Author Topic: Jim Tressel stepping down as YSU President  (Read 2596 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Jim Tressel stepping down as YSU President
« on: June 22, 2022, 09:24:34 PM »
https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news/jim-tressel-stepping-down-as-ysu-president/

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio (WKBN) — Youngstown State University President Jim Tressel announced Wednesday he will be stepping down next year.

Tressel announced his decision at Wednesday afternoon’s YSU Board of Trustees committee meeting.

He plans to step down on February 1, 2023.

Board Chair John Jakubek said details regarding a plan to identify Tressel’s successor will be released as they become available.

“It has been truly a blessing and labor of love to serve Youngstown State University…I cannot thank my family enough for allowing my schedule, and the needs of our university, to take priority and center stage,” he added. “It is now only fair to have Ellen, our wonderful children and grandchildren, extended family, friends and former students, set the schedule,” said Tressel in a press release.

A native of Northeast Ohio, Tressel first came to YSU in 1986 as head football coach. In 15 years, including six as executive director of Intercollegiate Athletics, YSU won four national championships. In 2001, Tressel left YSU to become head football coach at Ohio State University. In 10 seasons, he guided the Buckeyes to the 2002 National Championship and seven Big Ten Championships.

After leaving Ohio State and after a short stint as executive vice president for Student Success at the University of Akron, Tressel returned to Youngstown to become YSU’s ninth president.

Ellen Tressel is a YSU graduate and an accomplished businesswoman and philanthropist engaged in charitable causes and community organizations. She began her own financial career in her family’s business in Youngstown and served 17 years at Butler, Wick and Co.

The Tressels are the parents of four accomplished adults – Zak, Carlee, Eric and Whitney – and have two grandchildren, Jonathan James and Rose Marie Alson.

In a letter to the staff and students at YSU, Tressel said, “It has been truly a blessing and labor of love to serve Youngstown State University in a number of capacities, and we will continue to do so, in whatever fashion that the YSU Board of Trustees sees fit.”

We reached out to Tressel for comment but he was unavailable. There will be another Board of Trustees meeting Thursday night.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 09:26:50 PM by guinpen »
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Tressel stepping down as YSU President
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 09:34:51 PM »
I knew this was coming.  I think someone either on here or told me that he was building a home down here in Florida.  This man gave his all to us.  He deserves the praise.  He gave us a lot of joy through the years and I know that run we had in the 90’s was one for the ages.  But when u think about it the Tressel magic ended hiss last season I think when I think we were undefeated against the Salukis at home I think it was a kick off or punt that bounced of a penguins helmet we lost that game and I remember during the playoffs against Richmond in there sh**hole stadium in on a rainy day Ryan was starting a game winning drive and he was changing the play and he threw the game ending int and that was the end of the Tressel era. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 09:21:07 AM »
Yes. I posted the new home comment. It was coach Dantonio that brought it up on the half-time interview.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2022, 09:42:26 AM »
He has done a good job and I hate to see him go. With that said, I suspect that he will have to come up with a new hobby to keep busy. Folks like him thrive on that 24 - 7 schedule and constantly addressing issues.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2022, 11:12:56 PM »
He will have held this job for over 8 years, a very long tenure for a college president in this era. He will be 70 or very near it on his last day.  It is time.  Few men in the history of the university will have left behind a more enduring legacy, in Stambaugh stadium or in Tod Hall.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 05:13:41 PM »
Good luck Coach Tressel