Author Topic: YSU at Ohio State Saturday September 9th 2023 (Time TBA)  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU at Ohio State Saturday September 9th 2023 (Time TBA)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2022, 02:48:26 PM »
This is no different than Chattanoga of Mercer playing Alabama!  Just a money game for us, and schedule filler for them!

Offline YSU45

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 03:21:37 PM »
800K!!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2022, 03:21:44 PM »
I hate these games but I guess that they are a fact of life. I wonder how much we will make from this game. It might be enough to nearly pay for replacing the seats in the gym.

$800,000

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2022, 10:02:34 AM »
It’s interesting that an FCS opponent was chosen to replace an FBS opponent.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2022/04/ohio-state-football-schedules-youngstown-state-for-2023-replacing-san-jose-state.html

Both of the losses to the Buckeyes were with a HC that could never even beat UNI.

During one of those games, the most legendary FCS Over FBS upset ever occurred (App St over MI).

I’ll also add to my list above that, with Wolf’s recruits, we were also beating WVU in 2016.

On 9/9/23, two D1 programs will play. If we have deteriorated to the extent that we are incapable of fielding a team without being disgraced, then maybe we aren’t a D1 program.

This is how you become the “Team of the 20s.”

Big risk. Big reward. Small risk....

I get the negativity. Strollo is an incompetent who has infused a loser stench into the legendary program he inherited. But maybe things can turn around despite his sabotage.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »
It is possible we don't score. It is also possible we will score. Hell with as good as Michigan State was last year (finished 11-2 and 3rd place in the BIG) we still scored on them.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2022, 06:56:33 PM »
If u ask me this discussion about whether we should or shouldn't be playing this game is silly.  I believe part of the problem is that what fans remain are stuck in what use to be.  We are 25 years removed from YSU football being at the pinnacle of 1-AA football.  Hell the name isn't even the same anymore.  YSU needs this game for so many reasons its not worth listing.  If YSU lays an egg its on the coach.  It will be his 4th season and if he doesn't have something going by then we have bigger problems then a 55-0 loss to OSU and what the media has to say in Ohio.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2022, 06:49:08 AM »
From today’s Tribune/Vindy

EWS SPORTS OPINION LIFE OBITUARIES CLASSIFIEDS JOBS PLACE NOTICE
SUBSCRIBE
homepage logo
April 27, 2022 | Today's Paper | Submit News | Subscribe Today | Welcome: Kin - Logout

Penguins to receive $800k from Buckeyes

YSU also will play RMU, Valpo in 2023
LOCAL SPORTS
APR 27, 2022

Staff report

YOUNGSTOWN — Youngstown State will receive $800,000 for its game with Ohio State in 2023, according to public records obtained by The Tribune Chronicle.

The game is set for Sept. 9, and will be the first meeting between the programs since 2008, when now-YSU president Jim Tressel was the head coach at OSU. The Penguins are 0-2 all-time against the Buckeyes.

The other finalized non-conference games in 2023 will be home contests against Valparaiso (Thursday, Aug. 31) and Robert Morris (Saturday, Sept. 16). YSU is paying those schools $115,000 each, according to the game contracts.

YSU is 4-0 all-time against Robert Morris, with all four contests held in Youngstown. The teams last met in 2019, a 45-10 romp for the Penguins. They also met for three consecutive years from 2015-2017, a 21-14 overtime win in 2015, and wins of 38-6 and 30-0 the following two seasons.

According to fbschedules.com, which compiles schedules from across college football, the Penguins and Colonials will meet again in 2025 and 2027.

The Penguins have taken on Valpo three times in program history, and are undefeated in the series. In 2011, YSU throttled Valpo 77-13, and the following year won 59-0. The teams last met in 2018, a 42-7 Penguin victory.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2022, 08:55:52 AM »
It's amazing how many negative comments there are about this game >:(.  Are some of you afraid of your own shadows?  Anytime YSU plays a big-time program I'm more excited about that game then any game on the schedule.  I look forward to playing Kentucky this year and looked forward to MSU last year.  I wish we could play two of these games every year.  I guarantee our players look forward to these games.  True, we are not the team we want to be or used to be but hopefully we are moving in the right direction. If it was up to some of you, Appy State would never have played Michigan and therefore, one of the greatest moments in sports history would not have occurred. 

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2022, 09:31:31 AM »
Valpo?  Can my sister take some snaps?

The margin of victory will be greater in the Valpo game than the margin of defeat in the Shoe. If not, YSU is now officially an Olympic Sports school.

So we get $800k plus benefits with TOSU, and pay $115K plus earn gate lol and and loge/ads/sales. Isn’t Strollo an accountant?

RMU….almost another Butler fiasco in 2015 under the rapist recruiter. DP is an upgrade (my Aunt Sara would be an upgrade) from Bozo, so this should be a comfortable win. 
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2022, 09:40:08 AM »
For the record my dislike for the game is simply because I hate the arrogance of everything associated with that school and would rather have nothing to do with them.

I have no problem playing 1 or 2 money games a year with the exception of the "zits and can't" until they come to our house.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2022, 09:42:56 AM »
For the record, I do not hate OSU, my daughter and S-I-L graduated from there & I am proud. It is just that Youngstown loves OSU to the point of ignoring YSU, and all this will do is reinforce the naysayers that still think we are D-II football. Anyone but OSU is fine with me, just get your check, have a real game-plan and play everyone.

PS: complete agreement with Akron and Kent Guinpen. I was nevermore happy than when that game was cancelled. What a mistake.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 09:17:58 AM »

Ohio State dishes out $1.9 million to host Kent State in 2026
Youngstown State is receiving $800,000 for its game in 2023.

There's a difference on the field between FBS & FCS football programs and apparently there's a one million dollar difference in payouts.

Youngstown State is receiving $800,000 for its game at Ohio Stadium in 2023.

Ten other non-conference opponents between 2022 & 2028, all FBS schools are receiving at lease one million dollars more.

Arkansas State and Toledo, both who play in Columbus this coming season are each receiving $1.8 million dollars.

The highest payout goes to Connecticut in 2025. They'll receive $1.95 million.

Western Kentucky, who plays the Buckeyes next year are receiving $1.8 million.

Kent State, who agreed to play at Ohio Stadium in 2026 is getting $1.9 million dollars.  Ball State, is also getting $1.9 million for a game in 2026.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »
The more appropriate comparison is what other FBS schools pay other FCS schools for their body bag game.  If YSU thinks they arent getting paid enough, a dozen others would step in for the same amount or less.  Ohio State may be arrogant but the could have thrown this cash to any number of colleges.  The fact that YSU got three of these games and others got fewer over the same period Im sure rankles some of the others, especially since YSU is FCS.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 09:09:16 AM »
The more appropriate comparison is what other FBS schools pay other FCS schools for their body bag game.  If YSU thinks they arent getting paid enough, a dozen others would step in for the same amount or less.  Ohio State may be arrogant but the could have thrown this cash to any number of colleges.  The fact that YSU got three of these games and others got fewer over the same period Im sure rankles some of the others, especially since YSU is FCS.

This is the market value of YSU, whether we like it or not.
There is a common connection to all 3 of these games…..Jim Tressel.
I doubt very much these games would have happened without him.
Let us enjoy the moment. For better or for worse, there will be over 100k know about YSU in the horseshoe ( and thousand’s more on TV).
I think it is a good deal for the university to get that kind of visibility plus $800k.
Who knows, may be a few of the third string bench warmer might decide to enter the portal transferring to YSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2022, 09:17:53 AM »
This may be a channel 10-only game I hear that B10 network may not even carry it. Price discussions going on, but I suspect that the B10 will not give up a chance to show the Buckeyes in football. That is the market value of YSU.