Author Topic: Slocum best coach since Peters  (Read 3231 times)

Offline PENS16

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Slocum best coach since Peters
« on: March 02, 2022, 11:57:37 PM »
After another disappointing season, I have to conclude that Jerry Slocum has been the best YSU hoops coach since Dan Peters. I reviewed the Sagarin Ratings for the last 25 years. In Slocum’s years the Horizon League was ranked so much higher than it is ranked now. It was the 12th highest rated in 2010 and 10th highest rated in 2010. The Horizon is the 24th now. Butler, Loyola of Chicago, Valpo have been replaced by low-ranked teams. Also I’m trying to remember any signature wins in the last 25 years. At the top of my head, I can only think of YSU’s win over NCAA runner-up Butler, their win at Kent State and their win over Georgia on ESPN2. All under Slocum. Slocum also had a budget that was probably half of what Calhoun has had to work with.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Slocum best coach since Peters
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2022, 09:11:51 AM »
Agree that the Horizon is nowhere near the league that it was years ago. One would think that we could be a factor every year since the strength of the league has gone down, but that is not the case. We seem content to be middle of the pack. I understand that times have changed but I still feel that we need to raise the bar on what is expected from our program.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 11:04:40 AM »
Slightly off topic, among the slim pickings, I’d go with the season KP was a SR as the best season (2012), where the season started with wins at Georgia and GW.

Best game at Beeghly? WVU in ‘81…. Second is the win over Butler. The crowd was raucous.

I’m not going to offer the distinction of “best coach” to any of these underachievers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 11:16:18 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 01:57:02 PM »
 Agree on all underachievers.  Won't judge Calhoun's body of work until he leaves here.   But the HL was much stronger when Slocum was here, programs like Butler and Valparaiso were very good mid-majors.  Slocum was a lot like Pelini, a jerk.  But Pelini in a class of his own.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 02:14:31 PM »
Speaking of Butler....and underachievers....

Pelini is a complete and total POS and has damaged the program in every way possible. I always thought the “worst coach” award was safe with Heacock until that Scumbag arrived on campus.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 07:34:15 PM »
Speaking of Butler....and underachievers....

Pelini is a complete and total POS and has damaged the program in every way possible. I always thought the “worst coach” award was safe with Heacock until that Scumbag arrived on campus.

Speaking of Pelini, I just saw him in the Boardman Sam's Club tonight

I think Slocum was a better coach than he was given credit for at YSU.  He certainly didn't have the talent in his last years that Calhoun has had.   

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 10:19:37 AM »
Slocum 12 seasons -139 wins 227 losses  (380%).  Horizon league 62-139 (308%)

Calhoun 5 seasons - 71 wins 81 losses (461%).   Horizon league 45-47 (479%)

I give Slocum some credit since the Horizon League had Butler and Valpo but it seems that todays Horizon has a lot of parity and Calhouns teams can now compete or beat the top teams which with a few exceptions slocum's usually did not.  Slocum had two big wins beating Georgia at Athens  on espn and upsetting Butler during their NCAA runner up season.  Off the top of my head I'm not sure if Calhoun has had that type of win but it's 12 seasons vs 5 so hopefully he'll have one.

Recruiting Slocum had a few marquee players especially in Kendrick perry who might be the best player in the last 20 years at YSU.  Marcus Keene was a great fine but only stayed 2 years and then goes and leads the nation in scoring at Cental Michigan.  Cameron Morse put up some hudge numbers and went for 40 at Toledo which I think was a record for an opponent at Savage hall.

Calhouns recruits in my opinion have been across the board more talented overall.  Darius Quisenberry was on the cusp of being in the same elite status as Kendrick Perry but injuries and transferring out put him behind.  The tranfer portal  wasn't like it is now when Slocum coached but that's a double sided sword.

Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter.  His team camp has given NEO potential recruits exposure to YSU.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 10:27:48 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 12:07:56 PM »
One thing about Slocum, he was very NYC college ball. He liked to find a "short star" and build the team around that player. With all the attention his "studs" got within the conference ...they always stayed around...like Q. SO that is a big difference between he and Calhoun. The conference was definitely much stronger back then. Slocum did focus a bit more recruiting on defense, but Calhoun has more 'firepower'..

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 01:54:27 PM »

Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter. 

How has Calhoun embarrassed this area?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 02:19:28 PM »

Culture wise Slocum was old school and wasn't much with the press or the community while Calhoun has embra$$ed this area and there seems to be more access along with facebook and twitter. 

How has Calhoun embarra$$ed this area?

I will let ufc explain this one. I read this as the result of a self corrected spelling. I interpret that he has intended to use “ embraced”. Just saying.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 03:27:34 PM »

How has Calhoun embarra$$ed this area?

Should be embraced.