Author Topic: Kentucky Game!  (Read 13647 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Kentucky Game!
« Reply #75 on: September 17, 2022, 04:35:04 PM »
The lack of a passing threat makes the run game so much tougher
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2022, 09:17:02 PM »
No passing game leads to very few conference wins and no play-offs

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2022, 09:49:00 PM »
Missouri State leading#10  Arkansas by 10 points here early in the 4th quarter

Offline Cimo7

• Royal Penguin
  • GO GUINS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2022, 11:04:31 PM »
SIU best northwestern. Just STFU that it can’t be done. No excuse YSU can’t do it.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2022, 07:29:50 AM »
SIU best northwestern. Just STFU that it can’t be done. No excuse YSU can’t do it.

To be fair, there's a big difference between Northwestern and #9 Kentucky.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2022, 08:06:21 AM »
We should have score 2 TD's in the game.  We have arguably the best RB in the FCS and we pass the ball on the goal line.  The QB never looks off his his receivers, locks on to only one person and telegraphs his passes while having some of the absolute worst footwork without squaring his shoulders.and the receiver (small detail here) doesn't help to ensure the defender doesn't get the ball on the tip.  We have an identity on offense.  It's run the ball in every circumstance you should pass it and pass on every circumstance you should run it.  I really don't know why we were running A&B gap power plays with our small but fast RB.  They should have tried to get him into space and kept it honest with QB runs.  That offensive performance and the special teams with 12 people on the field showed big time coaching issues. 

I still think Phillips is the right guy for now.  However, we are a year away, and the coaching will permit us to have head scratching losses once we begin to compete in the top end of the conference.  They need to fix the coaching issues and there needs to be an intervention with the OC.  He's clearly not capable of running a HS offense let alone a college offense in a competitive conference. Disgusting.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2022, 10:47:46 AM »
Power I agree. I still like Philips for head coach. I say we need a change at offensive coordinator though.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2022, 12:05:21 PM »
Power good insight.  I’m still on the fence as Philips is a good recruiter.  We had a great Recruiter who was one of the best in the country named Wolford. Is Phillips better I don’t feel he is at the level.  I watched a lot of our conference playing the last few weeks and I still feel we are still not talented enough.  Funny how Wolfords issue was defense and not finishing games but we could score points.  Our issue seems to be the opposite now.  But too be successful in this era you need a qb that’s accurate and can make his reads quickly and have mobility.  You need to have a qb that can do at least 2 of those attributes to be successful our last Qb that had that was Wells and he got us to the finals.  Crenshaw only had 1 of those.  He’s an athlete period.  Phillips needs to really go out and sell some kid that has those qualities quickly and get the offense fixed.  If not we will never be more than a 4, 5, 6 win team with what is going on no matter how good the D is
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2022, 12:13:30 PM »
YSUGO i totally agree with your comments

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2022, 12:18:13 PM »
Wolford was an excellent recruiter and he had studs on offense.  Defense was the issue.   we got rid of him and Pelini won with his recruits.   Plain and simple,  Now we got rid of pelini and settled with Phillips.  We are in Deep trouble with him as our coach.  We are not the team we used to be and our facilities are in total need of update.    Anyone agree?

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2022, 01:33:48 PM »
Wolford was an excellent recruiter and he had studs on offense.  Defense was the issue.   we got rid of him and Pelini won with his recruits.   Plain and simple,  Now we got rid of pelini and settled with Phillips.  We are in Deep trouble with him as our coach.  We are not the team we used to be and our facilities are in total need of update.    Anyone agree?

Facilities in total need of update??? I am confused if this is towards a specific thing, because our facilities have gotten way better. The WATTS is a very impressive facility and Softball and soccer fields are nice. I guess I agree with your other points, but this one I'm not sure.

Online goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2022, 01:44:10 PM »
I didn't watch yesterdays game but i'm pretty sure Stoops kept their offense pretty vanilla.   The guys with Youngstown ties seem to keep the game in check.  Not to completely embarrass their Hometown team.  In regards to the offense, the HC nor the OC has recruited any depth or weapons with the exception of the RB who appears to have fallen into their lap.  The QB position is consumed by undersized or incapable athletes that are unable to stretch the field with their arms.  They look serviceable against Dayton and the like but not MVFC worthy.  For instance, we recently had a TE drafted in the NFL but yet ONLY had probably 300 yards receiving in a season.  How does that happen?  One clue, coaching!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2022, 02:13:35 PM »
Power good insight.  I’m still on the fence as Philips is a good recruiter.  We had a great Recruiter who was one of the best in the country named Wolford. Is Phillips better I don’t feel he is at the level.  I watched a lot of our conference playing the last few weeks and I still feel we are still not talented enough.  Funny how Wolfords issue was defense and not finishing games but we could score points.  Our issue seems to be the opposite now.  But too be successful in this era you need a qb that’s accurate and can make his reads quickly and have mobility.  You need to have a qb that can do at least 2 of those attributes to be successful our last Qb that had that was Wells and he got us to the finals.  Crenshaw only had 1 of those.  He’s an athlete period.  Phillips needs to really go out and sell some kid that has those qualities quickly and get the offense fixed.  If not we will never be more than a 4, 5, 6 win team with what is going on no matter how good the D is

We matched up well with that SEC line. We can win with a good QB. We now have depth. But we have now superstars on the LOS

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2022, 04:23:02 PM »

We matched up well with that SEC line. We can win with a good QB. We now have depth. But we have now superstars on the LOS

Meant to write we have no superstars on the LOS

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2022, 04:41:41 PM »
Good thing that you corrected that, Power.  You had me worried about you for a second. 8)

I could not watch the game.  From the comments I am assuming that the coaches again forced Crenshaw to act like a traditional passer which he is not and can never be.  He can be valuable as a running qb who might become proficient with play-action passes.  Expecting him to be anything else is unfair to him and to us. Why the offensive coaches can not see what we all understand is incomprehensible to me.

Before we become too depressed, take some consolation in the old football adage: run the ball and stop the run. NDSU is going to annihilate us.  After that there is no reason that we cannot compete with the remaining seven opponents on our schedule.