Author Topic: Murray State heading to the Missouri Valley  (Read 6794 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Murray State heading to the Missouri Valley
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 08:32:23 AM »
EKU and JSU both left the OVC. They are going into the ASUN, a conference which will be IA/FBS in a year.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 01:23:28 PM »
EKU and JSU both left the OVC. They are going into the ASUN, a conference which will be IA/FBS in a year.

Thanks for reminding me all those schools are moving up, some were recently D2. I need to go for a walk!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 05:38:25 PM »

Thanks for reminding me all those schools are moving up, some were recently D2. I need to go for a walk!

ASUN is and will remain a FCS conference, so EKU is not going to FBS.  JSU will spend only 2022 in ASUN before moving to Conference USA and FBS.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2022, 01:23:51 PM »
It is madness to not have the Dakota Marker game annually, or any of the Dakota inter/intra-state rivalries. Playing it OOC would deprive these schools of either a money game or a red meat game.

Will Murray, a team that hasn't been in the playoffs for 20 years, and only had one FCS playoff win ever, hurt current members ability to get at-large playoff bids by watering down the conference SOS?

If we're scavenging for OVC roadkill, why not go after Eastern IL, which would immediately have natural rivals, is a better geographic fit, and has been in the FCS playoffs seven times since Murray's last appearance?

Murray's acceptance to the MVFC was likely only due to their acceptance into the MVC for other sports. 

Interesting also that their HC is Dean Hood, who was a candidate for the YSU job before the dumpster fire became HC.

"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2022, 10:53:52 AM »

ASUN is and will remain a FCS conference, so EKU is not going to FBS.  JSU will spend only 2022 in ASUN before moving to Conference USA and FBS.

Thanks, that makes me feel some better!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2022, 11:23:42 AM »
I noticed on the spring releases, the ASUN is making a big deal out of football, but also being very public about Liberty NOT being a football member. Like the MVFC, the ASUN football conference will be independent from the rest of the conference, but not as separated as the MVFC/MVC. So it looks like they begin 2022 with UCA (Central Arkansas), EKU (Eastern Kentucky), JSU (Jacksonville State), KSU (Kennesaw State) and UNA (North Alabama) as football members. I also understand they will receive a bid to the FCS tourney because they have a minimum 5 qualifying members.

The remaining OVC football member schools and Big South will be merging, as the Big South allows football-only membership. So since the Big South and ASUN are sister conferences, does anyone think there will be some type of further conference merger? I still think one of these conferences will become FBS.