Author Topic: Wofford up next for YSU MBB  (Read 5228 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Wofford up next for YSU MBB
« on: March 17, 2022, 09:19:39 AM »
According to Dana Balash's tweet this morning, YSU will play at Wofford.  Their second round game was scheduled for Friday night at 7 PM.  Not sure if that gets changed or not.  Pretty tough deal for YSU as Spartansburg is in SC and they received a bye.  There's 2 other first round games that aren't even being played until Saturday.  Still not sure how this bracket is going to work out as there would be 11 teams in the 2nd round.  Thought it would have made more sense for Merrimack and Wofford to play beings both received a first round bye. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford up next for YSU MBB
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »
Now he's reporting the game is on hold.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »
Seeing now 2 PM on Saturday at Wofford.  I guess USC Upstate playing Wofford would have made too much sense.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 03:10:50 PM »
Seeing now 2 PM on Saturday at Wofford.  I guess USC Upstate playing Wofford would have made too much sense.
Just as much sense as Kent played at S. Utah instead at YSU yesterday.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 03:19:30 PM »
Just as much sense as Kent played at S. Utah instead at YSU yesterday.

Exactly.  Nothing like wasted travel costs for teams.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2022, 09:24:44 AM »
Not so fast..

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2022, 01:39:21 PM »
This deal is becoming so strange. I figured something was up when neither school had posted anything.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2022, 01:41:54 PM »
Makeshift tournament. Pay to play no TV its an attempt by someone to make $$$ at the University's expense.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2022, 01:48:07 PM »
Makeshift tournament. Pay to play no TV its an attempt by someone to make $$$ at the University's expense.

Exactly. This tournament is a scam. The proliferation of "classics" beyond the NCAA and the NIT reminds me of the ridiculous, irrelevant football "bowl" games that pollute the landscape every December.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2022, 02:04:28 PM »
For those (including me) who could not open the link, this is the text on the Wofford Basketball website:

Men’s Basketball Withdraws From The Basketball Classic

Story Links
SPARTANBURG, S.C. – The Wofford College men's basketball team has withdrawn from the The Basketball Classic Tournament presented by Eracism. After working diligently with the tournament organizers over the past week, it was determined that it was in the best interest of Wofford to not continue in the event.

The team had received a first-round bye into the second round of the inaugural Basketball Classic Tournament presented by Eracism due to an opponent forfeiture on Monday afternoon as a result of COVID-19 health and safety protocols.

The Terriers were slated to host a second-round matchup in Spartanburg on Friday, March 18, at the Jerry Richardson Indoor Stadium and had also attempted to play the game on Saturday, March 19. Due to a variety of logistical factors, including last-minute travel issues with potential opponents, a match-up was not able to be finalized by the organizers.

"Our Wofford family did everything in their power to make a postseason opportunity happen for our players and I'm grateful for their efforts," said head coach Jay McAuley. "Our players are disappointed but with time will move on and start preparing for next season."

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2022, 02:08:28 PM »
Will Wofford forfeit the game and YSU move on to the third round? Or is this tournament over?

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
Is the coach from Bishop Sycamore the commissioner of the tournament. :laugh:

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
Is the coach from Bishop Sycamore the commissioner of the tournament. :laugh:
Lol.
I heard from the ESPN+ broadcast that the buy in for the game was $10,000. We at least got two trophies out of it and our guys were able to play another game.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »
Some of these teams just don't think it's worth it to play these games and I can't really blame them. Depending on hosting costs, travel, they are probably losing money to play games that don't really matter.