Author Topic: Cleveland State  (Read 3054 times)

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Cleveland State
« on: January 09, 2022, 06:49:30 PM »
Was at the game today. Disappointing to say the least. I thought Shemar, Myles, Daniel, Dwayne, and Tevin played great. But inside we were completely over matched as they got shot after shot and rebound after rebound. Rebounding was bad and inside defense bad also. And the refs didn't go our way in my opinion. The last play for us in regulation with Dwayne driving to the basket and no foul called sealed our fate. Cleveland State got all the easy inside baskets all game and we had to fight for our points. Many plays hurt us and all we needed was one more in regulation. They are the better team and our chances against them in Cleveland are not good. Our inside game killed us. Surprised by no Jamir all game. Who knows what the coaches are thinking about players to help inside, but he gives us a chance physically where the others do not.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Cleveland State
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 07:55:18 PM »
Disappointing to say the least!  But until we recruit more big guys interior defense and rebounding will always be a problem.  We need a couple 6-9, 6-10 guys! 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 08:03:41 PM »
Shine and excitement definitely starting to wear off Calhoun and the program.Can't keep losing games like this. Lot of excuses coming from coach postgame lately. We are young, injuries, schedule, blah blah. You are what your record says and so far, it's been average.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 08:53:59 PM »
Killer loss.  Give YSU credit for battling hard after pretty much an inexcusable loss Friday.  I thought YSU really blew a chance at the end of the 1st half with 2 empty possessions, basically not even getting a shot off.  It just felt like they when CSU got it down to 8 at half they took some of YSU's energy away and they were a different team the 2nd half.  CSU's coach seemed to make the necessary adjustments.

Still too many turnovers and a few horrible ones, but it was the lack of rebounding I think was the difference.  Just missing not being able to grab the last one before their 3 to tie the game was dagger, but YSU couldn't have got much of a better look on the last possession to win, but Cohill just couldn't find.

Shemar was terrific, reminded me more of some of his games last year.  Couldn't get any production out of Akuchie.  Besides Olison and Cohill, Ogoro was much better but still missed his only FT attempt.  He's now 5-14...unbelievable. 

Thought it was odd no PT for Jamir.  And Chicone apparently broke his wrist in the last game?

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 10:47:20 PM »
All the other teams in the league are going through the same problems!  Detroit had no trouble after a 10 day lay-off with Milwaukee the other night!  But yet the same problems keep showing up, and we're hearing the same things over and over!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2022, 11:08:28 PM »
Let's face it.  This job has to be a complete soul sucker.

ZERO success in generations
ZERO gameday environment
BAD venue
INEPT Athletic Department 
NO EXPECTATIONS
HOME SCHEDULE PEPPERED WITH D3 SCHOOLS

Its 2022 and you can't even post an in-game action pic on Twitter.  Not to mention its a home game against arguably your only rivalry.  However, rivalries require success by both teams.

So many challenges to overcome as the coach at YSU and the Ath Dept is lazy with NO talent.  Schmidt was a hire from local TV and is nothing more then wasted space collecting a check.  It really is a joke!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 11:42:07 PM »
Calhoun is an upgrade over Slocum.  No question about that. But something is really starting to bother me.  This is his fifth year, correct?  His original recruiting class was excellent.  He then brought in Quisenberry in his second class.  Then the recruits became less impressive with each passing year.  Should it not work the exact opposite way? 

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 11:37:29 AM »
  Goodnews said it all, so many excuses.  Generations of losing, doesn't seem to matter who the coach is.  Dan Peters had a small degree of success, couldn't sustain it and he knew it.  He left a D-1 head coaching position her to return as an assistant.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 01:42:00 PM »
There's a lot of basketball left to be played.  I'm disappointed like everyone else but not ready to start getting all negative.  I think the large number of turn overs is a symtom that this team is lacking chemistry .   Yes,coach can't make exuses about youth or injuries he's the CEO and hopefully he'll get things going but players win games and I hate to admit that CSU has a few studs that YSU lacks.   

Penguins lack beef in the post.  Akuchie plays his butt off but needs help.  Hunter,Olison,and Cohill are all shooting guards who scrap on the boards but are not going to stop other teams bigs.

Anyone know how long Chicone is out for?  I love watching him play.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 02:38:26 PM »
I was not able to make to any games in person. However, I watched all the games on ESPN and BIG.
I think our shooting guards are not good defenders. It really hurted our defense when Covington went down. I also think our better defending guards (Hunter and Ogoro (? Spelling) are not good shooters.

Lately, the league teams have finally figured it out. They overplayed our guys to about 22 feet. We had difficulty in taking good open 3 ball. It seems our guys were continuously moving around in circle and nobody was setting solid screens.

We also had difficulties in driving towards the basket. Even if we got there, we couldn’t finish the play because of the other team’s height advantage around the basket. Cohill was the only one could pull up from his drive and make the short jumper.
We will need to put in some heights inside, going forward. Dunn was able to alter some shots when he was in there.

I hope all our shooting guards start to get hot shooting the 3 balls. Otherwise, it might be a long season.