Author Topic: YSU vs Morgan State  (Read 2546 times)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs Morgan State
« on: March 16, 2022, 10:16:16 PM »
ugly win.   Outside of Cohill i'm not sure if anyone looked good.    Every time I think YSU is going to build on a double digit lead it never materializes(all season).   I watched Will Dunn at least 4 times come up to set a pick for Cohill and he never touched the defender.  I didn't know you're supposed to wiff on picks.

Really hate to be negative after winning a post season game but lucky Morgan State was 0-10 from three.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:26:05 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs Morgan State
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 11:17:50 PM »
they gave up some points in the paint.  well a lot of points in the paint.  that team had no bench and they were in position to win the game  Dunn has to hit the weghts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:19:12 PM by YSU1 »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 11:34:53 PM »
I thought YSU played real loose in the first half, almost too loose at times, probably could have been up 20.  I don't know if they thought Morgan State was just going to mail it in, but the game reminded me of the IUPUI home game.   I've said several times, YSU hasn't been the same since halftime of that game. 

I don't know if other teams make better adjustments in the 2nd half of games than YSU or what the problem is.  YSU is +107 in the first half of games this year & just +8 in the 2nd half & OT.  I know Coach said in the post-game on the radio that shots weren't falling and the guys were making the game more difficult than it was.  The press totally killed YSU in the 2nd half.  It just got them out of sorts and I thought they really looked disoriented on offense.  All of the fouls on both sides just killed the rhythm of the game.

Cohill saved the day and Morgan State's inability to make any 3 pointers- that's unreal.  I think they had went 178 straight games making at least 1.  YSU on the other hand made 5 and did well from the FT line other than blowing 2 front end of 1 & 1's (Long & Dunn).   Give Morgan State and their coaches a lot of credit.  They had a lot of seniors and it would have been easy to quit down 16 in the 2nd half.  Akuchie played well in the first half, but he just didn't seem into the game in the 2nd half.     

Coach said he was going to play a lot of guys, but it probably cost him in the first half taking the starters out.  Ogoro was the only one that didn't play.  Have to wonder if he'll be back next year.  Shelton didn't play after getting his nose bloodied. 

Surprised Kent State lost; they had the best record in the tournament.  Was hoping for a matchup between those two.  Florida Gulf Coast and Southern Utah are the only other 2 20+ wins teams, and they both won.  Everyone else has a similar or worse record than YSU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 07:03:03 AM »
Forgot all about Ogoro.   Mud,what makes you think he won't be back ?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Forgot all about Ogoro.   Mud,what makes you think he won't be back ?

Just today's world especially with the transfer portal now when guys struggle or don't get playing time.  He showed flashes last year and I was excited to see what he could do this year.  Hopefully he stays because he still has 2 years left.   

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 12:42:17 PM »
Disappointing performance in the 2nd half for all except Dwayne Cohill.  Without him we are doomed. He plays well under pressure and want the ball in crunch time. Sure hope he stays and we get help in the portal. Tevin Olison is good also, but gone after this year along with Michael Akuchie. Beyond those guys for next year we have Dunn and Hunter who both need to improve to make us a team that can compete with the top teams in the league. The others are all question marks in my mind. At the end of the game yesterday no one stepped forward to make outstanding winning plays except Dwayne Cohill. He is step above our other players except maybe Tevin a bit.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 01:08:05 PM »
Does anyone know if Covington will get another year?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 02:43:35 PM »
There is a reason Cohill was 4 star!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 02:48:50 PM »
I have heard a rummer that Covington want to return and has another year.  Also forgot about Shemar. He could be good for us next year also.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 03:08:53 PM »
There is a reason Cohill was 4 star!
It is hard to believe that he had to leave Dayton to get playing time. Does Dayton really have that many good players?