Author Topic: YSU - IUPUI MBB  (Read 3018 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - IUPUI MBB
« on: February 03, 2022, 05:22:39 PM »
YSU is a 12.5-13.5 point favorite tonight. YSU has won 15 of the 17 games all-time against IUPUI. IUPUI is 2-17 with their only 2 wins coming against non D1 schools. They are last in the net rankings of all D1 schools. This is 1 of the 5 games that YSU should have no trouble winning then you have Oakland, Detroit, Wright State & NKU & need to find a way to win a couple of those to have a shot at that 4th seed

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - IUPUI MBB
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 07:30:51 PM »
IUPUI dressed only 6 players tonight. The arena was practically empty due to the snow storm.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 07:40:47 PM »
So much for a 12.5 favorite!  Need to not let them think they can stay in this game!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »
We are tied at the half although they only have 6 players. Wow.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 07:59:44 PM »
Now behind!  Are you kidding me?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 09:43:48 PM »
not what you call a solid performance

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 12:04:45 AM »
That might have been one of the ugliest wins I can remember outside of barely beating Westminster 4 years.  Worst scoring D1 school in the nation, lowest D1 net ranked team, only 2 wins against non D1 schools, they dress 6 players, looked like 3 fans in the stands and YSU only wins by 6.

Same old story in these games, YSU jumps out to a double digit first half lead (12 this time) and it's gone by halftime and the other team has all of the momentum.

Give IUPUI credit for playing hard and not bowing down even when it looked like they might get blown out early.  I don't think you can say YSU didn't come ready to play because they pretty solid when they were up 12 then coach changed the lineup and it looked like YSU lost all of their intensity and couldn't get in any flow on offense, couldn't rebound, and poor effort on a lot of plays.

It was good to see Myles Hunter had another nice game, thankfully Shemar was back because Chicone really struggled again and just doesn't shoot the ball well.  I thought Cohill and Shemar were the difference in the 2nd half.  YSU won the game by making FT (16-20) to their (4-10) and scoring 16 points off their turnovers to just 2 by IUPUI.   

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 10:52:40 AM »
Not the result I expected need to bring more than your C game every night. If they play that way when Oakland comes to town they're going to get speed boated.  It was frustating that YSU could not post up when IUPUI big guy went to the bench which meant their biggest guy was 6-5.   Luke will be ok and I know he can shoot it from seeing multiple HS games,it will come down to confidence and getting back into a game rythm.

Need to see Olison step up with his consistency.  One night he looks like a next level player and the next he's a bench warmer naia guy.

IUPI's B.J. Maxwell is in 7th season of college basketball.  That means Luke Chicone was in the 7th grade when B.J was playing his first year of college.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 10:53:43 AM by ucfpengbuck »

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 01:04:21 PM »
Not the result I expected need to bring more than your C game every night. If they play that way when Oakland comes to town they're going to get speed boated.  It was frustating that YSU could not post up when IUPUI big guy went to the bench which meant their biggest guy was 6-5.   Luke will be ok and I know he can shoot it from seeing multiple HS games,it will come down to confidence and getting back into a game rythm.

Need to see Olison step up with his consistency.  One night he looks like a next level player and the next he's a bench warmer naia guy.

IUPI's B.J. Maxwell is in 7th season of college basketball.  That means Luke Chicone was in the 7th grade when B.J was playing his first year of college.

Yes I agree on the above. Need more consistency out of Olison. I know Coach loves to play a lot of guys but sometimes I feel it hurts YSU like it did last night.

The Maxwell deal is crazy. He'll be 25 in June. This is his 4th school. Maybe he'll be granted an 8th year for playing on the worst D1 school 😂

Chicone is great with the ball & passing but he's hesitant shooting the ball & seems to panic at times. He's mostly short on his shots. The injury set him back as well.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 01:28:44 PM »
Chicone is a good point guard with excellent ball handling, passing skills and vision. Right now, he lacks the confidence to take outside jump shots. I also think his “short on his shots” could be caused by him not used to being defended by much taller and better defenders in College D-1 level (comparing it HS). His shots will improve when he gains additional game playing experience.

As for the game, IUPUI could actually have better continuity and flow of the by playing the same guys throughout. At this level, many players could played over 35 minutes in a game. It could also be easier on the coach since he didn’t have to worry about spreading out the minutes for his other scholarship players to keep them happy.
As for these 6 players, they also didn’t have to keep looking over their shoulders for being yanked out by the coach for making mistakes. They just had to enjoy playing the game and stay out of foul trouble.

I know this is strange way of looking at last night’s game. But, I am just trying to come up with a reason to explain why we had trouble with this team last night. I could be wrong.

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 03:57:11 PM »
Double ET, interesting thoughts on "continuity and flow" that IUPUI was forced with only 6 players.  Sometime I wonder When Calhoun pulls out starters if that effects YSU's flow.   I'd like to see the starters go hard with no subs for a longer duration unless of course foul trouble.  After all they are starters who should be the best five.

I'm sure coach has his reasons and knows better than I ever will but knowing he has to keep scholarship players happy what other factors goes into a head coaches thought process.   Some will say matchups with the other teams substitutions but IUPUI is not a good example since their personnel was limited to 6 players.

I'm from the old school that the players need to make the coach happy and not the coach making the players happy.  Maybe with the transfer portal outrageous numbers that thought is not practicable in 2022.