Author Topic: YSU - PFW MBB  (Read 2665 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU - PFW MBB
« on: January 07, 2022, 09:35:24 PM »
YSU loses 71-61 but it was close throughout until a bunch of FT late.

Coach said post game on the radio it was a piss poor performance and he's pissed off, and certainly should be.

Really disappointing loss.  YSU didn't have any energy, not sure if they looked past PFW to Cleveland St. on Sunday or what.  PFW scored 20 points off YSU's 14 turnovers.  YSU just 6-12 from the line and missed a bunch of key ones when it was close.

I really thought once YSU got over the hump in the 2nd half and took the lead they were going to be ok.  I thought the game changed when YSU was down 1 and threw it away and PFW had a breakaway dunk.  That gave them the momentum back.  No idea why their player wasn't given a technical as he taunting YSU when coach called the timeout.  Coach was hot. 

Didn't think it was a very good officiated game, but that was besides the point. 

Nice game for Chicone with 13, but I can't understand why him and Ogoro continually cannot shoot free throws. Chicone is now 9-18 and Ogoro is 5-13 this year.

Everything is a struggle for YSU on offense ever since the WVU game. 

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU - PFW MBB
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 07:53:15 AM »
PFW physically matched up well against us.  Cohill and Ollison were taking the ball to the hoop and getting stripped or blocked.  Like Mud said the energy level was much higher on the PFW side.  They came to play and contested the whole shot clock.   YSU never established an inside game and 5 of 22 from three isn't a recipe for a win.

Is this team a microcosm of the last two games ?  I hope not but Horizon league teams have a good understanding at this point  in the season of what our strong and weak points are as we do of them.

Love watching Luke Chicone.  He seemed to play with more confidence last night and when he decides to attack whether on driives or pull up shots good things happen.  With experience and physical maturity Luke should have a nice career.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 08:10:46 AM »
Agree totally with the last 2 posts. We can't have 5 guys at the 3 point line and pass the ball around the horn.  Mike A needs to be in the paint, not at the 3 point line taking 3's to take the heat off the others. Tevin O and Dwayne C are our outside and drive to the basket threats now, and they are getting double teams each time they get the ball.  Need Daniel O and Miles H to improve there offensive game for us to improve or get others in the lineup. The other teams have us figured out at this point. Loosing Garrett sure hurts.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 08:46:35 AM »
I was angry when I walked out of Beeghly last evening.  This morning I have a more realistic outlook.  We have no quality wins whatsoever. The only truly good team in the Horizon League blew us off the court in the first half. We could not even handle a mediocre league opponent on our own floor. We are an average team in one of the lowest-rated DI leagues. High expectations for this bunch is unreasonable.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »
Sad to say but YSU Basketball is still irrelevant .  The transfer portal certainly didn't help the cause and will probably never help this program but rather hurt like it did this past season.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »
This team just isn't that good.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 07:32:52 PM »
What concerns me the most are the turnovers and lack of being efficient on offense.  This game reminded me of the loss to Niagara, and I chalked that up to being tired after the 3rd game in 3 days and having no time to prepare without Covington. 

I was surprised YSU made really no effort to try and get Akuchie and Thomas the ball inside, and maybe Owens and Dunn aren't ready yet, but their size really isn't being utilized.  And I wish we could get more than 10 mins out of Thomas. 

When YSU went on the 5 game winning streak with road Horizon League wins along with good wins over Central Michigan and Canisius and throw in Westminster, I thought maybe they got over the hump.  They averaged 78 and gave up 60 during that stretch.

Then came WVU.  YSU played a terrible first half (WVU was worse), but was only down 1 then they got blown out in the 2nd half.  Throw out the Defiance game.  The Oakland game had the horrible stretch when YSU couldn't score and got outscored by 22. 

Now the last 2 games have been similar, only difference was Robert Morris wasn't as good as the mediocre PFW.

I felt like early on this YSU team was one of most athletic in recent years and if they could shoot the ball well and play defense they'd be dangerous.  Defense hasn't been so much the issue this year as it was in some years past.  YSU needs to find some guys to step up.  Without Covington, they need a leader besides Akuchie.  Cohill's advantage in a lot of earlier games was his speed as him and Olison could get to the basket and score, now they seem like they are either getting stripped or just lack the size to finish. 

Shemar can knock down shots, but I feel like his size is really hurting him this year.  He can't get to the basket at all successfully and has turned the ball over a lot as well.  Definitely need more out of Hunter and Ogoro as well.   

Surprisingly CSU only beat Robert Morris by 1 last night.  YSU needs to find a way to win or the early road wins aren't going to mean much and they are going to find themselves in the middle of the pack of a down year of Horizon League.  Felt like Oakland and CSU were clearly the best teams and YSU would be in the next group with the likes of Wright St and Detroit.         

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2022, 10:54:44 PM »
So much for we have to take care of home court!  Coach wonders why we can't fill Beeghley Center up.  its performances like this!