Author Topic: 2022-23 Men’s Basketball Schedule  (Read 6634 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2022-23 Men’s Basketball Schedule
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 08:53:17 PM »
Saw the new roster but no way I can predict the lineup.   Coach has a lot experienced guys at his disposal.   

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 06:14:06 AM »
Saw the new roster but no way I can predict the lineup.   Coach has a lot experienced guys at his disposal.

Agree.
I would be surprised anyone will see much playing time unless you are Junior, senior and senior+ in the rotation. I will wait and see if anyone can step up to be that reliable “big” inside.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2022, 06:03:28 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

Youngstown State Men’s Basketball opens season at Canisius

Women open at home against Wofford
LOCAL SPORTS
JUL 21, 2022

JOEL WHETZEL
Staff writer
jwhetzel@tribtoday.com

Correspondent photo / Robert Hayes YSU's Shemar Rathan-Mayes converts a three-point shot during the second half of the Penguins 71-61 loss to Purdue Fort Wayne.

YOUNGSTOWN — Youngstown State men’s basketball will begin its season at Canisius, according to a game contract obtained by the Vindicator and Tribune Chronicle.

YSU’s return trip to Buffalo, N.Y., will be Monday, Nov. 7, the first day of the college basketball season.

The teams met at the Beeghly Center in December, a 71-43 Penguin victory.

In that game, Malek Green, who transferred to YSU from Canisius this offseason, scored 19 points and secured nine rebounds.

Other game contracts returned included those from the Navy MTE. The Penguins will head to Annapolis Nov. 19-20 to face UC San Diego and Navy, respectively.

The Penguins also will host Southern University on Dec. 16 at the Beeghly Center. YSU is paying Southern $70,000 for the visit.

On the women’s side, the Penguins will begin their season Nov. 7 with a home contest against Wofford. YSU will pay the Terriers $8,000 for the visit, and there is no return trip as part of the agreement.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2022, 12:15:45 AM »
So YSU will be paid $85k to play at Notre Dame then give Southern University $70k to play at Beeghly Center.  That makes no sense wonder if payout is accurate? Maybe there's another big game with a large payout to be announced.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2022, 05:37:27 AM »
So YSU will be paid $85k to play at Notre Dame then give Southern University $70k to play at Beeghly Center.  That makes no sense wonder if payout is accurate? Maybe there's another big game with a large payout to be announced.

Yes. I have trouble believing YSU would pay $70k for that game. We probably averaged less than 2k paying fan at the home game. Mathematically, it would not generate $70k unless some sponsors or TV contract kick in $$$.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 07:32:18 AM »
What about the previous announced return trip to Central Michigan on Dec. 21st?   Is that still on?
Geneva at home in November as well.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 01:01:09 PM »

Yes. I have trouble believing YSU would pay $70k for that game. We probably averaged less than 2k paying fan at the home game. Mathematically, it would not generate $70k unless some sponsors or TV contract kick in $$$.

Most likely the Tribune/Vindicator writer accidentally typed an additional zero. $7000 would sound about right for a mid-major opponent.  If this figure is accurate, it is a terrible waste of resources.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2022, 01:06:20 PM »
     Agree in part.

The Penguins brought in four older D1 players.  The incoming players replaced four transferees who stepped down to D2 and D3 programs (Chicone, Ogoro, Long and Vargo).  The departed players should never have been at YSU in the first place, but that is another story.  The newcomers' age and experience as D1 players should make the Penguins better.

Will the incoming players elevate the program to contender status?  Bryce McBride was a part-time starter at Eastern Michigan (9-21, Sagarin rank 299 of 358).  Brandon Rush was a starter at Fairleigh Dickinson (4-22, Sagarin rank 349 of 358).  Malek Green was a sixth man at Canisius (10-21, Sagarin rank 264 of 358).  Adrian Nelson was a part-time starter at Northern Kentucky (18-12, Sagarin rank 194).  Outside of Nelson these players are unaccustomed to winning.  Two came from dreadful programs.  How these four translate to making YSU a contender may be more hope than reasonable projection.   

Mattia Acunzo (Toledo, through Robert Morris) and the return of a healthy Garrett Covington could increase the possibility of success.     

Excellent points. We have been fooled too many times. We are all ready to embrace a good team but let's actually see it first.

I am still concerned that Calhoun's recent freshmen recruits are vastly inferior to his first two batches.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2022, 02:11:36 PM »
Thus far the schedule is less than impressive.  If I had what I thought to be a competitive squad  (league contender) I would focus on a challenging road schedule with pay days.  What they've been doing for the last 20 years has only resulted in less fan interest.  I know the majority of the schedule was set prior to the transfers but there are opportunities to improve what is already set. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2022, 06:29:52 PM »
Maybe nobody wants to play us because of our potential to be good team.  IDK