Author Topic: Pete Wins 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge  (Read 1489 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Pete Wins 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge
« on: July 25, 2022, 09:30:21 AM »
INDIANAPOLIS – The 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge wrapped up on Friday with Pete of Youngstown State defeating Oakland’s Grizz through fan voting on Instagram to earn the crown and successfully defend his 2020 title. Pete earned 53 percent of the vote in the championship round.

“Winning the first title was an unbelievable feeling, but I think this one is even more rewarding. It's true what they say, that defending a championship is always harder because every other mascot puts a target on your back. We were challenged in all three rounds, especially in the finals. Grizz is well-coached, worked hard and put up a great fight, but we prevailed behind our amazing fan base here in Youngstown,” said Pete after the victory. “Penguin Nation is the best, and I can't wait to see our fans again when our fall sports begin next month. Thank you to the Horizon League for running another great contest, and we look forward to going for a "Three-Pete" at the next Mascot Challenge!”

Prior to the championship round, Pete earned 61 percent of the votes to defeat Milwaukee’s Pounce in the semifinals to punch his ticket to the final round. Pete also bested Northern Kentucky’s Victor E. Viking in the quarterfinals.

https://horizonleague.org/documents/2022/6/22/Bracket.pdf
Bracket Above
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 09:32:39 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Wins 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:40:59 PM »
INDIANAPOLIS – The 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge wrapped up on Friday with Pete of Youngstown State defeating Oakland’s Grizz through fan voting on Instagram to earn the crown and successfully defend his 2020 title. Pete earned 53 percent of the vote in the championship round.

“Winning the first title was an unbelievable feeling, but I think this one is even more rewarding. It's true what they say, that defending a championship is always harder because every other mascot puts a target on your back. We were challenged in all three rounds, especially in the finals. Grizz is well-coached, worked hard and put up a great fight, but we prevailed behind our amazing fan base here in Youngstown,” said Pete after the victory. “Penguin Nation is the best, and I can't wait to see our fans again when our fall sports begin next month. Thank you to the Horizon League for running another great contest, and we look forward to going for a "Three-Pete" at the next Mascot Challenge!”

Prior to the championship round, Pete earned 61 percent of the votes to defeat Milwaukee’s Pounce in the semifinals to punch his ticket to the final round. Pete also bested Northern Kentucky’s Victor E. Viking in the quarterfinals.

https://horizonleague.org/documents/2022/6/22/Bracket.pdf
Bracket Above

Thanks, Pete, and congrats!

When I went to school in DC and wore YSU apparel, friends would call him, "Pete the pissed off penguin."
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Wins 2022 Horizon League Mascot Challenge
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2022, 10:22:40 AM »
Who woulda thunk it?

Congrats
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne