Author Topic: YSU football starts Fall camp  (Read 4803 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU football starts Fall camp
« on: August 04, 2022, 05:36:59 AM »
From today’s Tribune and Vindy:

Penguins begin fall camp with excitement

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 4, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes YSU head coach Doug Phillips speaks to his team following their first practice of fall camp yesterday afternoon.

YOUNGSTOWN — The excitement was palpable Wednesday morning at Stambaugh Stadium, as Youngstown State began its fall camp ahead of of its Sept. 3 season opener against Duduesne and the rest of the 2022 season.

“It’s like Christmas morning; it’s like opening presents,” said YSU coach Doug Phillips. “But that’ll wear off, and then it’s like Groundhog Day because we’re going to do this for the next 24 days. To be able to overcome that adversity, the mental toughness side of it, that’s what I’m anxious to see. But we’ve had a hard offseason, so hopefully that prepared our kids for a hard preseason camp.”

The Penguins are seeking to improve from their 3-7 mark a season ago. Of those seven losses, three were to opponents which YSU led entering the fourth quarter.

Taking the next step begins with the offense, says quarterback Demeatric Crenshaw.

“It’s really on me and the offense,” he said. “If we click, I feel like we’re going to do really well.”

Crenshaw enters his sophomore campaign after earning Missouri Valley Football Conference Freshman of the Year honors last season. He accumulated 791 yards and six touchdowns passing and added 585 yards and seven touchdowns rushing.

He took first-team reps Wednesday, along with tailback Jaleel McLaughlin, who was named to the watch list for the Walter Payton Award, given to the top offensive player in the FCS. Up front, the Penguins return nearly all of last season’s starting unit, and each of the returners started in at least five games last season.

At receiver, Bryce Oliver hauled in a deep catch at one point during team drills. C.J. Charleston and Latrell Fordham, a transfer from Eastern Michigan, also worked into the mix.

Also of note on the offensive side, Alliance product Brandon Alexander has moved from quarterback to wide receiver. Springfield alum Beau Brungard is working out with quarterbacks behind Crenshaw and Mitch Davidson, who took second-team reps.

“They’re all looking good,” Crenshaw assessed. “The (offensive) line, I can’t wait to see what they’re going to do. They’re bigger, stronger, faster. So that’s what I would say jumps out to me.”

Defensively, the line also returns plenty of experience, including Dylan Wudke and James Jackson on the ends and Chris Fitzgerald, Hunter Allen and Andres Lehrmann, among others, are also back. The linebackers lost Grant Dixon, but brought in Western Illinois transfer Greg Benton, who joins a corps that includes Griffin Hoak, who had the second-most tackles on the team last year.

The secondary welcomed Ohio State transfer Marcus Hooker to its ranks Wednesday. He joins a unit that includes Warren G. Harding graduate Troy Jackubec as well as Quincy Lenton, Tyjon Jones and others with significant playing experience.

So far, Phillips likes how the Penguins have started.

“We’re lightyears ahead of where we were if you look at Day 1 a year ago to now,” he said. “That spring and what that allowed us to do with the kids, if you ask all of our players, their football IQs are up. They know the offense; they know the defense.”

Of the defense, he added, “We have to be sound. We have to be fundamentally sound. To come out here and work those fundamentals, that’s got to be the focus.”

And it’s that day-by-day process Phillips wants his team to focus on the most.

“If you go in the locker room, there’s not one opponent up on the schedule,” he noted. “We’re focusing on the Penguins. Where do we need to get better? Where do we need to build depth? That competition at every position and finding ways to come out every day and find a way to get better as a team (are the focus).”

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU football starts Fall camp
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 08:34:07 AM »
It’s good to see the program getting local media attention.

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 09:42:28 AM »
Any word on how things are going?  Any freshman pushing for playing time?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 05:56:55 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

Penguins building depth in 1st fall scrimmage

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 14, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes YSU’s Dra Rushton (Liberty) stiff arms Devin Johnson during the Penguins’ first scrimmage Saturday afternoon.

YOUNGSTOWN — Defense won the day, 27-21, at Youngstown State’s first team scrimmage Saturday, though the score was mostly secondary to the purpose.

“For us, it’s about building depth,” YSU head coach Doug Phillips noted. “To come out and do a live scrimmage from start to finish and be able to get the (second- and third-string players into live action), and now we can go back in the film room and see the film, evaluate them and see who can help us when we get into the season.”

The first string offense sputtered to begin the day, posting back-to-back three-and-out series. That included a pair of Demeatric Crenshaw incomplete passes on drive one and a sack of Crenshaw and another incompletion on drive two. He did find Bryce Oliver for a 9-yard gain in that span.

However, on the first stringers’ third series, the offense hit a groove, particularly in the ground game. Dra Rushton, a Liberty graduate, received first-team reps in place of Jaleel McLaughlin, who was held out of the scrimmage to prevent any injuries. Rushton ran for 64 yards and a touchdown as part of an 11-play, 75-yard touchdown drive capped by his 1-yard plunge into the end zone.

“The offensive line told me, ‘Come on. We’re ready to go; let’s work.’ The pigs out there, they moved everyone, and I just have to find a hole and hit it. So I credit the O-line,” Rushton said.

Crenshaw also completed an 11-yard pass to Bryce Oliver during the series.

“We know what Dra did in the spring, and we had a rep count on Dre,” Phillips said. “That first two series of the scrimmage, he showed what he can do with the football in his hands, and once we saw that, we said, ‘OK, now let’s go find the No. 3 back.'”

To that end, Phillips highlighted the play of Ursuline alum Dante Walker and Austintown Fitch graduate Randy Smith Jr.

Walker had a rushing touchdown, while Smith picked up nice gains at times and also factored well into YSU’s passing game, particularly in the flats.

Receiver Max Tomczak also had a strong day with the second-team offense, catching passes of 60 and 20 yards from Mitch Davidson on one drive, capped by the second reception for a touchdown in the corner.

Chase Glover-Rogers had a pair of receptions, one for seven yards and one for 14, the latter from Crenshaw.

“We know we have to build depth. We know C.J. Charleston, Bryce Oliver and Latrell Fordham; they’ve shown in spring and through camp thus far. So to see Max Tomczak on one series catch four balls, one being a touchdown, to see Chase Glover making plays, that’s really where we needed to build depth on the offensive side of the ball,” Phillips said.

Tomczak nearly had another touchdown, as he was wide open up the seam. But a Crenshaw pass just missed the mark.

Defensively, Phillips noted the rep count was a bit higher, as the unit features a lot of new faces.

“The Marcus Hookers, the Caleb Burrs at safety, the Greg Bentons, Keon Freemans, they got a lot of reps today because it’s a new defense for them. So they’re learning as we go. For them to have the opportunity to play that many plays today will make them better.”

So far, Phillips said he likes what he sees in terms of progress.

“I thought we made a huge jump from Week 1 to Week 2, which you do,” he noted. “I thought we were a completely different team this week practicing. Now we come in for Sunday practice, and we have to get refocused. We have to make another huge jump going into Week 3 of camp.”

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2022, 05:44:29 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy:
YSU offense shines in team scrimmage

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 21, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — For the better part of his tenure at Youngstown State, head coach Doug Phillips has opined about the need for a more dynamic offense, particularly in the passing game.

If Saturday’s intrasquad scrimmage was any indication, the Penguins may finally be finding their way.

On the second play from scrimmage, Demeatric Crenshaw hit Bryce Oliver deep for a 74-yard touchdown, sparking a sharp performance by the first team offense that also included a handful of other passes downfield to Oliver and Lattrell Fordham, as well as a 22-yard touchdown to tight end Luke Hensley and a 19-yard touchdown to Fordham.

That was bolstered by rushing touchdowns of 50 yards and 68 yards by Jaleel McLaughlin.

“What we showed today is we do have that big play ability, I think,” said YSU coach Doug Phillips, who noted he would have liked to see more lengthy drives. “I think we have the guys that can go downfield (and make plays).”

He added, “When you can start hitting those passes, teams can’t just pack in nine (in the box), and now that gives more running lanes for Jaleel and Dre (Rushton) and (Crenshaw).”

Crenshaw finished the scrimmage 16-of-18 for 275 yards and three touchdowns, while Oliver nabbed five catches for 129 yards and a score. Hensley caught four passes for 88 yards, and Fordham snagged five catches for 48 yards.

McLaughlin racked up 130 yards on six carries.

“We talked about (improving the pass game), and that’s one thing we’re working on all year. Once we complete the ball in the air, we know we can run the ball,” Crenshaw said.

At receiver, Max Tomczak worked with the first team, filling in for C.J. Charleston, who was injured earlier in the week.

On the second team, Mitch Davidson completed 9 of 18 passes for 75 yards, while Joey Farthing caught three passes for 89 yards.

Beau Brungard worked as the third string quarterback and went 5-of-14 for 68 yards and added a few runs for first downs.

Of continuing to build depth at all positions, Phillips said, “I don’t know if I’ve ever repped as many threes and fours in camp before, but playing in (the Missouri Valley Football Conference), you better have depth. For those threes and fours to get significant reps, not only in practice but to come out here and do it live … we’re going to be a program that develops players, and we have to make that an emphasis. We have young kids that we think will be players in the future, and we have to give them the reps so they’re ready to go when the time comes.”

With just one week of camp remaining, Crenshaw says the team is continuing to grow together, and is growing more confident.

“I see a lot more (brotherhood and trust),” Crenshaw said. “The brotherhood is growing stronger, and we’re trusting people like me, a young quarterback. I have a year under my belt, and they trust me (to make plays).”

Those are things Phillips says the team needs to continue to develop those relationships and intangibles.

“Besides the Xs and Os, what we do in our team meetings, what we do in the locker room, there are so many intangibles that you have to have,” he said. “The leadership — how do you become the best version of yourself — we’ve been talking about the toughness, the mentality when you’re faced with adversity, not making excuses, but finding the answer. Those are things we’re going to continue (to develop). … We need to keep continuing to grow and trend in the right direction.”

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2022, 11:31:44 AM »
Good to see that Crenshaw completed 16 out of 18 passes.  If he evolves into a true dual-threat quarterback, this season could get really interesting.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2022, 07:02:48 PM »
There is a lot to be encouraged about the offense seeing those passing numbers and the rushing numbers from McLaughlin.

Our offense should keep us in games this year, but I do hope the defense made strides from last year.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 05:40:18 AM »
From today’s Tribune/ Vindy on YSU defense::

Penguins defense looks to improve under new coordinator, assistants

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 25, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State sophomore Deamontae Diggs looks to break through the line of scrimmage during a scrimmage on Aug. 13 at Stambaugh Stadium.

YOUNGSTOWN — A new regime has taken over the Youngstown State defense, and the Penguins are seeking to take a step forward under that leadership this fall.

Jahmal Brown enters his inaugural season as defensive coordinator for the Penguins, taking over for Joe Schaefer, who took an assistant job at Texas A&M.

Brown previously served in the same role at the Division II level for the previous four seasons, including the last two at Lenoir-Rhyne.

Joining Brown in their debuts are defensive line coach Deonte Gibson, linebackers coach John Haneline and cornerbacks coach Christian Dukes.

Of his preferred style, Brown said, “My thing is always getting guys to be able to play fast and play physical.”

The staff is faced with a tall task in turning around a YSU defense that finished 10th out of 11 Missouri Valley teams in terms of scoring and total defense.

So far, though, Brown likes how things have gone in both the spring and now fall camp.

“I think we’ve accomplished (playing fast and physical) so far. To look back at the spring to where we are now, we’ve done a really good job,” he said. “The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing. If you have a good idea of what you’re doing and where you need to go based off of what the offense gives you, it allows you to play fast.

“So we’ve been fortunate that (head) coach (Doug) Phillips has given us a lot of time to be able to walk through run fits so we can slow the process down and guys can grasp it a little bit easier.”

From a player’s perspective, junior linebacker Griffin Hoak says things are meshing well.

“It’s kind of fun getting to know new coaches. You have to build that trust before you can go out on the field and play 100 percent for him. So building trust from spring until know, I think we kind of got to that level. Going out for them now, I think it’s just going to be a really fast, physical defense, shooting gaps and just be making plays,” he said.

Here’s how the defensive lineups shake out:

DEFENSIVE LINE

So far, this is where Brown says the strength of the defense lies.

“Our guys have gotten off the ball, and they play well with their hands. They play physical,” he said. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”

The line features a fair amount of returning experience.

On the ends, James Jackson is back for his senior season, and Dylan Wudke is entering his sophomore campaign, as is Andres Lehrmann.

Jackson and Wudke have been “very vocal” leaders, according to Brown. Jackson started in all 10 games last season and was credited with 21 total tackles, including 14 solo tackles. Wudke played in all 10 games, and started in eight. He had 24 tackles, including 13 solo stops, and had four sacks.

Inside, Anthony Johnson and Chris Fitzgerald have worked with the first string defense, and Brown highlighted Lehrmann and Deamontae Diggs as critical depth pieces on the second-string unit.

Lehrmann played in nine games last season and also filled in on special teams. He had 22 tackles, 12 of which were solos.

LINEBACKERS

The linebacking corps features both old faces and new.

Hoak is back for his junior campaign and figures to be one of the heart and soul players of the defense. As a sophomore, he started in all 10 games and finished third on the team with 47 tackles, including 31 solo stops.

Brown also highlighted a pair of newcomers who transferred into the program this offseason: Keon Freeman and Greg Benton Jr. Freeman is in from Division II University of Charleston (WV), while Benton last played for MVFC foe Western Illinois. Benton recently was named an All-MVFC Preseason Second Team selection. At Western, he was an MVFC honorable mention and started in 10 of the 11 games in which he played. He had 54 tackles, the third-most of any Leatherneck.

Also back this year is Alex Howard, who played in 10 games last year and had 22 tackles. Of those, 16 were in the final four games. Logan Pasco is back for his sophomore year after playing in seven games in 2021, as well, and sophomore Devin Johnson also will be back after playing in nine games last year.

Behind them is a slew of freshmen.

“Our backers are playing a lot faster (since spring). They’re a lot more physical,” Brown said.

SECONDARY

Like the linebacking position, this year’s YSU secondary is a mix of returners and newcomers.

Safety Quincy Lenton figures to be the leader of the unit, though Brown says he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example.

“He does a good job of bringing the young guys along, so I’ve been pretty pleased with what we’ve seen from the leadership standpoint,” Brown noted.

Lenton played in four games and started in three last season after returning from an Achilles injury he had sustained in April. He had 15 tackles and an interception.

Brown also likes what he’s seen from other safeties Tyjon Jones and Marcus Hooker, and at corner he took note of Warren G. Harding graduate Troy Jakubec, Natavious Payne and Valley Christian graduate Jordan Trowers, who Brown said has been a “surprise” and “really good for us.”

Jones enters his sophomore season and played in nine games in 2021, including five starts. He had 26 tackles, including a career-best eight against North Dakota State. Jakubec started in seven games last year and appeared in all 10, and had 26 total tackles and seven pass breakups. He also will be a sophomore.

Payne played in nine games and started in two last season and had 19 tackles.

Hooker, meanwhile, transferred to YSU from Ohio State and will look to make an immediate impact for the Penguins.

Also returning to the defensive backfield this year that have previous experience at YSU are Ezekiel Blake, D’Marco Augustin, Amarian Robinson, Gage Salyers and Alijah Curtis.

In addition, the Penguins picked up Caleb Burr (Lafayette) and Andrew Hardin (Monroe) in the portal, and like at linebacker, have a bevy of underclassmen looking to grow in the program.

And as a whole, are there any concerns for Brown as the season begins next Saturday?

“Not yet. I think we did a good job of cleaning things up (during camp),” he said.

YSU begins its season Sept. 3 against Duquesne.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 09:17:36 PM »
Very excited for the season! I hope the defense is improved as described. Will be interesting, tomorrow Duquesne plays at Florida State, so we can get a preview of how good or bad they are before we play them next week.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2022, 06:00:50 AM »
From today’s Tribune/ Vindy on YSU defense::

Penguins defense looks to improve under new coordinator, a$$istants

LOCAL SPORTS
AUG 25, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes Youngstown State sophomore Deamontae Diggs looks to break through the line of scrimmage during a scrimmage on Aug. 13 at Stambaugh Stadium.

YOUNGSTOWN — A new regime has taken over the Youngstown State defense, and the Penguins are seeking to take a step forward under that leadership this fall.

Jahmal Brown enters his inaugural season as defensive coordinator for the Penguins, taking over for Joe Schaefer, who took an a$$istant job at Texas A&M.

Brown previously served in the same role at the Division II level for the previous four seasons, including the last two at Lenoir-Rhyne.

Joining Brown in their debuts are defensive line coach Deonte Gibson, linebackers coach John Haneline and cornerbacks coach Christian Dukes.

Of his preferred style, Brown said, “My thing is always getting guys to be able to play fast and play physical.”

The staff is faced with a tall task in turning around a YSU defense that finished 10th out of 11 Missouri Valley teams in terms of scoring and total defense.

So far, though, Brown likes how things have gone in both the spring and now fall camp.

“I think we’ve accomplished (playing fast and physical) so far. To look back at the spring to where we are now, we’ve done a really good job,” he said. “The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing. If you have a good idea of what you’re doing and where you need to go based off of what the offense gives you, it allows you to play fast.

“So we’ve been fortunate that (head) coach (Doug) Phillips has given us a lot of time to be able to walk through run fits so we can slow the process down and guys can grasp it a little bit easier.”

From a player’s perspective, junior linebacker Griffin Hoak says things are meshing well.

“It’s kind of fun getting to know new coaches. You have to build that trust before you can go out on the field and play 100 percent for him. So building trust from spring until know, I think we kind of got to that level. Going out for them now, I think it’s just going to be a really fast, physical defense, shooting gaps and just be making plays,” he said.

Here’s how the defensive lineups shake out:

DEFENSIVE LINE

So far, this is where Brown says the strength of the defense lies.

“Our guys have gotten off the ball, and they play well with their hands. They play physical,” he said. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”

The line features a fair amount of returning experience.

On the ends, James Jackson is back for his senior season, and Dylan Wudke is entering his sophomore campaign, as is Andres Lehrmann.

Jackson and Wudke have been “very vocal” leaders, according to Brown. Jackson started in all 10 games last season and was credited with 21 total tackles, including 14 solo tackles. Wudke played in all 10 games, and started in eight. He had 24 tackles, including 13 solo stops, and had four sacks.

Inside, Anthony Johnson and Chris Fitzgerald have worked with the first string defense, and Brown highlighted Lehrmann and Deamontae Diggs as critical depth pieces on the second-string unit.

Lehrmann played in nine games last season and also filled in on special teams. He had 22 tackles, 12 of which were solos.

LINEBACKERS

The linebacking corps features both old faces and new.

Hoak is back for his junior campaign and figures to be one of the heart and soul players of the defense. As a sophomore, he started in all 10 games and finished third on the team with 47 tackles, including 31 solo stops.

Brown also highlighted a pair of newcomers who transferred into the program this offseason: Keon Freeman and Greg Benton Jr. Freeman is in from Division II University of Charleston (WV), while Benton last played for MVFC foe Western Illinois. Benton recently was named an All-MVFC Preseason Second Team selection. At Western, he was an MVFC honorable mention and started in 10 of the 11 games in which he played. He had 54 tackles, the third-most of any Leatherneck.

Also back this year is Alex Howard, who played in 10 games last year and had 22 tackles. Of those, 16 were in the final four games. Logan Pasco is back for his sophomore year after playing in seven games in 2021, as well, and sophomore Devin Johnson also will be back after playing in nine games last year.

Behind them is a slew of freshmen.

“Our backers are playing a lot faster (since spring). They’re a lot more physical,” Brown said.

SECONDARY

Like the linebacking position, this year’s YSU secondary is a mix of returners and newcomers.

Safety Quincy Lenton figures to be the leader of the unit, though Brown says he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example.

“He does a good job of bringing the young guys along, so I’ve been pretty pleased with what we’ve seen from the leadership standpoint,” Brown noted.

Lenton played in four games and started in three last season after returning from an Achilles injury he had sustained in April. He had 15 tackles and an interception.

Brown also likes what he’s seen from other safeties Tyjon Jones and Marcus Hooker, and at corner he took note of Warren G. Harding graduate Troy Jakubec, Natavious Payne and Valley Christian graduate Jordan Trowers, who Brown said has been a “surprise” and “really good for us.”

Jones enters his sophomore season and played in nine games in 2021, including five starts. He had 26 tackles, including a career-best eight against North Dakota State. Jakubec started in seven games last year and appeared in all 10, and had 26 total tackles and seven pa$$ breakups. He also will be a sophomore.

Payne played in nine games and started in two last season and had 19 tackles.

Hooker, meanwhile, transferred to YSU from Ohio State and will look to make an immediate impact for the Penguins.

Also returning to the defensive backfield this year that have previous experience at YSU are Ezekiel Blake, D’Marco Augustin, Amarian Robinson, Gage Salyers and Alijah Curtis.

In addition, the Penguins picked up Caleb Burr (Lafayette) and Andrew Hardin (Monroe) in the portal, and like at linebacker, have a bevy of undercla$$men looking to grow in the program.

And as a whole, are there any concerns for Brown as the season begins next Saturday?

“Not yet. I think we did a good job of cleaning things up (during camp),” he said.

YSU begins its season Sept. 3 against Duquesne.

Ahhh..... nothing like an article full of cliches, generalities, and coach speak to fill up some space in the paper this week.  I can't believe both the writer and coach are paid actual money based on the content of this interview between the two.  Let's see how many bullsh** answers we've gotten to describe the "turn around" and state of affairs on defense:

1".play fast and play physical'
2."we’ve done a really good job,”
3. “I think that’s where it starts. It starts up front on both sides of the ball.”
4. "The first part of doing that is making sure guys understand what they’re doing.'
5. "things are meshing well'
6. 'have been “very vocal” leaders,"
7." I think we did a good job of cleaning things up"
8. "He does a good job of bringing the young guys along,"
9. "he isn’t as vocal and instead leads by example."

There are more in there but you get the drift.  At least he could provide us with philosophy, what type of defense he wants to run, how he is adapting his defense to the talent, speaking about specific kids and their strengths etc.

Nope.

Instead we get this article that's completely useless.  Hell, I could have looked up the player information & statistics and then thrown in some general comments that coaches overuse to waste the readers time. That's basically what you've got here

Maybe I'm just getting old, but you have to do better with a native Youngstown audience that knows football very well.  I miss the days of Joe Scalzo writing.  He had a way of getting some nugget out of each interview because he would get satirical of the coach speak if he got zero content.  Hell, he would sometimes do it anyway even after the unspoken agreement was understood and certain lines were not to be crossed (remember some of those articles on Wolford's defense?).

What a waste of words and time. We demand higher standards from both the coach and the writers. Period.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 06:19:24 AM by penguinpower »

Offline robmat2571

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 08:05:04 AM »
I had very similar thoughts when I read the article.  "A bunch of nothing!". I wish I had those 2 minutes of my life back:).

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 09:05:13 AM »
I had very similar thoughts when I read the article.  "A bunch of nothing!". I wish I had those 2 minutes of my life back:).

IMO, our problems with last year’s offense were the OL’s inability to protect our QB and Crenshaw’s inability to complete the throws to the receivers. On defense, our problem was our inability to put pressure on the opponent’s QB.

After reading the articles from our home town report, I do not any clues if we have made any improvements.

Will find out next week…..

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 11:35:25 AM »

It actually makes the coaches look stupid.  Just don't f***ing interview if you don't want to give information.  Better yet, provide the talking points you want to make.  Ensure that they are significant, relevant, contain the depth, breadth, precision and some accuracy to grab excitement from the fanbase.  This is just awful.

DP does a good job letting us know where he wants to go in terms of the talent and execution using coach speak.  This interview has some levels of retardation in it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 11:40:41 AM by penguinpower »

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2022, 11:37:47 AM »
Our defensive line last year was terrible.  Slow and not very athletic.  If we are going with the same guys the weight room & extra practices cannot fix that. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 12:21:56 PM »
Are we recruiting Isiah Jones from Brookfield.   He is a monster.     6-4.  190.  Athlete.    Does anyone know?