has overcome this program.  We lose and we think we have found our new QB?  Sadly, there isn't a D1 QB on the current roster.  Our remaining schedule includes 3 home and 3 away games.  Sadly, another losing season is in the cards.  All the while James Madison enters the top 25 in FBS.

Patience.  Did you hear what was said in the pregame show.  I was very surprised.  Any takers?

...and who are they playing? The conference they left has far superior oppsition to the competition they now face. Appy State is the only decent team that they have faced and they almost lost. You know that we would expect a win there for any team in the MVFC.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
They were interviewing former national championship players. They said Tressel called them in to interview Phillips.  The former players of championship teams selected him.  It wasn't what you would think......the AD picking based on the loge backer's etc.  If they interviewed Phillips, it's likely that they interviewed more than Phillips.  They were talking about how they know Phillips from the interviewing process and how they know that the kids love him.  They also discussed how it takes time to build championship level football.  From their perspective everything is heading in the right direction.  If I recall correctly, they discussed Harry DelGianis and several others being one of the people in the interview process.  I was so stunned to hear they used former players from championship teams that I sort of didn't hear some of the other parts because my mind immediately went to asking lots of questions like - interesting approach, why do it that way?- Did Tressel lose trust in Strollo"s ability to choose the coach etc.

So you have to be patient. They are trying to build it with even more challenges such as NIL and transfer portal.  Do you think NIL helps or hurts YSU?  I think Phillips has used the transfer portal correctly.

That small detail in the pregame show tells us a lot.

interesting, I can understand why JT would have called some of his former players, but who made the final call?

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2022, 10:09:53 AM »
The former players.  This is how executive interviews are done to a similar degree in large corporations.  You have the committee vote on the hire vs having a single person or small group that call the shots that includes bias.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 10:14:15 AM by penguinpower »

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2022, 10:52:23 AM »

...and who are they playing? The conference they left has far superior oppsition to the competition they now face. Appy State is the only decent team that they have faced and they almost lost. You know that we would expect a win there for any team in the MVFC.

At the beginning of this year, what were your expectations of this team?  They were beaten badly last year by many teams.  What were your expectations of Crenshaw?  We knew that he was a running back that was playing QB and he was a Pelini recruit.  The reality is that we've improved and and we are competing at a higher level.  Did you think we were going to win a NC or the conference this year? 

We need 2 more years of solid recruiting to turn this thing.  Many of the kids playing now are going to be outstanding once they get another year in the weight room and they are backed with solid recruiting behind them. 

Then we have to get a QB.  That's got to be the priority this off-season.  AND now that we have a much better surrounding cast, that critical position will be easier to get because the QB's that are available will know that he's going to be protected and they have a chance win immediately. 

Think logically and don't let your expectations get out in front of you.  We are better and we are getting better.  Maybe there has to be some coaching changes too, but at the end of the day, there's a higher level of competitive excellence overall

When we played Kentucky tough it seems that everyone got out  over their skis a bit. 

They are building a program that doesn't need flash to win.  They are building a program that will line up and run you over.  Just like the best teams in the conference.  We should have won that game in Saturday, but we aren't mature enough as a collective team to overcome mistakes. They will learn from this.  We are also turning heads in the conference because they know we are 1-3 years away from being contenders.  Nobody wants to play us.  Nobody.  They are going home beat up and bruised after playing us.  We are doing the hitting and it's showing up late in games which is a great sign.  Everything is pointing in the right direction.  Ron Potesta was placating the people that were calling into the 5th quarter show when he said the time to win is now.  He's wrong.  We only need to win games we are expected to win and steal a few this year but playoffs mean nothing if you  aren't going to be a contender anyway. 

I feel as if the offense is somewhat of a liability.  I have zero confidence we can move the ball against good teams.  UND has a bad defense but when they sent the house they got in the backfield and our inexperienced QB didn't handle the situation correctly.  An average QB needs more time to make vertical throws.  An excellent QB does not need as much time, and does a good job creating time to make the vertical pa$$ing game a threat.  We have an average QB right now and he doesn't have the time to get the ball down field.  In addition, the accuracy and reads are not consistent.  The OL needs another year and they can make the QB look better.  While MD is playing better than Crenshaw at the moment, he doesn't have the arm to push the ball down field accurately like Hunter Wells could.  So no matter how you slice it, we are playing in a phone booth and everyone is going to crowd the LOS.  This will help make the OL better as the year progresses. Once we have that threat at QB and more improvement on the OL, their jobs will get easier and they will be super experienced in picking up the blitz and dealing will a loaded box, because they are dealing with it now.

Just my $.02
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 11:07:22 AM by penguinpower »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
Maybe Paladin I-AA should be allowed back to the board.  The evidence says he's been correct.  It's long overdue.  AND he's correct on the monster recruiting class that Phillips brought in this year.  He isn't projecting many wins because his assessment is also correct in that Phillips needs to shore up this class with another one or two behind it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2022, 05:24:17 PM »
Maybe Paladin I-AA should be allowed back to the board.  The evidence says he's been correct.  It's long overdue.  AND he's correct on the monster recruiting cla$$ that Phillips brought in this year.  He isn't projecting many wins because his a$$essment is also correct in that Phillips needs to shore up this cla$$ with another one or two behind it.

Take that for what it's worth.

The moderators of this forum should apologize to Paladin and beg for his return. His insights are more accurate and more interesting than any other contributor on this forum as well as the local media.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2022, 05:48:00 PM »
I for one enjoyed reading Paladin's comments!  Most of the time he was spot on!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2022, 05:51:32 PM »
Since I went to the game, I had no idea what was said on the pre-game show. This information puts to rest the absurd notion that Tressel could be intimidated to select a coach at the whim of a donor. As president, Tressel has done much to fortify his legacy at YSU. Should Phillips work out in the long run it will be his last accomplishment.

I am as angry and disappointed as anybody, but a little historical perspective is in order.  Tressel actually inherited more talent from Narduzzi than Phillips did from Pelini. Yet he won two games in that first year, including the vital upset of Akron in the final game.  Then we snuck into the playoffs in his second year behind some unlikely last second wins.  But people forget that the third year was also a disaster.  It was not until 1989, the fourth year, that Tressel started to win consistently. And the competition that Tressel faced in the Ohio Valley (1986-87) and as an independent (1988-89) was way, way inferior to what Phillips confronts in the MVFC.

I hate the word "patience" too.  But there are no quick fixes to building a program "the right way" as penguinpower and others have noted. I suppose Phillips could have done what Petrino did at MSU, bring in 49 transfers and try to win immediately (as a ticket back to the big time for him.)  That worked a bit last season. How is that working for him in 2022?

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2022, 08:12:59 PM »
Since I went to the game, I had no idea what was said on the pre-game show. This information puts to rest the absurd notion that Tressel could be intimidated to select a coach at the whim of a donor. As president, Tressel has done much to fortify his legacy at YSU. Should Phillips work out in the long run it will be his last accomplishment.

I am as angry and disappointed as anybody, but a little historical perspective is in order.  Tressel actually inherited more talent from Narduzzi than Phillips did from Pelini. Yet he won two games in that first year, including the vital upset of Akron in the final game.  Then we snuck into the playoffs in his second year behind some unlikely last second wins.  But people forget that the third year was also a disaster.  It was not until 1989, the fourth year, that Tressel started to win consistently. And the competition that Tressel faced in the Ohio Valley (1986-87) and as an independent (1988-89) was way, way inferior to what Phillips confronts in the MVFC.

I hate the word "patience" too.  But there are no quick fixes to building a program "the right way" as penguinpower and others have noted. I suppose Phillips could have done what Petrino did at MSU, bring in 49 transfers and try to win immediately (as a ticket back to the big time for him.)  That worked a bit last season. How is that working for him in 2022?

Well it’s also a lot easier to bring in 49 transfers when you’re a former FBS and NFL coach who has some name recognition.

It’s sort of like Deion sanders at Jackson state, I’m sure he knows a ton about the Xs and Os but his recruiting advantage is massive as an extremely well know player 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2022, 09:43:44 PM »
The head coach is likeable just not sure he will be able to surround himself with the staff needed to be successful in the league.  JT handled the offense and was loaded with defensive minds for as long as he was here. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2022, 09:46:22 PM »
The head coach is likeable just not sure he will be able to surround himself with the staff needed to be successful in the league.  JT handled the offense and was loaded with defensive minds for as long as he was here.

That's not a coaching problem, that's a funding problem