Author Topic: Fresno State  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Fresno State
« on: March 21, 2022, 06:35:23 PM »
Game is listed for telecast on ESPN+

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Fresno State
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 08:12:31 PM »
Probably one of the best teams in the tourney.  They are 20-13 on the year, 12-4 at home.  They were #73 in the net rankings, YSU is #249.

Looks like YSU is a 12.5-13.5 underdog. 

YSU is going to have to play a lot better than they have in awhile to pull off the upset.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 09:15:56 AM »
Yes. The game is on my calendar for ESPN+. It adds automatically. so it must be getting coverage.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:58:09 AM »
Finally some clarification as YSU did get a bye into the quarterfinals after Wofford withdrew. 

Last night Southern Utah beat UTEP and will now play Portland on Friday night with the winner playing the YSU - Fresno State winner. on Monday  Southern Utah has had to win 2 games to get where they are compared to everyone else only winning 1.  They did give them a home game against Portland. 

I'm guessing YSU will have to stay out there if they win. 

Coastal Carolina and South Alabama have advanced to the semi-finals.  This will be South Alabama's 3rd home game, Coastal Carolina has had 2. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 10:11:11 PM »
Well it is a nice start to the game, 7-0 good guys
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 10:56:21 PM »
Played very well the first half.  Cohill has been amazing.  Downside is just 1-10 from 3 and have had a lot of good looks; a few were in and out.  YSU has done well taking care of the ball and doing a good job on the boards.  Now let's hope the 2nd half struggles don't continue.  Fresno State has only won 1 game this season when trailing at the half.     

The TV broadcast has been horrible.  Many times the screen went black, audio is slightly behind, could hear a girl in the background calling replay to the announcers, scoreboard wasn't updated the last several mins

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 12:17:15 AM »
Another 5-8 minute breakdown in the second half got them!  Other than that, good effort!  Now, let us see who stays and who goes!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 12:26:09 AM »
Shame to lose that one.  Thought YSU played really hard but that stretch during the 2nd half after YSU built the lead to 10 and then it was turnover after turnover and they made a lot of shots.  YSU took care of the ball in the first half with only 4 turnover, but had 10 in the 2nd half and there had to be 6 within a few mins.  Then when Akuchie fouled out that pretty much sealed the deal.  Just hated to see his career end that way.   

Cohill was just outstanding once again.  When was the last time someone from YSU had 8 assists? That in addition to 26 points.  I hope he hasn't played himself out of YSU.  It was nice to see Jamir Thomas go out with probably his best game of the year.  Wish we could have saw more of that throughout the year.

A lot of credit to YSU in this one as they seemed to really utilize their game plan.  Even though they lost, I felt that was the best they'be played since probably the Oakland & Detroit wins during the end of their 6 game win streak.

On a side note, thought Fresno State taking it down to dunk it at the end when YSU called off the dogs was pretty cheap.  Not sure the last time I saw a team do that

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 12:39:09 AM »
Another 5-8 minute breakdown in the second half got them!  Other than that, good effort!  Now, let us see who stays and who goes!

The 2nd half has hurt YSU all year.  Of course Fresno State had only won 1 game when trailing at the half all year.  The final numbers for the season is YSU was +109 in the first half and ended up -3 in the 2nd half & OT combined.  That really was the demise of the season.  Not sure if that's coaching, not executing or just the other teams making better adjustments/executing or probably a combination of everything. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 03:16:36 PM »
Had a stretch in the 2nd half where too many turnovers which killed us from holding the lead along with Akuchie fouling out.   Not enough size to win a war against their two 7-0 footers.  Outside of Jamir nothing else from the bench.  Fresno really keyed on Cohill in the 2nd half.
Fresno announcers where very complementary towards the program despite a crappy production.
Outside of playing UCLA in 2007 not sure the last time the Penguins were in California.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 03:30:17 PM »
Their bigs were too much for us and with Akuchie gone in the 2nd half we were done. Played them closer than the talent of the teams would indicate so that is good. Unfortunately costly turnovers with careless passes in the 2nd half really hurt us and were not due to a talent differnce in my opinion, just loosing focus and making some passes that were easily intercepted. But the size difference was the major problem all game with them getting many easy baskets and causing us difficulty on offense.

Dwayne Cohill is the real deal; sure hope he stays.  Will Dunn can be significant with improvement and Mays can be a contributor. Not sure about the rest of our returning team and how much they can grow as players over the off season. Who stays and who goes and who comes in to supplement our group will be key for next year. It can happen as you look around basketball.  Look at the improvement of Cleveland State in a short time and look at St Peters in the NCAA; not much more of a recruiting environment than we have in my opinion. Maybe I am too optomistic but I sure hope we can do it.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 06:40:41 PM »
Don't forget that Fresno had two starters that were hurt and another guy that was plaing hurt.  they were playing subs some of whom saw little time during the season.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 07:12:34 PM »
Penguin68,I see no reason why Cohill would leave.  He's going to be the face of the program .   Would love to see him at point next season and if Covington comes back and the addition of Brandon Rush would give some real fire power with a 3 guard offense.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 09:51:53 PM »
I don't care who they had out!  YSU gave a good effort and accounting of themselves against one of the top four Mountain West schools. 

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 01:24:05 AM »
To compare St Peters recruiting area to Youngstown is like comparing Ohio weather to Florida.  St Peters is in Jersey City and close to NYC and Philly.  The biggest challenge is finding kids that qualify for college.  Lots of street ballers on the east coast. Physical, gifted and fearless.  However,  most dont understand team concept.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 01:28:24 AM by goodnews »