Author Topic: Horizon League MBB  (Read 3075 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Horizon League MBB
« on: February 20, 2022, 08:34:58 PM »
So Cleveland State wins the regular season championship for the 2nd straight year, that much we know.  It's crazy that 2-7 is up for grabs coming down to the last week.  I really don't think CSU is that much better than teams 2-7, but they know how to close out games with their senior leadership.  Case in point are the 2 YSU games that YSU had a chance to win it at the end, they beat RMU by 1, Detroit by 2, Wright St by 4.

Oakland really blew an opportunity this weekend at home blowing double digit leads to both Wright St & NKU.  On the other hand, Detroit put themselves back into contention with 2 big home wins against NKU & Wright St.  Those wins were critical for YSU allowing them to control their own destiny at a shot at a top 4 seed playing both NKU & Wright St. this weekend. 

It's hard to believe that PFW has worked their way into the 2 seed.  They've really come on strong since beating YSU the first time at home, as I really didn't think they were that great of a team (1-3 at the time in the conference).  They are 13-3 (1 non-conference win in there) starting with that win.  They have 2 tough games this weekend on the road at Oakland & Detroit.  YSU would need them to lose both, have Oakland lose to CSU and then YSU would have to win both to have a shot at the 2 seed. 

Hopefully YSU can at least split this week.  You'd hate to see them go 0-2, lose their momentum, and possibly drop to a 7 seed.  If they can't get a 1st round bye, would much rather them play IUPUI or Green Bay at home.  Robert Morris makes me nervous. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Horizon League MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Thanks for the up date mud.   I'm just thankful that the guys have won 18 games.  If you would have asked me what I thought back in January when they fell to 10- 10 it would have been an ugly take.
Coach C has gotten the program where they can compete with anyone in the league and hopefully he can get these guys over the hump and win a championship.

I thought with the two top players transfering along with Covington injury it was going to be a long season.  Got to give them credit for having their most wins ever in conference play.  I heard coach say something about Michael Akuchie staying the course and finishing what they started.   I wondering if that was part props to Mike and part  dissapointed in the the guys that could of came back who are as of today both part of losing programs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:10:13 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »
Maybe someone who knows more about this than me can explain why the #1 seed likely faces the top seed (#5) from the first round? It seems that being seeded fourth (where the highest seeded opponent possible in the quaterfinals is the 8th seed) is more advantageous than a higher seed?

https://horizonleague.org/documents/2021/9/15/2022_Men_s_Basketball_Bracket.pdf
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 02:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the up date mud.   I'm just thankful that the guys have won 18 games.  If you would have asked me what I thought back in January when they fell to 10- 10 it would have been an ugly take.
Coach C has gotten the program where they can compete with anyone in the league and hopefully he can get these guys over the hump and win a championship.

I thought with the two top players transfering along with Covington injury it was going to be a long season.  Got to give them credit for having their most wins ever in conference play.  I heard coach say something about Michael Akuchie staying the course and finishing what they started.   I wondering if that was part props to Mike and part  dissapointed in the the guys that could of came back who are as of today both part of losing programs.

Coach has made that comment about Akuchie staying the course many times this year and certainly moreso of late.  I have to think it's probably more props to him, but I do think part of it is disappointed in DQ & Naz.

And I agree to be sitting at 18-11 and 12-7 in the league with still a shot at the #2 seed going into the final weekend after what you said is impressive.  Outside of the final 6 mins against Penn State, the 2nd half against WVU and that 22-0 first half run by Oakland in the first game, YSU has been in every game this year.  That's pretty impressive.  And really other than losing the 2 games during the MTE tourney after Covington's injury and the RMU loss that they blew late, YSU has beaten everyone that they should have.  The 2 PFW losses were probably the next most disappointing, but obviously they've become a strong team. 

It's too bad they couldn't have found a way to pull out a win or 2 against NKU and/or the 2 CSU losses that they couldn't finish off down the stretch; that was all during that stretch when they lost 5 of 6. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 03:03:47 PM »
Maybe someone who knows more about this than me can explain why the #1 seed likely faces the top seed (#5) from the first round? It seems that being seeded fourth (where the highest seeded opponent possible in the quaterfinals is the 8th seed) is more advantageous than a higher seed?

I'm pretty positive they re-do the brackets for the quarterfinals and the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed.  If you notice, those brackets in the quarterfinals aren't connected to the first round brackets.  So CSU will play the lowest seed that wins

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 03:12:04 PM »

I'm pretty positive they re-do the brackets for the quarterfinals and the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed.  If you notice, those brackets in the quarterfinals aren't connected to the first round brackets.  So CSU will play the lowest seed that wins

Makes sense. Thanks.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IronGuin14

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 04:33:48 PM »
key word - Stay The Course!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 04:39:12 PM »
Yes, You have give it up for this team.  They could have folded like a cheap suit after all the close games they've been in and falling to 10-10, but instead they have fought through all the adversities and have become a team capable of beating anyone!  Two more wins on the road would be fantastic, but I'm thinking at least a split and 19 wins heading into the tournament would be nothing to sneeze at!  Way to go guys!  You've made us Penguin Proud!

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 06:58:53 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20220224/group/45

Who should we cheer for ?   

PFW vs Oakland
CSU vs UDM

I know the main thing is for YSU to win but can't help scoreboard watching.  Sorry Ron Potesta.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 09:05:33 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/schedule/_/date/20220224/group/45

Who should we cheer for ?   

PFW vs Oakland
CSU vs UDM

I know the main thing is for YSU to win but can't help scoreboard watching.  Sorry Ron Potesta.

Definitely want CSU to win.  Them losing 1 or both games does nothing for YSU or anyone else for that matter beings they've already clinched the #1 seed.  Need to keep Detroit in the rear view mirror.  If they win both games and YSU doesn't win both of theirs, they are going to jump ahead of YSU.  If they win 1 game and YSU doesn't win either game they are going to jump ahead of YSU.

The PFW vs Oakland game is a tricky one.  Need PFW to lose both and YSU to win both and YSU jumps to the #2 seed, otherwise it's probably best if they beat both Oakland and Detroit 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2022, 05:13:19 PM »
CSU laid an egg this weekend losing both games and even though they have the #1 seed going into the tourney they allowed PFW a share of the regular season championship.  Who would have ever thought PFW would do that!?  They ended up winning 9 straight and 14 of their last 17 all starting with the first YSU win and their only 3 losses in that stretch were to Oakland and NKU & WSU on the road.

With the Detroit loss today, YSU has an opportunity to move up to the #6 seed if they can beat NKU tonight, which would be pretty big as they'd face Green Bay instead of RMU.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2022, 06:23:25 PM »
Thanks for your updates mud.   Give  PFW credit since last season they finished in second to last place . 
Keep your neucleus add some transfers and recruit well might be the recipe to make the NCAA.