Author Topic: RMU  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: RMU
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2022, 12:37:54 PM »
Up until the last 3 games I had hope. It has been lost at this point. Last nights game was really poor as it seemed the effort was not there to keep up with RMU on loose balls and especially the inside game on both O and D. We need inside players who can not be intimidated,  can rebound and score. I thought we had that earlier in the season, but it has been lost as of late. As for next year who knows what the portal can bring. Two of our best players, Dwayne Cohill and Tevin Olison, came via the portal.  We need more and hope that Dwayne returns next year. Shemar and Miles seem good to me, but the other returners need to step up their game to be contributors next year.  And who knows who will return with the portal etc. I guess we had a good year comparded to our past, but these last few games really hurt. We need some additions for sure.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2022, 12:54:05 PM »
Up until the last 3 games I had hope. It has been lost at this point. Last nights game was really poor as it seemed the effort was not there to keep up with RMU on loose balls and especially the inside game on both O and D. We need inside players who can not be intimidated,  can rebound and score. I thought we had that earlier in the season, but it has been lost as of late. As for next year who knows what the portal can bring. Two of our best players, Dwayne Cohill and Tevin Olison, came via the portal.  We need more and hope that Dwayne returns next year. Shemar and Miles seem good to me, but the other returners need to step up their game to be contributors next year.  And who knows who will return with the portal etc. I guess we had a good year comparded to our past, but these last few games really hurt. We need some additions for sure.

Agree 100% with this.  Just seems like the intensity factor got sucked out from halftime on of the IUPUI game.  YSU just had no answers to the zone and hasn't been able to stop the inside game even going back to that IUPUI game. 

Had YSU played competitive against WSU & NKU, maybe won one, and beat RMU then gotten beaten in the quarterfinals it wouldn't have been such a tough pill to swallow, but this season just didn't end well again after a lot of promise. 

Hopefully Cohill, Shemar, Myles & Dunn are back and can build around.  Chicone has got to be able to shoot better and be a threat to score.  I don't know what happened to Ogoro.  Shelton needs to regain his shooting if he's going to be effective.  Owen Long seems to play hard and can hit shots but is inconsistent.  Kind of excited to see Owens progress.  Was a little surprised Coach didn't insert him at times to help inside. 

Anyone know what Collen Gurley's deal was?  He's listed as a senior.  He scored over 1000 points in 3 years at Mount Union.   He was on the bench all year, not dressed of course.  Did he just sit the year out? 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »
Another point is that YSU is small at point guard Mayes and chicone are in the 5-10 area.  RMU and some others have small pt guards but they beat us off the dribble with their speed.  Last night Green was easily getting past Mayes and breaking down the D.   Mayes is a shooter in a pt guard body.

Don't give up on Luke.  He was a shooter in HS and he probably should of red shirted this season.   With one season under his belt Luke might look a lot better next year.

Someone mentioned Mattia Acunzo pertaining to adding size.  When I saw Mattia in HS he was more perimeter oriented in the Euro mode than some one like Spear's of RMU that is an eraser.

It's too early to speculate who is coming or going but most likely to transfer might be Chris Shelton or Jacori Owens.  Not that I want to see that happen but their playing time was limited.  Hopefully they will continue the grind and work on their craft.

Collen Gurley (redshirt)Played D3 ball last year and was MT Unions leading scorer.  Not a guy like Cohill that will take you off the dribble but known for his outside stroke.  Not sure how that plays out at the D1 level.

Is Greyson Kelly getting another year ?
Does Garrett Covington get a 6th year ?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 04:32:07 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »
Still have to see what Lucrotti and Irwin bring to the table!  I'm tired of just being competitive enough to go out in the play-offs.  I know the league is tough, but we have to take the next step!  We really disappointed a pretty large crowd in YSU terms last night!  Frustrating!

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2022, 07:45:05 PM »
Still have to see what Lucrotti and Irwin bring to the table!  I'm tired of just being competitive enough to go out in the play-offs.  I know the league is tough, but we have to take the next step!  We really disappointed a pretty large crowd in YSU terms last night!  Frustrating!

I posted a few full games earlier this year of Irwin & Lucarotti playing for Osbourne academy which plays a national prep schedule so they played much much tougher competition than a normal HS.

Never got a feel on Lucarotti .. He has nice size for a guard at 6-4 210 and seems very athletic.  Didn't see a consistent stroke but he did  hit threes.   I saw him struggle against a guard that was going to West Virginia.  Glad he redshirted which should give maturity for next season.

Thought Irwin would be the guy that wouldn't redshirt since he was physically ready for the college game.   He won't be a high flyer but he is a great shooter and is more of a stretch forward although he has post up game and being left handed can't hurt.  He also had some decent offers from MAC schools.
I think this is the first time in the Calhoun era that he was able to redshirt some frosh and hopefully that's the growth of the program or maybe just a result of a larger (covid) roster.

Just a point on the larger crowd that some posters have alluded to.  I started going to games in 70s when Beeghly was new .   The place was SRO for games againt Gannon,Akron and some others.  The upper bleachers were packed and the place was loud so when I hear about last nights crowd it still does not compare to the steal mill era.
Their loss to Randolph Macon in 1977 was probably one of toughest punch in the gut feelings I've had.  This was the first round of division 2 NCAA tournament that YSU hosted and we way more talented but they had great shooters and Jeff Covington had foul trouble that night.  RMC went all the way to the final and lost to Tennessee
Chattanooga.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 07:47:15 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 09:07:00 PM »

Just a point on the larger crowd that some posters have alluded to.  I started going to games in 70s when Beeghly was new .   The place was SRO for games againt Gannon,Akron and some others.  The upper bleachers were packed and the place was loud so when I hear about last nights crowd it still does not compare to the steal mill era.
Their loss to Randolph Macon in 1977 was probably one of toughest punch in the gut feelings I've had.  This was the first round of division 2 NCAA tournament that YSU hosted and we way more talented but they had great shooters and Jeff Covington had foul trouble that night.  RMC went all the way to the final and lost to Tennessee
Chattanooga.

You had to remind me about the Randolph Macon game, I was at the game. So excited at the start and so dejected at the end.

Crowds were much larger then, recall that Philadelphia Textile usually packed in the folks also.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2022, 09:43:35 PM »

Chattanooga.

You had to remind me about the Randolph Macon game, I was at the game. So excited at the start and so dejected at the end.

Crowds were much larger then, recall that Philadelphia Textile usually packed in the folks also.

I remember the Textile coach pushing the chair on the floor after the game.   Not quite Bobby Knight.   They had a guard named Emery Sammons that was one of the best at D2.