Author Topic: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal  (Read 15222 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal
« on: March 25, 2022, 12:49:50 PM »
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 12:50:54 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Garrett Coviington is in the transfer portal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 02:26:38 PM »
Guess that answers the question about Covington's eligibility.  Disappointed as well but can't say it's shocking. Have to wonder if he'll try and go to a bigger school. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2022, 04:18:02 PM »
Guess that answers the question about Covington's eligibility.  Disappointed as well but can't say it's shocking. Have to wonder if he'll try and go to a bigger school.
I was hoping that he would return. Hopefully, he could get into a program that would get into the NCAA tournament.
As for us, we might be able to get lucky getting couple players like Cohill through the transfer portal.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 05:11:28 PM »
I was hoping that he would return. Hopefully, he could get into a program that would get into the NCAA tournament.
As for us, we might be able to get lucky getting couple players like Cohill through the transfer portal.

Hopefully he'll get to a program better than last years transfers which in my opinion didn't do much for them although Naz can say he competed in the ACC.

So far the portal has given YSU Mattia Acunzo & Brandon Rush.  I have a gut feeling there might be a few on the roster who may transfer so I'm sure the coaching staff is looking.  There are two hs seniors that are commits and signing day is April 13th.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2022, 05:25:38 PM »
I was just looking at the transfer portal and saw that Wright State's Grant Basile is leaving.  Thats 18 pts and 9 rebounds a game and probably the best big in the Horizon.  Major blow to them.

Also saw that IUPUI lost Bakari LaStrap.  Really liked his game.
This is the reality of College basketball where coaches have their head on a swivel now they have to rerecruit their own players,recruit the highschools,and work the portal.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
I was just looking at the transfer portal and saw that Wright State's Grant Basile is leaving.  Thats 18 pts and 9 rebounds a game and probably the best big in the Horizon.  Major blow to them.

Also saw that IUPUI lost Bakari LaStrap.  Really liked his game.
This is the reality of College basketball where coaches have their head on a swivel now they have to rerecruit their own players,recruit the highschools,and work the portal.

I am surprised that the Wright state guy is leaving. He has made it to the big dance this year already. By staying put, he might be able to do it again next year.

He might be looking for more visibility to transfer to a power 5 program. However, He risks losing some playing time.

I was wondering if this NIL thing has anything to do with players seeking more visibility in the high profile programs to get $$$ contract.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2022, 10:12:19 AM »
With the rules such with transferring. It makes programs like YSU
Struggle to rebuild or have any continuity.  We still have a chance to make the dance look at St Peters.  But I feel you need to recruit year to year now and hope lightning strikes to get us there.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 10:19:02 AM »
Too bad about Garret. This entire tranfer portal along with NIL rules have really made it difficult for teams and coaches to hold on to players, especially at our level. I know that Garret was really close with Naz, visiting him often at Clemson, so that probably had something to do with it. Garret gave us so much so it is hard to be upset with him, but for college sports in general this entire situation is a game changer. Teams will need to learn to accept this system and see how to operate in it to be successful. Much like our baseball team loosing 5 players from last year, it really is hard to bring in players, coach up their skills, and then loose them to power 5 teams. I guess the recruiting of high school players will sure be different these days. The power 5 teams will get players from our level and some high school players will be left over that historically we did not get.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2022, 04:30:09 PM »
Tanner Holden is in the transfer portal. That's 2 big blows to Wright State losing Basile & Holden.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 04:50:57 PM »
Tanner Holden is in the transfer portal. That's 2 big blows to Wright State losing Basile & Holden.

I actually think Tanner is the most talented returning player in the league.   Both can play in the Big 10.  I read that Wisconsin might be a player for Basile.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2022, 10:01:41 AM »
Two changes in collegiate sports:

1. Drop the portal. Or at least put much more thought into it. It is clear they are just trying to appease the "Bigs".
2. Drop the outside paychecks, or at least allow it to go to a "team" fund.  This idea of paying an individual player is a joke. No one does it alone. Let's see that QB complete a pass with no receivers or protection.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 07:01:14 PM »
Two changes in collegiate sports:

1. Drop the portal. Or at least put much more thought into it. It is clear they are just trying to appease the "Bigs".
2. Drop the outside paychecks, or at least allow it to go to a "team" fund.  This idea of paying an individual player is a joke. No one does it alone. Let's see that QB complete a pa$$ with no receivers or protection.

I agree,
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 01:02:08 PM »
Someone just told me that Luke Chicone has entered the transfer portal. He looked overmatched late in the year after a promising start.  Why do I have this feeling that things are starting to unravel for Calhoun.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 01:32:40 PM »
Someone just told me that Luke Chicone has entered the transfer portal. He looked overmatched late in the year after a promising start.  Why do I have this feeling that things are starting to unravel for Calhoun.

Yes it's true https://twitter.com/lukechicone/status/1509555351942844424?s=20&t=9OaKM3x-UpNKu2MjcrR8fw

I didn't expect this one because I thought him and Coach Calhoun were close.

He was never the same after getting injured.  Scored a total of 8 points in the last 12 games and 0 in the last 5 including not even playing against Fresno St.  Struggled shooting the ball.  Was just 2-11 from 3 and 11-22 from the FT line. 

He was a good passer, but his size and shooting hurt him.  Have to wonder if he drops down to D2 or D3. 

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2022, 02:25:07 PM »
He was too small anyway