Author Topic: Penguins in the USFL  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Penguins in the USFL
« on: June 20, 2022, 05:55:04 PM »
The USFL playoffs are this Saturday, and YSU alumni/ former player David Rivers III, who now plays for the NJ Generals, play the Philadelphia Stars at 3 pm on FOX. The game will be played in Canton.

The Generals (as they were in the 1980s) are the dominant team in the league.

Rivers' HC is Mike Riley, who was Pelini's replacement at Nebraska. The Generals have multiple MVFC players on its roster.

https://www.theusfl.com/new-jersey-generals-team-roster

The USFL has some nice additions to the rulebook including a 3-point conversion, and the option to run a 4th and 12 on your 33 yard line instead of an onside kick.  The 1980s USFL was innovative and the first pro FB league to offer a 2-point conversion. Many teams had exceptional talent including Trump's NJ Generals that had Heisman winners Herchsel Walker and Doug Flutie.

The other Penguin in the USFL, Charles Baldwin, played for the worst team, the Pittsburgh Maulers. The team was originally owned by Youngstown's DeBartolo and the name was inspired by his chain of malls.

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/two-former-ysu-football-players-drafted-by-the-usfl/

The USFL championship will also be in Canton, on July 3rd, and will also be televised on FOX. Likely Rivers will be playing in the championship game as NJ has already defeated the Stars twice this season.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins in the USFL
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2022, 11:49:59 AM »
Saw Birmingham play Pittsburgh back on May 28th in Birmingham.  I didn't realize David Rivers (and Charles Baldwin who I must have seen in the game I went to) were playing in the USFL.

I do plan on going this Saturday to Canton.  Will keep my eye out for David Rivers.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Penguins in the USFL
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2022, 10:07:46 PM »
In the 80’s, I saw YSU’s Cliff Stoudt play for Birmingham at that same stadium (Legion Field).

I read that the Maulers only sell out of Three Rivers was when Stoudt returned there with the Stallions. Apparently, he was heckled the entire 60 minutes and was pelted with snowballs.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen