Author Topic: Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun Awarded Contract Extension  (Read 4428 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun Awarded Contract Extension
« on: August 28, 2022, 12:10:26 PM »
After leading the Youngstown State men's basketball program to three straight winning campaigns for the first time in nearly 40 years and reaching the postseason for the second time in three seasons, Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun has received a contract extension, YSU Executive Director of Athletics Ron Strollo announced.

The new agreement is a five-year deal that extends Calhoun through the 2026-27 season.

"We are pleased with the direction of our men's basketball program under the direction of Coach Calhoun," Strollo said. "This commitment just reflects our support of our men's basketball program, and the priority we put in the stability of our head coaching positions.

"Coach Calhoun and his staff have developed a great culture among our student-athletes, both academically and athletically, and our student-athletes and our coaches have made a tremendous impact on our community. He has done a great job building outstanding young men, and I think our community has really supported Jerrod and Sarah and their family.

"We're excited about the upcoming season and what else lies ahead in the future."

Calhoun is the first coach in YSU's Division I history to take the program to multiple postseason appearances in the 2022 The Basketball Classic and the 2020 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, which was canceled due to Covid-19.

He has led the Penguins to three straight winning seasons for the first time since 1982-85 after posting a 19-15 mark in 2021-22. Over the last three years, the Penguins have won 52 games, which matches a school mark for most victories in a three-year span (1982-85).

"I want to thank YSU President Jim Tressel, Athletics Director Ron Strollo, and our Board of Trustees for their trust in me to lead our team and their commitment to our men's basketball program," Calhoun said. "My family and I love being here at Youngstown State, and the Youngstown community has truly embraced us. We are grateful for the opportunity to lead this program and look to build upon the successes we have achieved here."

Calhoun has also guided six All-Horizon League selections in five seasons, and became the first coach in 21 years to have multiple players earn all-conference laurels in the same season.

The 19 wins in 2021-22 were also the most since 2000-01 and set a school record for most wins as members of the Horizon League. The Penguins also set a school record for most conference wins with 12.
Last season, Youngstown State also tied the Division I record for most home wins with 13 and secured the program's second postseason berth in three years with an appearance in the inaugural The Basketball Classic. The Penguins also won their second postseason game with a 70-65 victory over Morgan State.

Dwayne Cohill led the Penguins with 14.9 points per and a .835 free-throw percentage and was named to the All-Horizon League Third-Team. Cohill ranked third in the league in free-throw percentage and 10th in scoring. He scored in double figures 25 times and had eight games of 20-or-more points.

Fans can purchase season tickets by calling the YSU Athletics Ticket Office at (330) 941-1YSU or visiting the Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium. Penguin Club/Courtside Coaches Club memberships for the upcoming campaign are also available.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun Awarded Contract Extension
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 11:01:23 AM »
Latest ESPN Bracketology has us playing Kansas as a 15 seed in the first round!  Nice the program is getting noticed!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 12:11:17 PM »
Yes finally we are getting respect from everyone nationally

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Verbal recruit for men's basketball
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:31:48 PM »
We got an early commitment for 2023.  Gabriel Dynes  who is 7-3

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Verbal recruit for men's basketball
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 05:50:57 AM »
We got an early commitment for 2023.  Gabriel Dynes  who is 7-3

According to website, he is 7’3” and 190#. A 2* recruit with 6.9 points and 4.5 blocks per game. He is reported to be verbally committed to YSU.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 07:22:35 AM »
Video shows him blocking shots.   He averaged almost 5 blocks per game.  Needs to gain weight but most likely will not play much as a freshman.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:50:48 AM »
No doubt he can put on a few pounds without slowing him down but 7' 3" is 7' 3". You can't coach height!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »
No doubt he can put on a few pounds without slowing him down but 7' 3" is 7' 3". You can't coach height!

Yes. Ricky Tunstall (spelling?) was 7’4”” during the Mike Rice’s era @ YSU.
The man was second in the nation in rebounds (behind only to Houston’s Olajuwon). Unfortunately, nothing much else (nicknamed Ricky Standstill by the YSU fans). But, 7’4” is still 7’4””.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 10:27:22 AM »
Tunstill blocked tons of shots too.  Highly ranked there as well.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 10:29:33 AM »
I think You meant blocked shots.   He only averaged less than 10 rebounds per game.  He blocked at least 4 per game making him the best shot blocker we had in recent years

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 02:08:04 PM »
I think You meant blocked shots.   He only averaged less than 10 rebounds per game.  He blocked at least 4 per game making him the best shot blocker we had in recent years

My mistakes, I meant blocked shots. I still remember hearing Mike Rice telling the refs, after a foul call on Ricky, “hey, the kid could block shots….he is top in the nation…

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2022, 02:28:44 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BhhPerScY

12 eggs and 5 lbs of ribeye and will see you after your red shirt season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5BhhPerScY

12 eggs and 5 lbs of ribeye and will see you after your red shirt season.

Lol. Don’t forget the 3# of potatoes, 2# of bacon or learn to shoot like KD from outside the arc

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 08:51:28 PM »
     Another verbal.                  https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/anthony-breland

Offline chezmustache

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2022, 01:00:19 PM »
     I get nervous when the recruits we receive verbal commitments from, or sign, have zero or only one other Division I offer.  We have been down this road before with little or no success (Vargo, Chicone, Lucarotti, Long, Ogoro, et al).  Given Calhoun's track record, it may be wishful thinking to believe he can see Division I talent where 360 other Division I coaches cannot. 

One caveat to this observation.  The fact verbalcommits.com or other recruiting databases list an offer or do not list an offer does not make it so.