Author Topic: Fresno State  (Read 7257 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fresno State
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 09:16:51 AM »
I don't care who they had out!  YSU gave a good effort and accounting of themselves against one of the top four Mountain West schools.

YES!  Can we say that we lost arguably our best player 3 games into the season with an achillies injury.   We need to realize that coach C has got the program out of the cellar of the conference and we're in the middle and fighting to compete with the upper echelon.  The last few years YSU has been competitive where they once were a doormat.   No way (maybe one or two years exception) the last 30 years could YSU battle a Fresno on the road like they did the other night.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 10:34:31 AM »
Recruiting at our level is difficult. The east coast is not that far away that we can't recruit there. It usually takes a coach with ties to an area to recruit it. Look at our women's basketball team. Coach Andy Crane, who has since left, came from the Minnosota area. We had a long list of players at YSU WBB from that area, a 10 hour drive away. Chelsey Olson to name just one. It will probably dry up now that he is gone. But recruitiing is key at all levels and at times a good coach hire can get you into areas that previously were not open to you.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2022, 02:25:42 PM »
To compare St Peters recruiting area to Youngstown is like comparing Ohio weather to Florida.  St Peters is in Jersey City and close to NYC and Philly.  The biggest challenge is finding kids that qualify for college.  Lots of street ballers on the east coast. Physical, gifted and fearless.  However,  most dont understand team concept.

So true. I watched those guys a few times in their run and they were very much Ghetto ball. They were coached to be overly-aggressive and knew that eventually the officials would stop calling it as often. They moved their pivot foot on almost every single pick they set and I doubt it was called more that a few times each game. That one player drove underneath the board, out-of-bounds almost every time, then pushed his backside up against the defender & that was not only never called, but most of the times the defender was called. Had he moved under the hoop face-forward he would have been called every time ... very smart.

Then when they met Duke, St. Peters had no idea what to do. Stronger with more finesse in almost every way. So it showed how aggressive St Peters was and they were suddenly called. Look how long it took Peters to even score back-to-back baskets. By then it was too late. Their run reminded me of Butler, only Butler had the 3-pointers. I also noticed that Duke got back in position when inbounding the ball, where most teams stayed with St. Peter's press, Duke did not. Of course that is easy to do when you are playing with a 20-point lead.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2022, 04:49:39 PM »
Well!  They got the final four they wanted!  Big dollars!  UNC vs Duke-coach K's last go around. Kansas vs Villanova!  Another two storied programs!  Should be good!  Ratings should be high!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2022, 08:28:38 PM »
To compare St Peters recruiting area to Youngstown is like comparing Ohio weather to Florida.  St Peters is in Jersey City and close to NYC and Philly.  The biggest challenge is finding kids that qualify for college.  Lots of street ballers on the east coast. Physical, gifted and fearless.  However,  most dont understand team concept.

So true. I watched those guys a few times in their run and they were very much Ghetto ball. They were coached to be overly-aggressive and knew that eventually the officials would stop calling it as often. They moved their pivot foot on almost every single pick they set and I doubt it was called more that a few times each game. That one player drove underneath the board, out-of-bounds almost every time, then pushed his backside up against the defender & that was not only never called, but most of the times the defender was called. Had he moved under the hoop face-forward he would have been called every time ... very smart.

Then when they met Duke, St. Peters had no idea what to do. Stronger with more finesse in almost every way. So it showed how aggressive St Peters was and they were suddenly called. Look how long it took Peters to even score back-to-back baskets. By then it was too late. Their run reminded me of Butler, only Butler had the 3-pointers. I also noticed that Duke got back in position when inbounding the ball, where most teams stayed with St. Peter's press, Duke did not. Of course that is easy to do when you are playing with a 20-point lead.

Assume you're talking about North Carolina and not Duke.  Coach Calhoun has always talked about with YSU when shots aren't falling it carries over to a team's defense.  I think this was the case in this game.  Saint Peter's missed so many close range shots and open 3's early, which really allowed UNC to open up a lead.  Not that it would have changed the outcome, but it probably would have been a closer game.  I think UNC's quickness just really affected Saint Peter's.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2022, 09:57:08 AM »
Yes I meant UNC, not Duke. That will be an interesting final-4 game. They said it is the first time they have faced each other at this level.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 08:32:14 AM »
Back to Fresno State, they did end up winning The Basketball Classic title.  After the YSU win, they beat a good Southern Utah team by 21 and Coastal Carolina on the road by 11 in the championship game.  I think they were clearly the best team in the tournament and YSU had them on the ropes. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 11:18:37 AM »
Back to Fresno State, they did end up winning The Basketball Cla$$ic title.  After the YSU win, they beat a good Southern Utah team by 21 and Coastal Carolina on the road by 11 in the championship game.  I think they were clearly the best team in the tournament and YSU had them on the ropes.

I still could not get this out of my head. How many more games could we have won if Naz, Q and Covington were all on our team this year?

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »
I think of this everyday >:(
I hate the transfer portal with a passion.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 04:11:50 PM »
I would think at least 23-25 game!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2022, 04:52:06 PM »
I would think at least 23-25 game!
In that case, Naz and Q could have very well experienced the big dance without having to transfer out. How ironic!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2022, 05:25:04 PM »
Yep!  How did that work for them? 

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2022, 05:26:58 PM »
I must agree, I hate the transfer portal.  How in the heck are you supposed to build a program the right way?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2022, 06:49:00 PM »
Everyones seems to agree that the portal hurts the the mid-major and works well for the big conference schools but YSU took Owen Long who was the leading scorer on his D2 team and Tevin Olison who was the leading scorer at his NAIA team.   Just saying mid-majors are bullying in their own way.

As far as not having Q,Naz,and Garrett.  I can only say that the portal gave us Cohill and Olison which might have been a wash only because Q's history of injuries in which he missed games at Fordham and his shooting % was not great this year.  Losing Naz was a bigger blow along with Covington going down. No doubt if they all came back and health was not a factor this team would have been scary good.

Really think Cohill is going to have a monster season and should be a 1st team all Horizon type.  Still thinking about the Fresno broadcast team that thought Dwayne was the best guard they saw all season.

Also did everyone see where Naz declared for the NFL draft.  I quess he'll try to make it as as a TE.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 06:51:00 PM by ucfpengbuck »