Author Topic: Wofford up next for YSU MBB  (Read 5365 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wofford up next for YSU MBB
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2022, 05:17:36 PM »
Some of these teams just don't think it's worth it to play these games and I can't really blame them. Depending on hosting costs, travel, they are probably losing money to play games that don't really matter.
Yes, I don’t think it is about making $$ for YSU. I think the administration is trying to do something for the student athletes and hopefully can also get some visibility for the university and the program. It might help future recruiting effort. Just my 2 cents.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2022, 11:12:47 PM »
Fresno State it is

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2022, 12:49:47 AM »
Looks like YSU gets the forfeit win/bye whatever you want to call it & moves to the quarterfinals & has to go to Fresno State next Wednesday night at 10 PM.

Supposedly TBC gets the gate from these events. Have to wonder how it works when YSU's game Wednesday included the women's WNIT game. The women's crowd was reported at 917 & the men's at 1045. There were definitely way more at the women's game.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2022, 06:03:02 PM »
Some of these teams just don't think it's worth it to play these games and I can't really blame them. Depending on hosting costs, travel, they are probably losing money to play games that don't really matter.
Yes, I don’t think it is about making $$ for YSU. I think the administration is trying to do something for the student athletes and hopefully can also get some visibility for the university and the program. It might help future recruiting effort. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 10:20:11 AM »
One of the best judges of character are who you surround yourself with. YSU should've protected its brand and not associated with this "tournament," unless, of course, YSU's brand has deteriorated to this level.

Maybe all Ohio D1 MBB (and even WBB) programs start a "Buckeye Madness" tournament, where you take 8 (or 4) teams that didn't qualify for the NCAA or NIT and even pick a charity to benefit (much like the Coaches vs Cancer games).

Or just sit it out rather than play in cringy, sketchy "tournaments." End the season with dignity.

I must admit I am curious to see where the wreckage lands and will follow it with a morbid curiosity.

The 404 error codes are now gone from the social activist website....so there's that......
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Online mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2022, 10:41:13 AM »
So Merrimack was the latest to withdraw and we're down to 9 teams.  Portland gets the bye to the quarterfinals.  YSU really didn't get the forfeit win over Wofford but 3 of the 2nd round winners will now have to advance to the semi-finals and 1 of the 2nd round winners will have to play Portland in the quarterfinals.

There's 4 southern schools, 4 western schools & YSU left.  Would certainly think if YSU can beat Fresno St they would get the bye and make the southern Utah/UTEP winner play Portland.  Can't see them making the USC Upstate/So. AL winner or FL GC/Coastal Carolina winner play Portland.  But who knows with this tourney as not much has made sense.