Author Topic: YSU vs UIC MBB  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU vs UIC MBB
« on: February 05, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »
Survived today with a close win that could have gone either way.  Dwayne Cohill saved the day in my opinion with his drives to the basket late in the game when most of our players just passed the ball around the 3 point line. At the end UIC's full court press was really effective against us and almost cost us the game. It looks good when they to it and it looks bad when we try it! Anyway it is a four game win streak I think going into the Oakland game at home Wednesday. A tall task, but we wil give it a go.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs UIC MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2022, 07:24:19 PM »
Great win on the road.  always feel this team goes as Olison & Cohill go and both scored and rebounded the ball well.  With the exception of Olison (Owen Long too)the outside shooting was not there so the Penguins scored around the basket and dominated in the paint along and outrebounding UIC.    Seven turnovers wasn't bad except a few came late and almost created a loss.

Teams are going to take something away so you have to explot another way and coach had the guys taking the ball to the hoop.
Four in a row and would love to see them break six in a row which they did in 2019.  Not easy but why not.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU vs UIC MBB
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 12:38:52 AM »
Thought this was a very good win for YSU.  I realize UIC is not in the top half of the league, but thought YSU played well for the most part on both sides of the ball.  To get another 2-game road sweep and come back home for 5 straight on a four-game win streak is huge. 

Olison and Cohill were both tremendous and Akuchie was was great on the boards, which was a big part of YSU +10 in rebounding.  I thought Owen Long was key after struggling for awhile.  He came in and scored those 5 points when UIC was starting to pull away and YSU couldn't score.  That was big in turning that first half around.  He also had a steal and made a few real nice effort plays to grab loose balls.

This would have been a painful loss if YSU would have gave this one away after 3 really bad turnovers at the end.  Sooner or later these close games had to go the other way, but it's still concerning closing out games.

I also thought Coach did a good job playing who was playing well, not playing everyone or not the constant rotation where it seems to sometimes hurt this team. 

Detroit ended NKU's 6-game win streak, which was good for YSU.  The battle for 4th is tight with NKU at 8-5, Detroit 6-4 & YSU at 8-6. PFW is 7-6 and has a good chance at tying with YSU as they play Green Bay at home on Sunday.  Oakland has now lost 2 straight and play YSU on Wednesday