Re: RMU
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 07:54:48 PM »
I'm biting my tongue or typing fingers.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:56:03 PM »
Robert Morris looks like they came to play same can't be said for YSU. YSU has not played well since the first half of the IUPUI game.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 08:13:48 PM »
Nice crowd, and YSU comes out a lays an egg!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »
You would think YSU was the team with only 7 wins!

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 08:29:34 PM »
That dunk was it for me
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 08:30:35 PM »
Embarrassing

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 09:01:13 PM »
It's like the same BS over and over.  Teams play zone and our players either have no clue or not coached up on how to attack a zone.  Too much isolation basketball.

Coach C is playing his Fairmont state offense using all guards or swingmen.  No bigs while every team in the Horizon pounds us to death and unless he gets someone in the portal then we'll see the same crap next season.

Can't let a 7-23 team come into your house especially in a  tournament and walk out with a W.

Congratuation to RMU.  You guys showed how to play TEAM basketball.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 09:12:16 PM »
Need some damn rim protectors!   6-6, 6-7 is fine, but need couple interior guys to battle inside!

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 10:20:51 PM »
A lot to digest in this one.  As I mentioned at halftime, RMU certainly came to play, played with intensity, while YSU either thought they could cake walk though this game or seemed tired.  YSU never played with any sense of urgency until the end.  Somehow YSU out-rebounded RMU by 1, but it sure didn't feel like it.  RMU seemed to get every loose ball, every 50-50 ball, and the rebounds that counted.

It's hard to believe that 5 days YSU controlled their own destiny at a top 4 seed and had a shot at the #2 seed now they're done after being beaten by RMU for the 2nd time at home.  RMU plays hard and is probably better than their record, but that was just their 8th win.  They only won 5 other D1 games and one of those was St. Francis. 

YSU has struggled all year against the zone and when they're not making shots like tonight it really compounds things.  Then Akuchie, Cohill, and Olison were trying to force things inside with no luck.

As I mentioned above, YSU has not played well since the first half in the IUPUI game.  They were out-played by IUPUI in the 2nd half allowing them to make a game of it, were beat from start-to-finish and basically weren't competitive when they needed it most against WSU & NKU and that continued tonight for much of tonight.  On the other side, YSU has been dominated inside.  Maybe Owens and the RMU transfer they got can give YSU some size inside next year.

Such a shame too to have that great of a crowd and not reward the fans with a good performance.  I'd say half the crowd or more left with 6 mins to go when coach took out the first team.  Give the guys credit for coming off the bench and at least giving the team a spark.  It was actually too bad Long missed the front end of the 1 & 1 and then Olison had that turnover late when he tried to pass the ball rather than just going up with an open shot because Cohill nearly singlehandedly brought YSU back scoring 11 points in the last 38 seconds.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »
Another season...another miserable end.  I'm sick and tired of going thru this same crap every single year.  Our future looked so good just 2 years ago.  Coach C. needs to get his act together, he is a disappointment.  If YSU wants to win they need to pay coaches more, gut Beeghly and make it a modern arena or move to the Covelli Centre.  Beeghly is a glorified high school gym.  We're never going to get better staying with the same status quo.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 11:23:11 PM »
Calhoun has two important jobs. He not only needs to produce a consistent winner, but he also needs to convince the disinterested population of the Mahoning Valley that men's college basketball is relevant in their lives.  The catastrophe that unfolded this evening makes both of those tasks extremely difficult if not impossible.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 11:42:58 PM »
Calhoun has two important jobs. He not only needs to produce a consistent winner, but he also needs to convince the disinterested population of the Mahoning Valley that men's college basketball is relevant in their lives.  The catastrophe that unfolded this evening makes both of those tasks extremely difficult if not impossible.

Great crowd that wanted to get into the game.  6 mins to go, YSU is down 20, the starters are coming out, and over the half the crowd is gone.  It had to be a like a bad dream for Coach.  The last 3 games have taken me back the last several years of the Slocum era where double digit losses and non competitive games were more the norm.  Calhoun has turned the program around and has brought excitement, but I'm not sure if it's at a ceiling or what.  5 years and the best seed they've been has been a 5 and haven't gotten past the quarterfinals (Slocum did get YSU to the semi-finals in his final year_.  Obviously not ready to compete with the top schools.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 08:15:44 AM »
  RMU is 4-13 on the road, two of those wins at YSU.  Number 2 is a beast for them, best player on the court.  Calhoun outcoached, their zone caused all kinds of issues.  Agree with Nick, at the D- level Beeghly is a dump.  I was at Curbstone Coaches lunch two weeks ago when President Tressel spoke.  He was asked about Beeghly, and even he said the seats beside him are falling apart and he has good seats.  But he didn't say he would do anything about it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 08:18:22 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2022, 11:34:10 AM »
All YSU needs is a center to protect the paint, more guys who can score, better bench play, a motion offense that
get open looks, better defensive play.  I think if we get these things we will be alright.