Author Topic: Football: Dayton Week  (Read 4358 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Football: Dayton Week
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2022, 06:39:03 PM »
Nice 1st qtr, ok 2nd qtr, poor 3rd qtr, nice 4th qtr. Seems we never come out hot after half time.

A win is a win but I just do feel all warm and fuzzy with I have seen so far.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2022, 11:41:44 PM »
Many of us have our doubts about Crenshaw's passing abilities.  But let's be fair.  Several of those touchdown passes in the first half were outstanding throws.  Who would have thought this morning that Crenshaw would now share the record for td passes in a single game.

Yes, the lack of discipline is frustrating and infuriating. I don't envy the coaches as they try to fix this.  One problem is the junk football culture that the NFL promotes on Sundays which college and high school kids want to copy. Everything demands some type of demonstration and hits after the whistle are sometimes ignored.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2022, 02:21:11 PM »
Many of us have our doubts about Crenshaw's pa$$ing abilities.  But let's be fair.  Several of those touchdown pa$$es in the first half were outstanding throws.  Who would have thought this morning that Crenshaw would now share the record for td pa$$es in a single game.

Yes, the lack of discipline is frustrating and infuriating. I don't envy the coaches as they try to fix this.  One problem is the junk football culture that the NFL promotes on Sundays which college and high school kids want to copy. Everything demands some type of demonstration and hits after the whistle are sometimes ignored.

He had 3 good passes in the game. Not worth fixing. Those catches were as much receiver at QB. Sorry, but not a DI quarterback. By the time he is "Fixed" he will be gone. I am sorry, but skill positions need to be good before they play. There can be some improvements as they face quality competition, but the ability has to be there and visible.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2022, 08:12:20 PM »
Kentucky up next       #12 team in nation i believe.   Maybe we keep it somewhat close.   we shall see.  then week off then beat down at NDSU.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »
I have seen Kentucky ranked #9 in the FBS. Would very much hope we keep it somewhat close. If we only lose by 2-3 TDs and keep it close first half and score TDs I will be happy. Of course, would love an upset... But not realistic

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2022, 05:07:53 AM »
Many of us have our doubts about Crenshaw's pa$$ing abilities.  But let's be fair.  Several of those touchdown pa$$es in the first half were outstanding throws.  Who would have thought this morning that Crenshaw would now share the record for td pa$$es in a single game.

He had 3 good pa$$es in the game. Not worth fixing. Those catches were as much receiver at QB. Sorry, but not a DI quarterback. By the time he is "Fixed" he will be gone. I am sorry, but skill positions need to be good before they play. There can be some improvements as they face quality competition, but the ability has to be there and visible.

He's more of an athlete than a natural QB.  They corrected his footwork last year and his performance improved.  Remember, Demond Tidwell was not a pa$$er either.  Neither was Armanti Edwards for App. State.  All that matters is the results.  It's been proven you can win if the team surrounding you is good.  It's more difficult, to do, but it can be done.  Crenshaw's running threat and mobility will come in useful for a relatively inexperienced OL.  It would be far more difficult having a less mobile pocket pa$$er while trying to upgrade and develop an offensive line.  If I were the coach, that's what I would want to have if I was trying to fix the plane while flying through one of the most challenging war zones known as the MVFC.

No matter how you look at it, Bo left the cupboard bare with kids that are not athletically competitive in our conference.  It's a big project to turn the roster into one that can compete.  Wolford had the recruiting part, but couldn't ever find a competent DC (and I don't think he was competent to coach defense having only been an offensive position coach).  Pelini came in here and made it to the NC with Wolford's recruits and at the same time he stopped recruiting at a high level while the team lost discipline (remember the drug tests after the Jacksonville State playoff game where we lost several key people needed to go up against the gay streamers aka JMU?)

What is DP going to do anyway?  Let's say Crenshaw cannot be coached or helped to be effective enough to win big games.  With the transfer portal available the kids that see programs with turmoil are programs they are less likely to consider.  I think we've got Crenshaw for a few more years unless we pick up a great QB that beats him out in camp.  But that change is not going to happen this year.

Just a few things to consider.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 05:27:45 AM by penguinpower »