Author Topic: NDSU Game Thread  (Read 13040 times)

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU Game Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2022, 10:58:30 AM »
We need to give Mitch a try at least a few games under his belt.   Would have been nice if he could have started this game it could have been much different.   Oh well looks like another losing season at 5-6,

So far we’ve only lost to teams we should have lost to, we’ll find out how good this team is in the next stretch of games

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2022, 02:49:29 PM »
Lol. This is what it looks like when a high school principal who only got the job because his buddy donated millions to the university is leading a bunch of D2 and D3 coaches. Embarra$$ing...

Totally agree!

Since when has football become rocket science?  Football is 90% about recruiting a d leadership, 5% strength and conditioning, And 5% on schemes and play calling.  But recruiting and leading a team is the main thing.  Most coaches that are the best at X's and O's can't recruit (Pelini). 

The recruiting is the most important part of the job and a former HS principal should have the skills to relate to the kids he's recruiting. 

We are a project.  So he missed at QB and he's got a problem at OC.  He will learn and get it fixed.  Luke Fickle at Cincinnati buit his program the same way.  But it took him several years.  Winning isn't going to come overnight after what Pelini did to the recruiting and how he left the cupboard bare.

Don't let your expectations get out of line. I think Phillips is the right guy for the job, and I've heard the kids love him.

Well said. Everybody remember that Phillips inherited Crenshaw. His recruits at QB are freshmen and unknown commodities.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »
We need to give Mitch a try at least a few games under his belt.   Would have been nice if he could have started this game it could have been much different.   Oh well looks like another losing season at 5-6,

So far we’ve only lost to teams we should have lost to, we’ll find out how good this team is in the next stretch of games

Agreed.  Everybody in this league will lose to NDSU by at least 13 points, probably more inside their gym. This North Dakota game will tell us a lot.  Good offense, not very much defense, not a good track record of winning on the road.  We shall see.

Offline 33Y0

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2022, 04:13:31 PM »
Before waving the white flag on this team because of a halfway respectable loss to NDSU, let's judge them on their next slate of games...

vs. North Dakota (3-2)
vs. Indiana State (1-3)
@ Western Illinois (0-5)
vs. South Dakota (1-3)
@ Illinois State (2-2)
@ Missouri State (2-3)
vs. Southern Illinois (3-2)

We have a fairly decent stretch where we SHOULD win some ballgames... I see no reason why we can't win maybe 3-4 of those. Now, if they completely lay eggs against the likes of Western Illinois, Indiana State, and South Dakota... then panic and start calling for some BIG changes. But let's see what happens during what should be the easy part of the schedule.

And for the record... not a Crenshaw fan either.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:20:31 PM by 33Y0 »

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
I see MD is pictured on the advertisement for this week.  Does that mean he gets the start?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2022, 07:08:00 PM »
I see MD is pictured on the advertisement for this week.  Does that mean he gets the start?

On his radio show at 5:00, Phillips would not reveal his choice for qb this week.  He did state that Crenshaw had been hampered by a hamstring injury that he sustained in the summer. Which begs the question: if he physically can not run, why is he out there?

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2022, 11:06:06 PM »
Before waving the white flag on this team because of a halfway respectable loss to NDSU, let's judge them on their next slate of games...

vs. North Dakota (3-2)
vs. Indiana State (1-3)
@ Western Illinois (0-5)
vs. South Dakota (1-3)
@ Illinois State (2-2)
@ Missouri State (2-3)
vs. Southern Illinois (3-2)

We have a fairly decent stretch where we SHOULD win some ballgames... I see no reason why we can't win maybe 3-4 of those. Now, if they completely lay eggs against the likes of Western Illinois, Indiana State, and South Dakota... then panic and start calling for some BIG changes. But let's see what happens during what should be the easy part of the schedule.

And for the record... not a Crenshaw fan either.

man. easy 5 win streak there IF you find a way to get #8 in the flats & use screens for him I get him the ball 25-30 times a game deebo samuel style.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2022, 11:24:52 AM »
You know, people are going to not agree ...

But I think we blew the best opportunity to beat NDSU that we could have asked for. They are playing well below par, but we could not capitalize on offense. That last FG does not count, but we should have been able to score 24-points in that game. I mean our secondary is inept and the Bison could not get the ball out there. The Bison defense lined up not more than 6-yards off the LOS, for the entire first half because our QB was incapable of throwing the ball and our OC was not willing to put him under center to establish the run and play-action. We scored 14-point s with a QB that does not even get much (if any) practice all week. We keep the Bison out of the end-zone the entire second half. Two dropped INT's that we threw directly into the Bison defender's hands. I see three more challenging games on our schedule, starting this Saturday. UND, ILS and SIU are superior teams to what we played last Saturday. We will also struggle with SMS and  S. Dakota. 

We need to stop looking at last Saturday's game as the "marker". We played an average football team. The difference is that the Bison coaches will learn and not make these same mistakes again. Our staff will continue to do what it has done for over a season now. Just so frustrating.  This is the point where I was ready to toss Tressel as well. Tressel did well with Duzzer's players & then he gave us just what we are seeing now. They still renewed his contract and we are all glad they did. Maybe the same thing is here with us now and we just have to be patient?

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »

But I think we blew the best opportunity to beat NDSU that we could have asked for. They are playing well below par, but we could not capitalize on offense. That last FG does not count, but we should have been able to score 24-points in that game. I mean our secondary is inept and the Bison could not get the ball out there. The Bison defense lined up not more than 6-yards off the LOS, for the entire first half because our QB was incapable of throwing the ball and our OC was not willing to put him under center to establish the run and play-action. We scored 14-point s with a QB that does not even get much (if any) practice all week. We keep the Bison out of the end-zone the entire second half. Two dropped INT's that we threw directly into the Bison defender's hands. I see three more challenging games on our schedule, starting this Saturday. UND, ILS and SIU are superior teams to what we played last Saturday. We will also struggle with SMS and  S. Dakota. 

We need to stop looking at last Saturday's game as the "marker". We played an average football team. The difference is that the Bison coaches will learn and not make these same mistakes again. Our staff will continue to do what it has done for over a season now. Just so frustrating.  This is the point where I was ready to toss Tressel as well. Tressel did well with Duzzer's players & then he gave us just what we are seeing now. They still renewed his contract and we are all glad they did. Maybe the same thing is here with us now and we just have to be patient?

What? An “Average” FCS team can’t put up 300 yards of rushing against a P5 team… that’s what’s the Bison did the week before they played us…

But yes hopefully this is the downturn before this staff pulls it together, I think this week will be extremely informative

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2022, 02:44:54 PM »

What? An “Average” FCS team can’t put up 300 yards of rushing against a P5 team… that’s what’s the Bison did the week before they played us…

But yes hopefully this is the downturn before this staff pulls it together, I think this week will be extremely informative

Correct.  Bison are a top 3 FCS team no matter how you look at it.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2022, 02:49:35 PM »

Correct.  Bison are a top 3 FCS team no matter how you look at it.

That "average" football team that beat us last Saturday would defeat half of the Big Ten. And the only thing similar about North Dakota and North Dakota State is the fact that green is the major school color for both institutions. Football 101: one team plays defense and the other team does not play much defense.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2022, 07:58:15 AM »
That "average" football team that beat us last Saturday would defeat half of the Big Ten. And the only thing similar about North Dakota and North Dakota State is the fact that green is the major school color for both institutions. Football 101: one team plays defense and the other team does not play much defense.

Then how this team that could supposedly defeat half the big-10 could not defeat a bottom-feeder in the PAC-10 ...a weaker conference? Arizona is a bottom-3 team in the conference and I was honestly surprised when NDSU did not defeat them. The old Mountain teams and Big Sky clubs have defeated PAC-10 squads on multiple occasions ... this should have been one of those. How could a coaching staff that has #8 completely figured out (and shut down) over the past 2 years, suddenly giving up 150 ground yards to him?

I am tired of looking for things to be upbeat about. We lost a "winnable" game.

Lake, I agree about getting the ball out into the flats, but not with #8.  Despite his small size, #8's strength is reading gaps.  Counter screens maybe, with a WR by his side to keep him from being targeted. This is the MVFC. we need to have someone 6.5' tall, 250+ lbs and a wingspan of a basketball player or wrestler out in the flats. It is called a Tight-end. Where are ours? Although I have seen much improvement in this area; a good opposing OC is going to throw the ball to our outside all game.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 08:02:23 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2022, 09:52:31 AM »

Then how this team that could supposedly defeat half the big-10 could not defeat a bottom-feeder in the PAC-10 ...a weaker conference? Arizona is a bottom-3 team in the conference and I was honestly surprised when NDSU did not defeat them. The old Mountain teams and Big Sky clubs have defeated PAC-10 squads on multiple occasions ... this should have been one of those. How could a coaching staff that has #8 completely figured out (and shut down) over the past 2 years, suddenly giving up 150 ground yards to him?

I am tired of looking for things to be upbeat about. We lost a "winnable" game.

Lake, I agree about getting the ball out into the flats, but not with #8.  Despite his small size, #8's strength is reading gaps.  Counter screens maybe, with a WR by his side to keep him from being targeted. This is the MVFC. we need to have someone 6.5' tall, 250+ lbs and a wingspan of a basketball player or wrestler out in the flats. It is called a Tight-end. Where are ours? Although I have seen much improvement in this area; a good opposing OC is going to throw the ball to our outside all game.

The game NDSU lost is still early in the season. 

They have a superior offensive line.  Their line will get better as the year rolls on and they will end up at the top of the conference (I predict)

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »
NDSU dominating Arizona running the ball, but the defense lost  our NFL DT week before & too many missed tackles. combined with our OC brain farting the last 2 possessions that shouldve been a 31-17 NDSU win.

Well Youngstown didn't look too bad to be honest, I've seen many teams come into fargodome and lose that game 52-10. but YSU held serve and was tough running the ball

good luck to you