Author Topic: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal  (Read 15231 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2022, 11:14:52 AM »
Daniel Ogoro is transferring.

I figured he would be gone.  Seemed like he had a lot of promise in his freshman year.  Not sure what happened this past year but he couldn't hit shots and was terrible from the FT line. 

You have to wonder about Chris Shelton.  I hope Myles Hunter stays. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2022, 11:57:15 AM »

I figured he would be gone.  Seemed like he had a lot of promise in his freshman year.  Not sure what happened this past year but he couldn't hit shots and was terrible from the FT line. 

Ogoro’s problems in making FT, out of control drives and inconsistent shooting pretty much doomed his play time.
Miles Hunter still needs to improve on the consistency in his mid range jumper and 3 point shots.
I hope the new guys can mix in with the returning four ( Mayes, Cohill, Shelton and Hunter. We still need improved playing from Dunn.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2022, 12:51:43 PM »

Ogoro’s problems in making FT, out of control drives and inconsistent shooting pretty much doomed his play time.
Miles Hunter still needs to improve on the consistency in his mid range jumper and 3 point shots.
I hope the new guys can mix in with the returning four ( Mayes, Cohill, Shelton and Hunter. We still need improved playing from Dunn.

Yes.  Ogoro had some success the year before driving into the lane, but really struggled with that and had too many turnovers and too many missed open shots.

YSU struggled against the zone, but Hunter was effective beating it when he hit a lot of those mid range shots.  I'd like to see him get his 3-PT % up.  He was better the year before.  He seemed to fit good in the 6th man role.     

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2022, 03:39:41 PM »

Yes.  Ogoro had some success the year before driving into the lane, but really struggled with that and had too many turnovers and too many missed open shots.

YSU struggled against the zone, but Hunter was effective beating it when he hit a lot of those mid range shots.  I'd like to see him get his 3-PT % up.  He was better the year before.  He seemed to fit good in the 6th man role.   

100% agreement on Ogoro.   My blood presure went up when he had the ball on offense.  Great at driving the ball but his shot wasn't there.  He did hit a 3 to beat Wright State so I wish him well which might be the d2 level.

Myles can be instant offense off the bench.  Love his high release at mid-range.   I also thought Shelton might bolt.  He has a beautiful looking stroke so it might be mental pressing thing that he can move on from and contribute in the up coming season.

Really blown away how coach C attacked the portal.  I'm now wondering if portal recruiting is > than hs recruiting at a place like YSU or is it a short term fix ?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2022, 07:43:43 PM »
Going to be a completely brand new team besides DC.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2022, 04:27:24 PM »
Today’s MBB press conference on YouTube announcing the 5 signees.

https://youtu.be/CnpO4YDuqnA

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2022, 05:38:03 PM »

He said there might be one more.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2022, 05:57:53 PM »

He said there might be one more.

Yes. He has said that he still has a scholarship left and he is not sure what direction he plans to take.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2022, 03:25:23 PM »
Thought that was an excellent press conference with a lot of insight from Coach Calhoun.

Does sound like pretty much everyone else is coming back (at least for now); Shemar, Hunter, Dunn, Owens along with Gurley & Irwin, who didn't play last year.  Don't think Chris Shelton was mentioned; could see him transferring.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2022, 07:06:20 PM »
Thought that was an excellent press conference with a lot of insight from Coach Calhoun.

Does sound like pretty much everyone else is coming back (at least for now); Shemar, Hunter, Dunn, Owens along with Gurley & Irwin, who didn't play last year.  Don't think Chris Shelton was mentioned; could see him transferring.

I missed that he didn't mention Shelton which makes sense since if he gets another recruit they would be at 14 and you can only have 13.  Can't get over how rosters change so much in the portal era.   I got a feeling even coach Calhoun like others are learning on the fly on how to navigate on how to build a roster.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2022, 08:53:23 AM »
Let's remember that you can only transfer one time without sitting out for a year.  After that 1-time "free transfer," if you decide that you want to transfer again you then must sit out for one year.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2022, 03:39:57 PM »
Michael Lucarotti is transferring to Gannon.
Collen Gurley who walked on from Mt union last year is transferring  per verbal commits site.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 03:41:02 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »
I have a feeling coach is going to get a few more!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2022, 05:24:41 PM »
Dana Balash is reporting that Covington is returning to YSU for his sixth season.  Apparently, not much interest in the transfer portal for a guard coming back from a serious injury.