Author Topic: YSU - NKU MBB  (Read 2509 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - NKU MBB
« on: February 26, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »
Hard to believe YSU can shoot 56% from the field with 6 made 3's and a better % from the field than NKU but trail by 8 at halftime.  Give up 9 3's, have 9 turnovers, and can't believe Shemar missed 3 of 4 from the FT line.  YSU had some opportunities to expand the lead in the first half but didn't do it.  Only 3 points for Cohill after Wright State shut him down on Thursday.  YSU needs to slow down NKU and take care of the ball better if they are going to have a chance in the 2nd half. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - NKU MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 08:50:13 PM »
The offense execution against the NKU was terrible.   Akuchie worst game of his career and Cohil was just as bad.  Beat up on the boards especially offensive rebounds.
Was it great shooting By NKU or bad defense by YSU ?    Why is Ogoro in there against the zone when he's not a shot maker.  Why not Shelton ?

Good News is that they have a clean slate on there next home game.   Why not us and why not this Horizon league tournament !!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 08:56:03 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 08:53:45 PM »
YSU loses by 14 two days after losing by 13 to Wright State.  Disappointing to have a shot at the #2 seed to enter the weekend and control their own destiny for a top 4 seed and honestly not very competitive in either game basically getting beat from start to finish.  And then end up a #7 seed after starting the year 3-1 and going 8-1 in another stretch.

In this game YSU was down 16 in the 2nd half and NKU didn't score a FG for over 6 mins making just 1 FT.  YSU was able to get it down to 9, but had a lot of opportunities to really chew into the lead and couldn't take advantage of the opportunity.  Olison hit a 3 to get it down to 9 and then Coach called a TO, which sometimes I don't understand.  NKU finally scored a FG on the next possession and that was it.  YSU never got any closer.   YSU was a -9 on the boards and NKU just out-hustled them.

Thought Will Dunn played well with 14 and had a couple other opportunities to score inside and didn't.  9 points combined by Cohill and Akuchie...not going to win when that happens.  Myles had another nice game off the bench.   WSU and NKU both shut down Cohill.

YSU will play RMU at home on Tuesday.  Beat them by 4 on the road and lost to them by 5 at home to end their 6 game win streak so it's not going to be easy.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 09:02:38 PM »
it's pretty bad when your leading rebounder is your 5-10 pt guard who had 5.   Will Dunn has been good but only 1 rebound is not going to make a case for more minutes.  Team was great on the boards first two thirds of the season and as of late though toughness has gone south.
Myles Hunter has been playing his best basketball of late.  Great mid range shooting.

Mud,I didn't know we were playing RMU.   I'm sure they won't be intimidated.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 10:20:57 PM »
it's pretty bad when your leading rebounder is your 5-10 pt guard who had 5.   Will Dunn has been good but only 1 rebound is not going to make a case for more minutes.  Team was great on the boards first two thirds of the season and as of late though toughness has gone south.
Myles Hunter has been playing his best basketball of late.  Great mid range shooting.

Mud,I didn't know we were playing RMU.   I'm sure they won't be intimidated.

Just haven't looked sharp, struggled running the offense as everything looks difficult, definitely getting out-muscled.& too easy on the other end for both WSU & NKU. All year YSU has been competitive and outside of the first Oakland game, they've been in every league game. Didn't feel that that way in either of the games. These 2 reminded me of years past when double figure losses were common.

Going to be an uphill battle now. YSU was just 1-7 this year against the top 4 seeds with their only win a come from behind at home against Wight State.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2022, 09:16:12 AM »
We have sure taken steps backward in our performance. The teams with bigger inside players really give us trouble since Michael and Will are thinner and the bigger stronger inside guys have their way with us with easy inside baskets. And on the other end they make it difficult for us to score inside.  Jamir could help in those situations. Other team's offense looks easy and our almost impossible. We need our inside guys to get tougher to give us a chance in those games.

As for the others we don't have subs that can come in and contribute signicantly except for Miles.  Chris Shelton is a mystery to me. His defense must not be up to the coaches expectations because he seems to have the biggest upside of the other subs except for Miles. Daniel needs to get his shot improved for next season to have any help for us on offense. And Luke's size will always be a negative so the rest of his game needs to be top notch to have a positive impact. His shooting, especially since his hand injury, has been down.

Hopefully we can get a new player or two for next season to get to the level of the top teams in the league.  As for the upcoming tournament, I think we are facing an uphill battle.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2022, 11:20:53 AM »
The Robic/Slocum years destroyed the mens basketball program.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 12:46:49 PM »
Chris Shetlon led the nation last year in 3 PT % at 48.6%.  This year he's just a tick over 30%, has missed his last 9 attempts, is just 5 of his last 29, and hasn't made one since January 23.

While I didn't expect YSU to win both games, the biggest disappointment was they were basically beat from start to finish in both and really weren't competitive like they've been in every league game this year other than the first Oakland game.  I knew Wright St. was going to be tough.  They didn't have all of their starters in the home game that YSU was able to pull out.  I thought YSU would rebound and give NKU a game and maybe pull off the win.  YSU should have beaten them in the home game. 

After struggling during the early part of the league season, Myles has been very good and is what you expected for his season year.  Ogoro has been the biggest disappointment.  I was excited about him after showing some flashes of greatness last year.  You have to wonder if Chicone's hand injury has affected him.  He just hasn't been the same and has only scored 8 total points since that injury.  Shelton, Ogoro, and Chicone just haven't shot the ball well at all. 

I expect YSU to regroup and play well on Tuesday.  It would be demoralizing if they loss.  Then barring an upset would have to go on the road Thursday to PFW.  Didn't play great in either game against PFW this year but after this past weekend I can't say it would be better to play WSU or NKU