Author Topic: Duquesne GameDay Thread  (Read 4319 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne GameDay Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2022, 05:55:30 PM »
Uneventful..

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2022, 06:13:41 PM »
Final score is misleading, I did not see any improvement in either line no pressure on their qb until the fourth. Our qb play needs to improve.

They did have a bad fourth qtr, not sure if they wore out or just got rattled.

Not sure why they punted the last two times, like they gave up.

Certainly happy with the win, but we are not where we need to be,
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 08:10:45 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2022, 06:49:18 PM »
I am also happy with the win. But, I didn’t see much improvement with our QB play and our D still couldn’t put much pressure on their QB. Crenshaw still had trouble with the long passes down field.

Hope #8 can stay healthy all season.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2022, 07:22:27 PM »
Yeah…hate to say it but Crenshaw is NOT the one. Several times on sidelines Tomczak was working with him.  Seems a little late for that.  Still a firm believer that DP needs more time to get more players but gonna be a long year again.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2022, 09:08:21 PM »
We are deeper.  As of right now DL is average but deeper.  Back up players are better than last year's players.  We won with our depth. The game came to a point where they just couldn't stop the TB

The soft zone was not good, but it allowed the LB position to create turnovers.  We need more recruiting and some better coaching on defense.

The QB needs to set his feet like he did in the second half of last year. He clearly wasn't doing that today.  Throwing off balance made him inaccurate.  We were lucky we didn't have turnovers.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »
Dukes did have one game under the belts.  As for Crenshaw.  Not sure how I feel.  It seems he still struggled after the first read.  He looks uncomfortable at times  back there.   I guess this another training season for him.   Phillips will never be successful till he can recruit D1 QB. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 04:41:27 AM by YSUGO »
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2022, 10:59:40 PM »
I am trying to view this performance with some perspective, but it is very hard to do so. The less said about the game's first two minutes the better. And the third quarter was terrible. Poor effort coming out of the locker room.  It was last year's Western Illinois debacle revisited. But we did get our act together for the fourth quarter.

Besides the short td run, how many running plays did the coaches call for Crenshaw?  If he is not a dual threat qb with 10-15 called runs per game, he is basically worthless.  I almost had the impression that the coaches did indeed use this game as a training session. It seemed like they told him to stay in the pocket and never run.

We also yielded 7 out of 16 third down conversions to a NEC team.  I guess that happens when the pass rush is nonexistent.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2022, 09:33:36 AM »
My take on the game. The Dline is improved against the run. Not much of a pass rush though. The pass defense was lacking for the 1st 3 quarters. The zone they played much of the time would let recievers run open as they stood in their assigned spot and then try to tackle them after an easy catch. And with little to no pass rush that did not work. The 3 interceptions were encouraging and the result of the zone defense so maybe there is hope, especially if the pass rush improves. The man defense was better, but not up to last year at the end of the year in my opinion. The Oline is better. Did some good run blocking, but the pass protection was lacking, but may be better than last year. The QB never had time to really look over the field. The QB throwing did not look any different than last year, and for the most part our recievers were well covered. Tomzak was a bright spot. Much substitution on defense so by the end of the game I think Duquesne was gased. Our depth seems improved.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
Well I finally watched the TV broadcast. My 3-year old grandson was not as ready for a game as I thought. So I had to miss most of quarter 4. I wanted to see something positive before I commented. Honestly did not make much difference. We simply have too much work to do & I fear we lack the talent.  We were simply equaled (or outplayed) from the start until 4:38 into quarter 4. That is what I would expect from the xDSU's or UNI, not Duquesne.

- We do have more depth. But do we have the talent level?
- That QB for Duquesne watched every receiver that he threw to from the time he took the snap to the time "They caught the the ball". How does this happen against a good prep defense, let alone a DI football team like YSU? We will never be able to play man-to-man. That one defender we have one the outside (I did not jot his number down) was getting beat play after play.
-Special teams were very seasoned & played reasonably-well. Kicking, receiving and coverage.
- Crenshaw is not cutting it. I do not see anyone behind him. The line is still weak, but the mechanics are not there. In his defense, this is not the same Crenshaw as last year. Maybe they are forcing him to run less and it is throwing his rhythm off? Do we want him running?
-Where's the beef? We need some size taking hand-off's. I love McLaughlin, but we need about 3 inches and 30lbs that can give us 20-35 carries if needed.
Without those turnovers, we lose this game.

In short ... big plays on both sides of the ball will not win games. Besides those INT's all came from linebackers.