Author Topic: YSU vs RMU  (Read 3414 times)

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs RMU
« on: February 13, 2022, 05:06:10 PM »
Totally blew that one but give RM credit as they're playing better basketball .  Spear their big man went 10 of 11 and made 3 of 3 from behind the line.  Who is guarding  him !!

Two out of the last three games teams have out scored YSU at the ft line.   Home court advantage ?  Coach needs to start working the refs.

Love coach C but I thought he let his frustrations get to him and over subed today.  Need to keep the best 5 on the court and that might mean Will Dunn needs more minutes.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs RMU
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »
How many times in the Calhoun era did we climb the proverbial mountain only to stumble down in a most bizarre way?  How do you beat Oakland and Detroit and then give such a pathetic effort against a bad team? (Sorry Buck, RMU is a bad team.)  How do you build fan support in a community that really does not care for basketball very much when you puke away opportunities like this?

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 01:53:32 AM »
I thought it was a weird game.  YSU seemingly was in control most of the way, but I never felt very confident.    Shemar was never the same after getting hurt in the first half and that really hurt.  Even though Chicone is smart with the ball, makes good passes he's just not a scoring threat.  YSU had some bad fouls like at the end of the half with them shooting a 3 that allowed them to cut it to 5, the one by Hunter late in the 2nd half with the shock clock at 2, and RMU got some lucky bounces on rebounds that they converted.  There just was several plays that you had a weird feeling that were going to come back & bite YSU.   

I've said during this win streak Coach has done a great job at managing the players and keeping who's playing best on the floor not just trying to play everyone.  I don't know if it was trying to manage mins due to this being the 3rd game in 5 days was part of it, but he seemed frustrated with the starters early in the 2nd half and I felt kept the subs in there too long and allowed them right back in the game.   

But even after that YSU had opportunities to put them away when they were up 9-10 and it just seemed like they almost quit playing and didn't have the intensity.  It had the feel of a league game earlier in the year when YSU was suffering those tough losses.   YSU makes more shots, outrebounds them, more assists, and less turnovers but lose.  The difference was RMU was getting to the FT line 11 more times and making 9 more than YSU.

Glad Hunter is playing very well of late.  Ogoro just can't going.  Will Dunn had 3 strong performances in a row but hasn't scored more than 5 points in each of the last 4 games.  And I can't figure out what has happened to Jamir Thomas.  He was contributing during non-league play, but has only scored a total of 9 points in league play and hasn't even scored since the January 15 Wright St. game.  He just doesn't look comfortable out there.   

It's a shame to allow this one to slip away as NKU and Oakland both won and that drops YSU back to 6th in the standings.   I would think now they're going to have to win 4 of the last 5 to have any shot at that first round bye. 

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 01:18:58 PM »
  Calhoun and Dan peters two best coaches we have had in the past 30 years.  Our facilities are a joke compared to most of the teams in our conference.  Going to be nearly impossible to ever be among the top 1-2 in the league.  No tradition, no money, no creative marketing, etc.   Indiana consistently will never beat Ohio State and Michigan in football because of what I cited above.   YSU likely never going to be among the best in the Horizon League because of the same issues.  That is fact.  Slocum wasn't a bad coach, won big at Geneva and Gannon.  But YSU's issues are real.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 02:07:42 PM »
I felt this team was starting to the program around for the future, but then they lose at home to Robert Morris team with a bad record!  Completely destroyed my enthusiasm!  They could still win 18-19 games this season, but  can't afford to lose these types of games at home to teams with losing records!  And, then you wonder why we can't fill Beeghley Center up!  Know you know!  You have create a tradition of winning, and losing to teams with losing records when you are on a roll does not help!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 04:58:28 PM »
Wick said exactly what I was trying to say!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 07:49:11 PM »
I agree with Mudclods above.  We have been in many close games and you win some and you loose some.  Things went RMU's way, especially at the end of the game. The one error that the coaches made I thought was substituting almost the entire starting lineup when they were frustrated at the beginning of the 2nd half. The  minutes that lineup was in the game cost us the lead at that point which we couldn't afford. The other thing that cost us badly I thought was Dwayne Cohill's foul on the 3 point shot at the end of the 1st half when we were up 8. Who knows if the 3 would have been good, but he made the 3 free throws and it was a 5 point lead at half instead of 8. But more importantly it was the 2nd foul on Cohill and fouling on a 3 is always a bad idea. When he got to 4 fouls in the 2nd half things got bad and we really collapsed.  He could not be his aggressive self on offense or defense with 4 fouls and it hurt us.  He is so important to us in my opinion.  We were up 10 with 7 minutes to go, 64 to 54.  We only scored 4 points the rest of the game.  Without Cohill driving to the basket, our offense really is in trouble. And shots weren't falling; lots of in and out shots. I think with Cohill being himself and being supper aggressive that wouldn't have happened. And Shemar wasn't himself after the injury in the 1st half. Put it all together and it adds up to a loss. Probably the team was a little overconfident also after all the wins and RMU's recent games. Then RMU made some shots and got confidence and we were in trouble.  Hope they can get things straight and finish the season strong. We are not that bad.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 03:39:29 PM »
Lot of negativity on this thread and I'm guilty too.   If you would have said YSU would win 6 in a row and a win over Oakland but they get a loss to 6-19 RMU you for sure would  take that deal.    I was p.o. since I saw a window to 9 in a row.   

I think coach was going nuts with a few turn overs from Shemar and went to  Luke but Chicone never looked confortable running the offense against their zone.   I'm giving Luke some slack since I didn't see a competent attack against their zone.  Guys were not moving and I saw very few screens or any decent motion.

If the penguins close out the home stand with a couple of wins,I'm sure we'll all feel good.

There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."  - Woody Hayes -
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 03:42:06 PM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2022, 06:53:59 PM »
No Pen 68!  We are not! We are actually pretty damn good, but you can't afford to lose games at home against 6-19 teams when you are fighting to get into the top four!  Actually! The Covington injury really destroyed what would have probably been a 20-22 game win season!  I appreciate Coach Calhoun is trying really hard to get this program as one of the top teams in the league!  I imagine as hard as he is pushing and recruiting, we will really be proud of this program in the not too distant future!