Author Topic: Basketball Accepts Invitation to The Basketball Classic  (Read 5138 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Basketball Accepts Invitation to The Basketball Classic
« on: March 09, 2022, 03:05:59 PM »
The Youngstown State men's basketball team has accepted an invitation to compete in The Basketball Classic presented by Eracism, Youngstown State Head Coach Jerrod Calhoun announced on Wednesday.

The Basketball Classic is a 32-team tournament with first-round games on campus sites starting March 14. This creates another bracket to follow and gives student-athletes across the country an opportunity to participate in the postseason and compete for a championship.

The Penguins' opponent and the entire bracket will be announced on Sunday, March 13, by the 20-member tournament selection committee.  Should YSU receive the opportunity to host a first-round game, ticket information for the event will be released that evening.

"We are excited for the opportunity to continue a successful season," Calhoun said. "If we are selected for a home game, we hope our fans will come out and help create an electric atmosphere.

"It is a credit to our guys and all the hard work they put in this season to be invited to a postseason tournament."

This is the Penguins' third Division I postseason appearance and the second in the last three seasons. Youngstown State accepted a berth to the 2020 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT), but the tournament was canceled due to COVID-19.

The Penguins first appeared in the postseason when they played in the CIT in 2013. YSU owns a CIT record of 1-1 after defeating Oakland, 99-87, and falling to Canisius, 84-82, in overtime in 2013. Both games were at Beeghly Center.

This season, the Penguins have recorded a winning record for the third consecutive season with a mark of 18-14. It marks just the second time in YSU's Division I history and the first time since 1982-83, 1983-84, and 1984-85 that the Penguins posted three straight winning campaigns.

The Penguins set a school record for most conference victories with 12 Horizon League wins, and their 18 overall wins rank tied for third in YSU's Division I history. Youngstown State also won 18 games during the 2019-20 season.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball Accepts Invitation to The Basketball Cla$$ic
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 08:15:27 AM »
Still nothing announced on this.  Not sure how first round games could start today.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »
The tournament website, where nearly all links provide 404 error codes.

https://thebasketballclassic.com/

Wikipedia’s brief history of the tournament.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Basketball_Classic

The tournament sponsors are an activist group?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ERACE
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline SAHDPanda

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 09:26:51 AM »
The Basketball Clas-sic replaced the College Inisder tournament and is run by a College Insider and their coaches social change group, Erascism eracism4ever.com.

Bracket was delayed and expected today (rumor on Twitter they did not get 32 teams to accept invitations - closer to half that).

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »
Detroit is traveling to Florida Gulf Coast to play on Wednesday.  I read where FGC had already fired their head coach after losing to Bellarmine in their conference tournament, but are letting him coach this tournament as that's what he and the players want.  Detroit didn't even have a winning record this year.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 11:55:41 AM »
So Western IL has to play UTEP at 5 PM (Mountain time) tomorrow night and this was announced at 11:30 this morning.  So WI is 1200 miles from El Paso and their game is in less than 32 hours.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 02:34:18 PM »
It was just posted that our women are hosting Kent State in the WNIT on Wednesday at 5:30.  That starting time can only mean a doubleheader with the men.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 02:52:53 PM »
It was just posted that our women are hosting Kent State in the WNIT on Wednesday at 5:30.  That starting time can only mean a doubleheader with the men.

I had thought a matchup with Kent State was possible for the men's, but I see Kent State is headed to Southern Utah.  Where did you see the time of 5:30 posted?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 03:55:07 PM »

I had thought a matchup with Kent State was possible for the men's, but I see Kent State is headed to Southern Utah.  Where did you see the time of 5:30 posted?

On the WNIT bracket. Game is listed as 5:30 in Youngstown. YSU media is stating that the time will be determined.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 04:42:29 PM »
We're playing Morgan State, and no Marvin "the human eraser" Barnes will not be on the roster.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_The_Basketball_Classic
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 04:45:00 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2022, 05:04:14 PM »
We're playing Morgan State, and no Marvin "the human eraser" Barnes will not be on the roster.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_The_Basketball_Cla$$ic
According to the website, the game is playing at YSU.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 05:36:10 PM »
“The Youngstown State men's basketball team will host Morgan State in the first round of The Basketball Classic, Wednesday, March 16. Tipoff is set for 8 p.m. at Beeghly Center. The game is part of a postseason doubleheader as the YSU women's basketball team hosts Kent State in the Women's National Invitational Tournament at 5:30 p.m. at Beeghly Center.”

https://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2021-22/releases/morgan-state-announcement-031422
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »

IDK the criteria for first round pairings, but it seems like Can't at YSU MBB would've increased hype and attendance (for both the WBB and MBB games), as well as been a more logistically sensible option.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2022, 11:17:48 PM »
The whole deal seems very odd.  It's hard to find any official information from the tournament itself.  Originally it said the tournament was supposed to start Monday now it looks like there's first round games Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  There was supposed to be 32 teams but it looks like only 21.  Wofford's opponent supposedly is out due to COVID and they get a first round bye and says they will host a 2nd round game on Friday night, which is a night before one of the first round games is being played.  So if there's 10 first round games there were will be 10 teams moving on to round 2 plus Wofford making 11 so how's that going to work?   

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2022, 09:11:21 AM »
Seems as if there just is not enough interest for a second tournament. The NCAA already takes too many teams.

With that said I think YSU did a nice job putting together a nice double header for the fans.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne